Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life  
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-07 13:28   [Quote] 
I could not find another thread.

I had sort of not kept up with Zappa for most of the 80s. Though I did go see some bands, much less than my concert going in the 70s. I lived a few blocks from the clubs in my college towns and could walk home, so drinking was not an issue.

But anyway, this was about the time my older kid was born and I still did not go to clubs. So the CDs were a bit of a window to my crazy youth. We even had a record store in our suburb.

I was then a bit surprised mostly at all the covers. I approved of the band, reminded me of the Old Zappa, with lots of wind instruments. I also got to like some songs I had skipped over. Like Torture. It had a great guitar part here. Inca Roads is always a favorite, but somewhere around this time I also had got the Helsinki set so there was also something to compare to with these tracks.

Somewhere in the 90s I then proceeded to get albums from the missing 80s era. Still, almost none of them could equal this album and the Helsinki set, which were crucial to my rediscovery of Zappa. Läther was a big favorite as well, so those three were my favorites in the 90s. I even made some cassettes to play in the car, though I had to select the less "harmful" ones so my kid did not take bad words to kindergarten.

My kid picked up an interest in music from a copy I made of this album
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_Motion_(album) ...not working well link...OK... click the "Perpetual Motion (album), an album of classical material played on the banjo by Béla Fleck along with an assortment of accompanists" there

I then found out he liked some of Jazz From Hell, so I added those tracks as well. We played a lot of Beatles as well. I think the first Beatles song he really liked was I Wanna Be Your Man, and he would sing it in the back seat of our car. When he was about 10 he would play The Blues Brothers albums almost every week. We watched the movie dozens of times.

Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2019-01-08 10:41   [Quote] 
Seeing/hearing Zappa on the 1988 tour was a great experience - he was in a good mood here in Norway (the Fornebu schausage show) and it was an absolute kick to see the big set up and hear the band tackle so much great music, including Ravel's Bolero. I was a bit more skeptical about the first releases from the 1988 tour, because the so called "Best Band" had a somewhat "corny" flavour compared to its eminent forebears from 1973/4. For instance, I enjoyed the OSFA suite, but didn't it have just a little stale taste compared to the mid-Seventies renditions? So, always a little on the fence about "The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life", I ended up at one point selling the first fatbox 2CD - although of course bought it again years later with the Schenkel cover. However, just after that dismissal I discovered "Make A Jazz Noise Here" - which was a revelation and still my favourite of that era, with a distinct 1988 flavour - "uh-oh-ah-fire-and-chains-fire-and-chains!"

paper82
austria.gif
Post 2019-01-08 11:05   [Quote] 
Dark Clothes wrote:
[..] However, just after that dismissal I discovered "Make A Jazz Noise Here" - which was a revelation and still my favourite of that era, with a distinct 1988 flavour - "uh-oh-ah-fire-and-chains-fire-and-chains!"

MAJNH used to be one of my absolute faves when I first got it ca. 20 years ago. But I have not given it a "serious" listen for many, many years. These days I usually play The Best Band when I need some '88. However, my initial enthusiasm for this tour has cooled down considerably over the years. I, however, love Franks Guitar (sound+solos) from this tour.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
paper82
austria.gif
Post 2019-01-08 11:12   [Quote] 
Tero wrote:
Inca Roads is always a favorite[..]

I love the version on The Best Band. Will spin it now. Thanks for the reminder!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-08 14:02   [Quote] 
I am not a collector of ”tapes”, but I have the Helsinki set from 88. There is no Swaggart or political material. Overall the concert is much like Best Band but some Jazz Noise items thrown in. Also the classical covers and Whipping Post, this being Helsinki. Zappa’s solos are enjoyable, but listening to simple thunk thunk of drums ruins it for me for these audience tapes. You can’t hear the cymbals at all.

I once thought of trying to compile 80 minutes from the 4 CDs but gave up. I did condense the Jazz Noise CDs to one disc. I don’t much care for Star Wars etc. MOST of the time I trust Zappa compiling his live material. Roxy and Elsewhere still plays fine as it is.

warewolf95
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-09 00:02   [Quote] 
Tero wrote:
I am not a collector of ”tapes”, but I have the Helsinki set from 88. There is no Swaggart or political material. Overall the concert is much like Best Band but some Jazz Noise items thrown in. Also the classical covers and Whipping Post, this being Helsinki. Zappa’s solos are enjoyable, but listening to simple thunk thunk of drums ruins it for me for these audience tapes. You can’t hear the cymbals at all.

I once thought of trying to compile 80 minutes from the 4 CDs but gave up. I did condense the Jazz Noise CDs to one disc. I don’t much care for Star Wars etc. MOST of the time I trust Zappa compiling his live material. Roxy and Elsewhere still plays fine as it is.

Check out Cologne, Mannheim, Dortmund, Copenhagen, Lund, Wurzburg

Those are some of the best sounding AUD recordings of FZ, period! Fantastic shows as well. If you are looking for show quality AND recording quality, go straight for Wurzburg. The best 88 recording by far, imo.

feralcats
Post 2019-01-09 03:25   [Quote] 
I feel similarly to Dark Clothes about a lot of the material, which is probably why I'm in the weird position of having the 88 band be one of my favorites bands while having to be honest in saying that I think I've heard the entirety of "The Best Band" all the way through maybe once, and I remember feeling exhausted and bored through the 2nd half of the second disc (and, as I normally feel, ready to take a break at the end of the first one). It's not just a lot---it's that the early 70's material *does* feel stale to me here. I've been waiting for it to kick in for me for *years*---not writing it off completely yet, have had a lot of incredible FZ retries the past few years, but maybe a little skeptical.

It does have my very favorite arrangement of "Let's Move To Cleveland", though. Kinda Nino-Rotaish. And I don't care what anyone says---the Stairway To Heaven is one of FZ's masterpieces. Really wish his "I Am The Walrus" could have made it here.

Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-09 04:53   [Quote] 
Feralcats, agreed, there is some of the Zappa cover band feel for the old material. So the newer the material, the better it worked for the band. However, a handful of the old tunes work for me no matter in what form.

Will keep Wurzburg in mind. Quick check showed I have Mannheim burned to disc from 88.

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-01-09 19:29   [Quote] 
There is a bit of a Zappa Revue vibe to Best Band but Jazz Noise makes up for it, evens it out. Plus I've become a fan of
Broadway over the years. Wasn't it Thunes who said he wished he could have ditched the horns? Imagine that band without 'em
and put Ray White back into the mix. Who knows what could have developed...

But like Dark Clothes, seeing this live without any idea what to expect (at least me) really was an exciting night. The Revue aspect worked as it really was a Celebration, the return of Frank to the stage after 4 long years. Thank the Lord I made it! Scalped a ticket on the street.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
WonkyWilly
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-10 12:42   [Quote] 
warewolf95 wrote:

Those are some of the best sounding AUD recordings of FZ, period! Fantastic shows as well. If you are looking for show quality AND recording quality, go straight for Wurzburg. The best 88 recording by far, imo.

Interesting theory, but I would generally disagree.

Wurzburg suffers from someone moving the mic around or people walking past the mic or wind blowing or who knows what. The stereo image and treble frequencies are very unstable.

There are a couple better sounding recordings from 88 - most notably Offenbach, DC2, Philly1 & both Chicago shows.

I would also say that 1976 (!!!) and 1984 were the best years for audience tapes, with several superb examples to choose from that sound better to me than any 1988 tape.

That being said, there are definitely tapes on this tracker listed as A/A- quality that don't even come close in my opinion, and even more infreuqently there are tapes with B+ ratings that deserve much higher. I guess everybody has their opinion.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2019-01-10 19:13   [Quote] 
1988 tour ws good in parts sad as it was Frank's last... I spent the shows waiting for Frank to play solos
the rest was poor.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-10 21:30   [Quote] 
It was listenable stuff for me, but then shortly after we had the news of Zappa and that kind of marked the 90s.

I like all the brass covers, Sofa here is one of my favorites. I have not found a better recording of Heavy Duty Judy, so I extract those two and Ring of Fire fro any playlists of the ear, aling with Jazz Noise tracks.

I found a good cover of Heavy Duty Judy from Z3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAHVX5jTSpY

that appears to be a downloadable album on Amazon. I just extracted the one track.

warewolf95
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-11 00:06   [Quote] 
WonkyWilly wrote:
warewolf95 wrote:

Interesting theory, but I would generally disagree.

Wurzburg suffers from someone moving the mic around or people walking past the mic or wind blowing or who knows what. The stereo image and treble frequencies are very unstable.

There are a couple better sounding recordings from 88 - most notably Offenbach, DC2, Philly1 & both Chicago shows.

I would also say that 1976 (!!!) and 1984 were the best years for audience tapes, with several superb examples to choose from that sound better to me than any 1988 tape.

That being said, there are definitely tapes on this tracker listed as A/A- quality that don't even come close in my opinion, and even more infreuqently there are tapes with B+ ratings that deserve much higher. I guess everybody has their opinion.

As someone who has marathoned 1984 and 1988 both, we are gonna have to disagree on that Wink Still loads of great tapes from 84 though! Smile

Glad you mentioned 76 - I noticed that as well!!! Particularly the fall tour is loaded with excellent recordings!

1980 is another year that has a metric crap ton of excellent recordings as well, from the spring, summer and fall tours.

Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-28 13:01   [Quote] 
A real reggae version Ring of Fire
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rk-Ra9ltHNw

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT

Jump to: