Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
you cant do that on stage anymore Vol 2
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-26 19:13   [Quote] 
Tero wrote:
Listening to Pygmy Twylyte. This has one of my favorite Zappa solos. It’s not just over a vamp. Will need to compare to the Roxy version. I only have two Roxy discs, not the complete. No solo on original Roxy track, segues to Dummy Up.

The Roxy box set has one or two takes of the song with FZ solos, but they are over the fast funk groove from that tour rather than the slow one on Helsinki.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2018-12-03 18:10   [Quote] 
On Pygmy Twlyte, what happens at the end of the track? It seems to be a complete take, then George does a bit of Mozart on keyboard and there is sort of a gap, it comes back at 7:52 for a very short end bit and then segues onto the next track with "honey, honey, tush tush.." vocals etc. Then the main part of Room Service.

Are they perhaps from the two days, with the join from one day to the other at the keyboard break?

I'm not looking for any recordings, just the explanation.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-12-04 01:10   [Quote] 
Tero wrote:

I'm not looking for any recordings, just the explanation.

Unless someone who was at the shows or has heard the unedited recordings joins the thread, we can only guess.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2018-12-04 04:48   [Quote] 
It's such a minor point. If the set list was the same for the two confirmed dates, they obviously used the best take of each song. Especially Disc 1 was most likely the same set. Disc 2 probably not.

The only source that might have the set lists is the Poroila book. It is to be ordered from him directly.
http://www.musiikkikirjastot.fi/musiikkipalvelut/suomen-musiikkikirjastoyhdistys/julkaisusarja/
description in English.
http://www.afka.net/Books/poroila.htm

I can read the Finnish but would not have other use of the book.

Juhani Heinonen was at the concerts and his words are still in the Järvi-Heinonen account.
https://www.palasokeri.com/artikkeli/1126

I have met Juhani and he does not have any more details than what is there. Juhani lives somewhere in Turku, where I met him. Poroila I never met.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2018-12-04 05:49   [Quote] 
One could, technically run a comparison of Helsinki and the tapes of
1974 09 20 - KB Hallen, København, Denmark
1974 09 25 - Konserthuset, Göteborg, Sweden

And get some idea of the typical course of the Pygmy Twylyte/Room service etc sequence on that tour.
I'm not a tapes collector. I have only one "tape" of all of 74, Southbend/Notre Dame. It has no Room Service. The show barely resembles the Europe set.

Without the Danish and Swedish tapes on hand, I’ll speculate that Pygmy Twylyte is from Day 1 and Room Service is a following day. They had more time to experience mace in the face and fish with the eyeballs, so Room Service was going to have more local flavor. I think we got all of Pygmy Twylyte whereas the parts that follow were edited as well as they could.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 3 of 3 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: