Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Author seeking help on Zappa interview book  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
PaulZollo
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-08 23:57   [Quote] 
Hello my fellow Zappateers: I'm Paul Zollo, writer-author, working on a Zappa book and here to ask for help! I am a musician and long-time music writer. I had the great honor of interviewing Frank at his home in 1988 - for SongTalk magazine. It was one of the first interviews I ever did. 30 years ago now. It is in my book of collected interviews, Songwriters On Songwriting. He was in the midst of working on Synclavier then - and after the interview he showed me the Synclavier and how it worked. It was wondrous - especially his excitement with it at being able to instantly hear anything he conceived of.

The book I am doing is a book of his " interviews and encounters" to be called Zappa on Zappa. It will be published by Chicago Review Press, which has done a series of these books, including ones on Lennon, Dylan, Miles Davis and Leonard Cohen. When the chief editor there, who I have known for long time. asked me if I would consider doing a book in this series, I thought of Zappa. Because - as I know you all know - no matter when an interview was conducted, or if it was done by a good or not good at all interviewer, Frank was always brilliant. He was always Zappa from the very start.

So this has been a great adventure. It includes interviews he did for print media - but also TV and radio appearances and other public appearances. So I am planning on using his appearance on CNN's Crossfire, as well as his congressional testimony. And his Studs Terkel interview on radio.

I also have many great print interviews chosen.

But I am here today to ask you if you have suggestions. Do you have any interviews with Frank - or TV or radio appearances - that you think are great and deserve inclusion?

The hardest part of this project is that I must seek and receive permission to use anything. So if you know of any writers or interviewers of Frank directly who did ones you think are great, it would be tremendously helpful if you could connect us, so that I can seek permission.

Also happy to share that I have a 19-year old son. And he loves Frank. He knows his music so well that he sings along with Frank's songs on his playlist in his car. Makes me happy.

You can respond to me here or email me . My email is zollo@bluerailroad.com

With Sleep Dirt going, I thank you very much.

Sincerely,

PAUL ZOLLO

McMick
Post 2019-01-10 07:35   [Quote] 
There is one interview, sorry I can't be specific about where I saw it but probably YouTube, from the late '60s or early '70s, where he is being interviewed outdoors in the daytime in a city setting (maybe New York?). The most interesting bit of this particular peccary interview is, Frank is regaling the interviewer with groupie tales, when the interviewer confronts Frank about his ethics regarding groupies and fidelity to his wife, and basically his double-standard on sleeping around, and Frank is at a loss for words (perhaps the only time I've ever seen him so). I think it's an important point that deserves further scrutiny.

As an aside, has anyone ever done a serious interview with his first wife? I've seen some messages she posted somewhere about some things, but I've always wondered why she was never a focal point for anyone writing about Frank (though I admit I haven't read every Zappa book out there by any means). If nobody has bothered to interview her yet, someone probably oughta do it pretty soon, since she's getting up there in age and all.

[Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-01-10 09:37   [Quote] 
You should definitely consider They're doing the Interview of the century, which is a book in itself...not sure about copyright or ownership though. Maybe RobSam can help as he was there..

Zappacheers!

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-10 16:16   [Quote] 
McMick wrote:
There is one interview, sorry I can't be specific about where I saw it but probably YouTube, from the late '60s or early '70s, where he is being interviewed outdoors in the daytime in a city setting (maybe New York?). The most interesting bit of this particular peccary interview is, Frank is regaling the interviewer with groupie tales, when the interviewer confronts Frank about his ethics regarding groupies and fidelity to his wife, and basically his double-standard on sleeping around, and Frank is at a loss for words (perhaps the only time I've ever seen him so). I think it's an important point that deserves further scrutiny.

I believe you're talking about this.

I remember Frank saying something about getting the clap, taking some medicine for it, and then it's no big deal. Gail either didn't care or knew there was no point in giving him hell about this.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
McMick
Post 2019-01-16 07:33   [Quote] 
The point to the whole thing, as I remember it, was that Frank was confronted with the notion of Gail going out and getting a little nookie while he's out touring, and that this would definitely not please him. I'd have to watch the video again to be sure, but that's how I remember it.

[Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: