Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Ed Palermo Big Band - 2018 10 27 Falcon NY AUD (HGI)
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Shoebox
rupert pupkin
Poster
france.gif
Post 2018-11-06 05:02   [Quote] 
HughGotIt wrote:
PaulusS wrote:
Isn't Cat Food a mashup with Come Together by the Beatles?
Not a mashup, but I guess Greg Lake could've been influenced by Come Together which was released just 3 months before KC hit the recording studio to work on Cat Food. Very similar bass line indeed.

But you will hear the Beatles AND King Crimson mashed into Pink Floyd's Us and Them. Very Happy

yeah and the mystery is still "Ladies On The Road" (which is one one of my favorite King Crimson album) - the signature, bass lines, and the saxophone break sounds really close to Pink Floyd "Money" (which also borrowed the chord progression of Procol Harum's "Whaling Stories" for their mid-stage live performance of The Great Gig In The Sky (Hollywood Bowl show in 1972 for instance) before they reworked it with a much more jazzy feeling - on stage the middle section was clearly borrowed to Procol Harum...)
And Abbey Road has a huge influence on Dark Side Of The Moon....

Speaking of "Dogs" Hugh, I really hope that a SBD recording of this stunning Ed Palermo show will surface. This is one of my favorite PF song and I've always wondered what it would have been if Roy Buchanan would have joined the Floyd on stage during their monster 77 In The Flesh tour instead of Snowy White. Mind you, on the most floydish Roy Buchanan album (You're Not Alone), Roy used to play a Goldtop Gibson instead of his usual telecaster; hence the Gilmourish sound of his guitar solo... some nasty bends and chiken' pickin'... One of the "songs" on this "You're Not Alone" album starts like an haunting drone-synthesizer typical soundtrack from John Carpenter (Prince Of Darkness which wasn't released at that time) and some parts of the guitar solo makes me think that with David Gilmour and his peak and on fire in 1977 + Roy Buchanan this would have been HELL!!!!!! Mr. Green Guitar Solo Baz headbanger
Gilmour always admitted that Roy Buchanan was one of his favorite guitarist... Of course Roy would have declined (like he did for John Lennon before "Mind Games" or the Rolling Stones) because it was Roy Buchanan...

thank you so much for this recording; and thank you so much Ed for the music! we have here la crême de la crême of the prog-rock best songs.
I've always been such a fan of the mellotron of "Night In White Satin"... the vocal harmonies are haunting...

But much Procol Harum Ed! a Lennonish haunting piano song such as "A Salty Dog" should be on your set-list - with a Michael Brecker-like sax solo... thank you.....
 [Profile]  [PM] 
HughGotIt
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-11-06 06:49   [Quote] 
Rupert, Ed has performed PH's Salty Dog. I think last year.

I've been asking TomNY for the soundboard from the Sept. 17th show at Iridium.
That was the show titled "Close to the Ed", which has a prog heavy setlist.
I'll send him another message right now!

Interesting to hear about all the influencing going between these talents.
Steal from the best!

Hats off to Roy. Oh, hell yeah!

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
rupert pupkin
Poster
france.gif
Post 2018-11-07 06:04   [Quote] 
HughGotIt wrote:
Rupert, Ed has performed PH's Salty Dog. I think last year.

I've been asking TomNY for the soundboard from the Sept. 17th show at Iridium.
That was the show titled "Close to the Ed", which has a prog heavy setlist.
I'll send him another message right now!

Interesting to hear about all the influencing going between these talents.
Steal from the best!

Hats off to Roy. Oh, hell yeah!

Oh I will check this underrated song "A Salty Dog" by Procol Harum (I'm very curious ti hear Ed's arrangement. I'm not surprised that he didn't forget this song). Gary Brooker wrote a kind of typical-Lennon Dakota era piano melody; very haunting... like the lyrics about this ship... such a superb melody!

back to "Dogs", I was kind of disappointed. Mind you, I hear a lot of "Dogs" tribute. IMHO Roger Waters murdered this song recently performed by his own band (that said, the first arrangement around 2002 with John Carin on acoustic guitar and Chester Kamen on electric guitar was not bad; even really good)... The best version ever where the 1977 In The Flesh tour...

I was expecting something more DARING : there's only a saxophone solo... Why not trying to make it totally different...?

a very long rendition of "Starless" should be great... just pure instrumental (which King Crimson never did (as far as I can tell)- I have to admit that it's difficult to surpass or equal a band which recently performed and used to perform this song as good as ever... despite the loss of John Wetton Crying or Very sad ) What I would like to hear is a pure jazzy arrangement of the song : means : no singer, a section of horns, saxophone solo (several saxophone solos : tenor saxophone, etc... (blame on me to listen the complete Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" sessions), and violin (guess who will play that part ?)

for instance: do you remember this vinyl (a SHAME that it has not been pressed on CD so far!!!!) by Buddy Miles : another cover of "Down By The River" (my other favorite being the one on Roy buchanan's "You're Not Alone" Gilmourish album) : the kind of song to play loud at night :
just have a listen here and tell me what you think about the soul-jazzy-arrangement (which is pure bliss) live in 1971 from what I remember :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTykGpzXvUA
I think that kind of particular arrangement is very efficient in some particular situations...

by the way, did you notice that I wrote yesterday a long post without mentioning a single word about a certain girl with silk black hair, tangerine trees, cellophane flowers with a violin in the sky like a painting from Chagall.. who was her name by the way ? imslow Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
 [Profile]  [PM] 
HughGotIt
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-11-08 08:28   [Quote] 
Do you mean a talented young lady who spells her name, K-A-T . . . NO! I won't be the cause of your next medical emergency episode! Smile
That violin phenom is not present on this recording but she is on the Sept 19th recording if I can get my hands on it.

Buddy Miles' "Down By The River" is a fantastic arrangement indeed. Thanks for turning me on to that.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Shoebox All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: