Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
New External HDD  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker
StatusBaby
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2019-01-01 15:37   [Quote] 
Hello Zappateers - it's amazing how much you can forget! I used to know this stuff - but it must be over a decade since I've done any of this - so to re-learn - and ensure best practice I thought I'd ask for advice like the newbie I now am Wink

I have a new external HDD, and a pile of DVD's sitting on a shelf getting dusty.

The plan was to copy over the DVDs burned years ago and stick them on the new drive. Going through the first few DVDs, they are copies of rips from Zappateer #1 Dieter/Walk - and some of them pre-date the Zappateers site itself. I realise that there are probably better/newer/speed-corrected versions now on the tracker - but these have a certain sentimental value - and in the interests of absolute completism, I'd like to keep them.

Problem is Dieter sent them to me on long since lost CDs in WAV format - and although my HDD is large - it seems a waste of space too keep them as WAVs, so I set about converting them to FLACs and then realised I didn't have a converter on my laptop (soon remedied) and that I'd forgotten completely how to do this shit!

So - if possible - an idiots guide - I'm using FLAC Frontend for Windows and the lastest version of FLAC. Some of the WAVs are huge great big chunks just as Dieter ripped them, others are split by file. Either way - I'd like to know what level of encoding I should use , and if I need to do anything to stop odd-bits or something occurring between the songs (I vaguely remember something about this - but it was all so long ago!).

ZC

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2019-01-03 00:10   [Quote] 
Bump there's only so far 10TB will stretch to Wink

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2019-01-03 07:03   [Quote] 
Well. I'm not the person to give out advice on converting things to Flac but in the interest of keeping this topic alive I DO know that the ''little bits between the songs'' are SBEs, Sector Boundary Errors, and they give you tiny bits of silence that you don't want... I think it may be as simple as ticking a box to avoid them.... bit I think it's only a concern if you're burning a CD...

Here's what walk himself said about them:
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2885

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2019-01-03 10:14   [Quote] 
Traders Little Helper is extremely convenient and simple to use for all kind of sound file conversions, it also takes care of SBE's (which is indeed really only a problem when burning CD's)
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2019-01-03 17:56   [Quote] 
Many thanks Bengt - TLH is just what is needed as I've also uncovered a load of MKW & SHN files as well.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker All times are GMT

Jump to: