Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Zappa banter about time signatures
Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next  
sandrat
Post 2018-11-27 03:49   [Quote] 
I remember hearing a bootleg, a "beat the boot", a track off of YCDTOSA, etc. where Frank talks about how one of the guys is playing in 5/13 time while another musician is playing in 7/8 time and another is attacking a bird, or something weird like that. Does this ring a bell to anyone?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bazbo
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2018-11-27 08:30   [Quote] 
Just check the official album Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

Guitar Solo Baz

'ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL'
- for Walk(spoon) - gone, but never forgotten

www.bazbo.net
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-11-27 08:46   [Quote] 
The actual quote on the track ''Toads of the Short Forest'' (on WRMF) is:
''At this very moment on stage we have drummer A playing in 7/8, drummer B playing in 3/4, the bass playing in 3/4, the organ playing in 5/8, the tambourine playing in 3/4, and the alto sax blowing its/his nose.''
(although I believe on IINK they have the last word as ''NOTES'' but this is incorrect, it's ''NOSE'')

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
old_zircon
Post 2018-11-27 12:54   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
(although I believe on IINK they have the last word as ''NOTES'' but this is incorrect, it's ''NOSE'')

Originally it was "notes," then it was changed to "nose," then it was suggested that it was actually and definitely "notes." My foreign ears can't tell the difference, although I think I can hear the "t." Is there a possible consensus?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-11-27 14:22   [Quote] 
Actually, it's "feet just like I showed ya".
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-11-27 14:26   [Quote] 
It's true that the vocal is indistinct.... Having just listened to it again I have to agree that there could well be a ''T'' sound, as well as it seeming like the ''S'' sound comes at the end of the word..... but, I think it makes more sense for it to be ''nose''... ''Blowing ones nose'' is a fairly common saying which fits in perfectly with the type of humour FZ had and this 'situation' perfectly... Also, whether the preceding word is ''its'' OR ''his', the word ''notes'' after doesn't really make complete sense... (''its'' fits better than ''his'' but I'd say ''blowing notes'' or ''blowing some notes'' as opposed to ''blowing its notes'')
I'd be happy to be wrong and I withdraw my earlier ''incorrect'' assumption. Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-11-27 15:15   [Quote] 
I always thought it was "blowing his nose" (typical FZ irreverence about free jazz playing).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-11-27 16:40   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
Actually, it's "feet just like I showed ya".

OK since you bring it up I’ve never been sure about my transcription here specifically wherthere “flipped” the judge was right as the context suggests something else...
alternate verse can be heard on 3/12/88 Burlington

He put a detective on her trail
Post Office said they could trace her mail
She got picked up
And she went to jail
She flipped the judge
just to pay her bail
 [Profile]  [PM] 
sandrat
Post 2018-11-27 19:49   [Quote] 
bazbo wrote:
Just check the official album Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

Guitar Solo Baz

Wow, it was right in front of my nose the whole time. Thanks so much.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-11-27 21:25   [Quote] 
rubbershirt wrote:
OK since you bring it up I’ve never been sure about my transcription here specifically wherthere “flipped” the judge was right as the context suggests something else...

Young Jessie (who wrote the song) definitely sings "clipped" in both occurrences of this verse. It's also "clipped" in The Calvanes' version. Ronnie Hawkins doesn't sing the verse in question.

I think FZ sings "clipped" too.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-11-27 22:23   [Quote] 
Thanks for clearing that up after thirty(!) years of not knowing. I’m I naive not to know what “clipping “ a judge means? I can guess but has anyone heard this word used in such a context? Thanks again
 [Profile]  [PM] 
GeekK
netherlands.gif
Post 2018-11-28 02:02   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
I always thought it was "blowing his nose" (typical FZ irreverence about free jazz playing).

Always interpreted it that way too.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
old_zircon
Post 2018-11-28 02:21   [Quote] 
GeekK wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

Always interpreted it that way too.

So, let it be nose.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
martyg
Post 2018-11-28 05:20   [Quote] 
I hear "blowing its nose."

On other "incorrect words" I have two.

I'm convinced that the offmike scream in Toads is "I'm stuck!" I think it also occurs in the version of Right There where the band is also playing bits from Run Home Slow on Necessity Is/We Are The Mothers etc.

I'm also convinced that the first stanza in Debra Kadabra is "Debra Kadabra, they say she's a witch. Sure dat's solid? Ain't that a bitch." "Solid" of course being a contemporary (i.e. 1962, when The Brainiac was released) way of saying something's true and correct however unbelievable -- Lenny Bruce used the term A LOT, and it's in the "How The Law Works" routine at the beginning of The Berkeley Concert. Fits more in my mind with the overall arching theme of the song, and I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would say "Shit-ass Charlotte."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-11-28 09:09   [Quote] 
martyg wrote:
... and I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would say "Shit-ass Charlotte."

Well you could say that about quite a lot of Zappa lyrics.... You can't apply that sort of logic to them..
Also, I'm pretty sure at least some versions of Bongo Fury came with a lyric sheet and that definitely said ''Shit-ass Charlotte''

[Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 3 Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: