Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Ben Thomas question  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Rectorybasement
Post 2018-11-03 21:50   [Quote] 
Hello, I think I recently saw Ben Thomas rejoined with Dweezil. I'm thinking about seeing Dweezil on the 18th, but if Ben Thomas is still with him I'm not sure. I saw in 2009 with Zappa Plays Zappa and he was awful in my opinion, so I would like to get feedback if he has gotten any better,

Thank you,
Rectorybasement
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-11-04 00:28   [Quote] 
Iíve said it before, I thought Ben was great the two times I saw him with Dweez and the gang.

So is that so? Has he rejoined the band? As an addition? Or as a replacement for someone?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Rectorybasement
Post 2018-11-04 01:08   [Quote] 
vivalapsych wrote:
Iíve said it before, I thought Ben was great the two times I saw him with Dweez and the gang.

So is that so? Has he rejoined the band? As an addition? Or as a replacement for someone?

I don't know, I read it somewhere.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-11-04 02:34   [Quote] 
Rectorybasement wrote:
vivalapsych wrote:

I don't know, I read it somewhere.

Source, dummy.

TPS
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2018-11-04 12:50   [Quote] 
I spent a few days with Ben when on holiday in Edinburgh this summer. He is doing great, working on his own material, and did an excellent gig with Scottish band Pygmy Twylyte.

Dweezil now has Adam Minkoff as vocalist and multi instrumentalist, who is doing an amazing job along side Cian Coey.

So stop thinking about it and buy a ticket. You will not be disappointed.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-11-04 19:28   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:

Dweezil now has Adam Minkoff as vocalist and multi instrumentalist, who is doing an amazing job along side Cian Coey.

To be honest, as much as I enjoyed Ben being in the band, this version of ZPZ has been the best for me...this combo really nails the harmonies.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-11-04 21:42   [Quote] 
hoops wrote:
TPS wrote:

To be honest, as much as I enjoyed Ben being in the band, this version of ZPZ has been the best for me...this combo really nails the harmonies.

I feel the complete opposite. They need a STRONG male voice in the band. There isn't one. Having 2 chicks singing parts that were once sung by a strong male just weakens the performances. I also think that at this point the band is sounding very stiff and sterile. Almost over rehearsed.

McMick
Post 2018-11-07 04:42   [Quote] 
I haven't been 100 percent satisfied with ANY of the choices for vocals, but for me this current incarnation is the best as well. I loved Ben's musicianship, but I absolutely hated his voice, which sounds like a cartoon character or something. I don't think it fit with Frank's music AT ALL.

I think one of the problems is what Jaypfunk mentioned, which is all of the singing is stiff in Dweezil's band. I don't know if that's because he doesn't want them to get goofy, or doesn't ask them to, or what, but all the little quirky humor of Frank's vocalist choices is pretty much nonexistent in Dweezil's band. Maybe from his point of view, it's just hard to find great musicians who are also excellent vocalists. Sheila Gonzalez is amazing, though, I must say. She's 50 percent of the band! If Frank didn't let his preconceptions get in the way, he would have hired her, I bet.

[Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2018-11-07 11:30   [Quote] 
jaypfunk wrote:
hoops wrote:
TPS wrote:

I feel the complete opposite. They need a STRONG male voice in the band. There isn't one. Having 2 chicks singing parts that were once sung by a strong male just weakens the performances. I also think that at this point the band is sounding very stiff and sterile. Almost over rehearsed.

I have to say that unusually I agree with you on this one JPF... I also think that Dweezil himself although a great guitarist is a poor frontman... the overall sound sound is too digital for me and needs to be more organic or 'woody' or loose.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-11-09 23:59   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
hoops wrote:
TPS wrote:

I have to say that unusually I agree with you on this one JPF... I also think that Dweezil himself although a great guitarist is a poor frontman... the overall sound sound is too digital for me and needs to be more organic or 'woody' or loose.

Ben's voice really wasn't that strong. but two chicks weakens it in what way, J...? hmm

Totally agree with you on Dweezil as a frontman, wingedeelfingerling... Rolling Eyes

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-11-10 02:13   [Quote] 
hoops wrote:

Ben's voice really wasn't that strong. but two chicks weakens it in what way, J...? hmm

It's simple... women singing songs that originally had STRONG male vocals sounds weak. That's it. Zomby Woof and COTL are prime examples.

Jim Lahey
Post 2018-11-10 03:30   [Quote] 
I seem to recall the teenage girl in "Rock School" did a pretty good job with Zomby Woof.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-11-10 19:10   [Quote] 
jaypfunk wrote:
hoops wrote:

It's simple... women singing songs that originally had STRONG male vocals sounds weak. That's it. Zomby Woof and COTL are prime examples.

I get that you're using capitals to explain the word strong but aside from that I'd rather have someone actually hit the right notes rather than take an octave lower just to make the line work. Other than that I guess what you actually mean is that it's just simply preference...

Jim Lahey wrote:
I seem to recall the teenage girl in "Rock School" did a pretty good job with Zomby Woof.

She must have sung it STRONGly..

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: