Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Zappa on Cassette?
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Author Message
McMick
Joined: 2015-06-26
Posts: 127
Post 2019-01-03 06:22   [Quote] 
Hey, Speakers Corner (as opposed to Corner Speakers) is sort of the catchall for topics, right? I'm littering the place up, sorry if that's annoying anyone.

I just bought a cassette deck. It's the same model I had as a teen. It was probably a dumb purchase, since I have no use for it, but I got nostalgic. I got the original one on sale at Highland Appliance when they were a thing. They did some funny commercials, that's for sure. You can still find some on YouTube.

Anyhow, was just wondering if there is anything special on any Zappa cassette release that would make it worth buying, some version or mix of a song that didn't wind up on CD or vinyl? I know there's a database and all, but I'm trying to avoid reading every single entry. I'm hoping someone here has the deep knowledge necessary to just answer my question (fingers crossed!).

_________________
In the final analysis, a booger to one is not a booger to all.
- George Duke
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
belew-vibe
Busy Poster
Joined: 2011-08-27
Posts: 999
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-03 06:56   [Quote] 
This one had some unique tracks... Also, I have a feeling that TPS will surely move this thread to the Collectors forum...

https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Zappa-The-Guitar-World-According-To-Frank-Zappa/master/974566

_________________
"Audience recordings are good. Bootlegs are bad." - Zappa Penguin
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
knoot
Contributor
Joined: 2005-02-23
Posts: 722
Location: Trondheim, Norway
norway.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-01-03 13:01   [Quote] 
Uncensored UK ZINY cassette:

https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Zappa-Zappa-In-New-York/release/5637807

The 1991 Ryko cassette of ZINY is also worth having. It has the remix, but the structure of the original uncensored album, omitting the bonus tracks from the CD:

https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Zappa-Zappa-In-New-York/release/1187255

The Supplement Tape. Very interesting interview by Co de Cloet. Authorised by FZ:

https://www.discogs.com/Zappa-The-Supplement-Tape/release/2914457

K
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
Joined: 2006-01-24
Posts: 4735
Location: Highlands/Scotland
uk.gif
Post 2019-01-03 13:08   [Quote] 
The European/US versions of The Mothers of Prevention;
Transparency.
YCDTOSA Sampler & YCDTOSA#4
Are all worth having for collecting or alternate version purposes too...

_________________
"Well, look, it depends on what the intent is. If the intent is to rip me off, then I hate it. If the intent is to find out what's going on, then I think it's fabulous. ."
- FZ (from They're Doing The Interview Of The Century)
GoFund Tom Brown, you'll love it, it's a way of life...
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
chrisfromparis
Joined: 2005-08-29
Posts: 239
Location: Not in Paris anymore
france.gif
Post 2019-01-04 06:26   [Quote] 
I don't have them, but the cassettes of Broadway The Hard Way and Guitar might be worth getting, because they use the same tracklist as the LPs (which are different from the CDs and have unique content)
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
Joined: 2009-09-03
Posts: 1044
burma.gif
Post 2019-01-04 07:43   [Quote] 
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
Joined: 2009-09-03
Posts: 1044
burma.gif
Post 2019-01-04 07:45   [Quote] 
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
Joined: 2009-09-03
Posts: 1044
burma.gif
Post 2019-01-04 07:46   [Quote] 
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
Joined: 2009-09-03
Posts: 1044
burma.gif
Post 2019-01-04 07:46   [Quote] 
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Jim Lahey
Joined: 2006-08-14
Posts: 107
Location: De Pere, WI
Post 2019-01-05 00:30   [Quote] 
This made me think of something I read on the Zappa Patio about the Uncle Meat cassette:
Quote:
From Gary Horowitz:

I have the Reprise cassette of Uncle Meat. I found it sealed in some bargain bin about 20-something years ago. I thought "here's a novelty item - a copy of Uncle Meat for the car ..."

I don't know what they did in mastering it, or if it's just a fluke, but I have to tell you that it sounds fantastic! This album was made for tape. [Gary! You're getting carried away! - Ed :] There is a definition and clarity that simply does not exist on vinyl and CD.

The sound is full and airy. The music seems more lively and transparent. This is never the case with any commercially manufactured cassette. I know that this does not make any logical sense and as a recording engineer I loathe commercially available cassettes as a rule. But this tape really does sound fantastic and I think it is because the source was taken from the original master and not a remastered-for-vinyl copy.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
McMick
Joined: 2015-06-26
Posts: 127
Post 2019-01-05 07:11   [Quote] 
Wow, from looking at these gems on discogs and pricing out new 90 to 120 minute type II cassette tapes, I'd say it's getting pretty damned expensive to be a cassette tape guy right about now!

Thanks for the replies. It will give me something to mull over. I have a few Zappa cassettes I bought in the late '80s & early '90s, but they are all from Barking Pumpkin (their XDR series - fancy CrO2 with Dolby NR and such). I don't recall hearing anything special on them.

I do have a Dweezil My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama cassette on the Chrysalis label, though! Don't be jealous, guys.

_________________
In the final analysis, a booger to one is not a booger to all.
- George Duke
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
Joined: 2006-01-24
Posts: 4735
Location: Highlands/Scotland
uk.gif
Post 2019-01-05 10:09   [Quote] 
Jim Lahey wrote:
This made me think of something I read on the Zappa Patio about the Uncle Meat cassette:
Quote:
From Gary Horowitz:

I have the Reprise cassette of Uncle Meat. I found it sealed in some bargain bin about 20-something years ago. I thought "here's a novelty item - a copy of Uncle Meat for the car ..."

I don't know what they did in mastering it, or if it's just a fluke, but I have to tell you that it sounds fantastic! This album was made for tape. [Gary! You're getting carried away! - Ed :] There is a definition and clarity that simply does not exist on vinyl and CD.

The sound is full and airy. The music seems more lively and transparent. This is never the case with any commercially manufactured cassette. I know that this does not make any logical sense and as a recording engineer I loathe commercially available cassettes as a rule. But this tape really does sound fantastic and I think it is because the source was taken from the original master and not a remastered-for-vinyl copy.


Interesting, I have a copy but I'll have to check if it's the Reprise...

[Edit] I have the BPR version TZAPPA3...

_________________
"Well, look, it depends on what the intent is. If the intent is to rip me off, then I hate it. If the intent is to find out what's going on, then I think it's fabulous. ."
- FZ (from They're Doing The Interview Of The Century)
GoFund Tom Brown, you'll love it, it's a way of life...
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
Joined: 2005-06-15
Posts: 819
Location: Washington DC
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-07 18:56   [Quote] 
hoops wrote:
The European/US versions of The Mothers of Prevention;
Transparency.
YCDTOSA Sampler & YCDTOSA#4
Are all worth having for collecting or alternate version purposes too...


What is unique on the Stage Volume #4 on cassette? I never noticed anything different about the cassette compared to the cd.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
Joined: 2006-01-24
Posts: 4735
Location: Highlands/Scotland
uk.gif
Post 2019-01-07 20:17   [Quote] 
vivalapsych wrote:
hoops wrote:
The European/US versions of The Mothers of Prevention;
Transparency.
YCDTOSA Sampler & YCDTOSA#4
Are all worth having for collecting or alternate version purposes too...


What is unique on the Stage Volume #4 on cassette? I never noticed anything different about the cassette compared to the cd.


Well, like I said collecting wise...aside from the sampler it's the only one of the Stage series to receive a cassette release...
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Galeans
Contributor
Joined: 2005-11-12
Posts: 3654
Contributor
Post 2019-01-07 20:46   [Quote] 
hoops wrote:
Well, like I said collecting wise...aside from the sampler it's the only one of the Stage series to receive a cassette release...


Vol.2 got a release as well

cheers

_________________
"Grouch!"
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic
 
Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group, TorrentPier © Meithar