Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
George Duke never played a bad solo.
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Author Message
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
Joined: 2005-06-15
Posts: 835
Location: Washington DC
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-06 12:53   [Quote] 
Duh
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scoobie
Power Poster
Joined: 2007-06-10
Posts: 1611
Location: inside the dome
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-06 23:09   [Quote] 
Word.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
Joined: 2010-08-28
Posts: 2177
uk.gif
Post 2019-01-07 23:44   [Quote] 
Yup.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
HughGotIt
Contributor
Joined: 2007-11-19
Posts: 3146
Location: New Amsterdam
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-01-08 00:02   [Quote] 
Well, there was that one time when I saw The Clarke/Duke Project at the Dr. Pepper Pier Show in NYC in '81-'82(?) when George was really ba -d . . . , just kidding! He was awesome! Very Happy

_________________
Live Music in New York City
http://www.youtube.com/user/Hughgotit76?feature=mhee
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
Joined: 2010-08-28
Posts: 2177
uk.gif
Post 2019-01-12 00:03   [Quote] 
It was really cool when George revisited some Zappa tunes with his own band on his few last tours I forget which - 2009? Inca, Remus, Debris.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
Poster
Joined: 2006-01-14
Posts: 367
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-12 01:42   [Quote] 
He was a phenomenal musician. Obviously a great fit with Zappa. And I loved his "Feel" Album. And I loved "I Heard The Blues...".

Fast forward to the 90s, I buy a new George Duke album. I don't even remember the name. Figured I hadn't heard his recent stuff in a while. It's gotta be good, right?

Dismayed was I when I pressed play and heard song after song of smooth jazz drivel. It's a really a lot of cognitive dissonance -- because I know he's a bad ass. But I can't account for what I am hearing? Sold it to a used CD place the next day.

But yeah, even in his smooth jazz phase, no bad solos.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scoobie
Power Poster
Joined: 2007-06-10
Posts: 1611
Location: inside the dome
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-12 02:15   [Quote] 
HughGotIt wrote:
Well, there was that one time when I saw The Clarke/Duke Project at the Dr. Pepper Pier Show in NYC in '81-'82(?) when George was really ba -d . . . , just kidding! He was awesome! Very Happy


Tell us how you really, feel, Hugh! Inquiring minds want to know!
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
feralcats
Joined: 2005-07-17
Posts: 89
Post 2019-01-12 10:36   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
He was a phenomenal musician. Obviously a great fit with Zappa. And I loved his "Feel" Album. And I loved "I Heard The Blues...".


and (I'm sure you know it, but) don't forget his amazing "The Aura Will Prevail", with his own Echidna's Arf and Uncle Remus. Brilliant album that's come back into vogue hard recently.

_________________
"we don't get any becuz we're otherwise"--- Gail, "Very Distraughtening", Lumpy Gravy
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
Poster
Joined: 2006-01-14
Posts: 367
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-12 15:57   [Quote] 
feralcats wrote:
oofers wrote:
He was a phenomenal musician. Obviously a great fit with Zappa. And I loved his "Feel" Album. And I loved "I Heard The Blues...".


and (I'm sure you know it, but) don't forget his amazing "The Aura Will Prevail", with his own Echidna's Arf and Uncle Remus. Brilliant album that's come back into vogue hard recently.


I did not know about this, so thanks for the suggestion!
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
Joined: 2005-10-12
Posts: 6438
Location: Sampa Hell
brazil.gif
Post 2019-01-12 16:53   [Quote] 
I'm sure he must practice hundreds of bad solos privately, when no one is watching. Now, if only someone would sneak into one of those pratice sessions with a recorder...

_________________
nitramz.com
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
oofers
Poster
Joined: 2006-01-14
Posts: 367
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-12 22:57   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
I'm sure he must practice hundreds of bad solos privately, when no one is watching. Now, if only someone would sneak into one of those pratice sessions with a recorder...


Well his solos now are really bad. Because he died in 2013.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
PaulusS
Power Poster
Joined: 2005-02-12
Posts: 1010
Location: Ooi- en Ramsgat
netherlands.gif
Post 2019-01-12 23:56   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
Well his solos now are really bad. Because he died in 2013.

That is a BAD joke! And you're still alive.

_________________
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
staaan
Joined: 2013-03-09
Posts: 191
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-13 00:08   [Quote] 
Who is this George Duke you speak of? was he any good? any songs I might of heard him on? Very Happy

Obviously I jest.

While were on the topic of GD, anyone care to share a great solo?

I always enjoy his piano work, pre FZ solo, on RDNZL on Studio Tan.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
Poster
Joined: 2005-10-28
Posts: 298
Location: Adelaide, Australia
australia.gif
Post 2019-01-13 04:38   [Quote] 
The title of the album referred to variously above is "I Love The Blues, She Heard My Cry". I haven't heard that for ages, I appear to have parted ways with the vinyl a long time ago, so perhaps I should dig out a digital version somewhere.

_________________
It's not what you think, it's what you do.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
HughGotIt
Contributor
Joined: 2007-11-19
Posts: 3146
Location: New Amsterdam
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-01-13 06:33   [Quote] 
scoobie wrote:
HughGotIt wrote:
Well, there was that one time when I saw The Clarke/Duke Project at the Dr. Pepper Pier Show in NYC in '81-'82(?) when George was really ba -d . . . , just kidding! He was awesome! Very Happy


Tell us how you really, feel, Hugh! Inquiring minds want to know!
I feel like I was lucky to be there. Very Happy
George did a few songs on a keytar, too. It was a funky good time.

_________________
Live Music in New York City
http://www.youtube.com/user/Hughgotit76?feature=mhee
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic
 
Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group, TorrentPier © Meithar