Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
The Radio is Broken -- Is There a Live Recording?  
McMick
Post 2018-09-05 13:22   [Quote] 
I've heard that one live recording of The Dangerous Kitchen on YCDTOSA, but for The Radio is Broken I've only heard the studio release, and the rehearsals someone posted on Youtube. I was wondering if there are any available concert recordings in which he performed this? Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question. Thanks for any help.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-09-05 13:40   [Quote] 
1980 04 03 Stanford (quote only)
1980 06 14 Nantes (quote only)

That's all I'm afraid.

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
McMick
Post 2018-09-05 13:48   [Quote] 
Thanks for the reply. Gee, that's too bad, because I really like that song (the original vinyl version, anyhow).

Perhaps someone would know: has ANYONE performed this live? Like Dweezil, or the Grandmothers or Banned from Utopia or someone I've never heard of? And if so, is there a recording available? I found one version on youtube by some random person but it was utterly unlike Zappa's version and also pretty awful in its own right.

And since I'm here, what do all of YOU guys think of the song? I just loooove it, especially the fast little guitar lick that he throws in there every so often.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-05 13:56   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
1980 04 03 Stanford (quote only)
1980 06 14 Nantes (quote only)

I think those refer to the guitar theme Steve Vai played on the studio version. FZ played a looser version of it in some live solos, I think more than just those two shows.

The lyrics of "The Radio is Broken" were in the fall 1980 tour book under the song's original title "Willing Suspension of Disbelief." I don't know if they ever played it live, but we are missing some recordings from the early weeks of that tour.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-09-05 14:02   [Quote] 
I appreciate the extra info.

I'm afraid that type of singing wears thin quickly with me....

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BasketCase
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-09-05 17:02   [Quote] 
I have an interview from an old vinyl picture disc, I think it was, where Frank spoke about The Radio Is Broken and the interviewer said it was his young son's favourite song!! Frank was amused by that. Frank asked "Who knows what The Botchino is?" and spoke about the other things in that song.

Isn't there a brief film clip somewhere showing Frank & Roy Estrada singing The Radio Is Broken into a microphone?

My memory isn't what it was!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-05 18:00   [Quote] 
The "Two on the Town" footage from 1981 has Roy Estrada with an early version of the 1981 band. I don't remember if "The Radio is Broken" is included.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
arf
Poster
france.gif
Post 2018-09-05 18:16   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM] 
NonFoods
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-09 04:58   [Quote] 
McMick wrote:

And since I'm here, what do all of YOU guys think of the song? I just loooove it, especially the fast little guitar lick that he throws in there every so often.

I dig it.. especially the part right after that when the piano comes in.

martyg
Post 2018-11-28 05:41   [Quote] 
I like where Frank blows his cue.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-11-28 06:49   [Quote] 
The Queen Of Outer Space trailer doesn't have botchino or very fine radio reception, but it does have space girls in tiny dresses and pointed brassieres.

Here's all of Rocketship X-M. Watch for lovely Lisa who invented the secret fuel, her clipboard, a meteor storm, Morris Ankrum, a space wrench, and a crew member who plays the harmonica.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
NonFoods
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-12-05 10:22   [Quote] 
They need to reproduce!

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: