Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Mothers vs. Doors; Zappa vs Morrison
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
McMick
Post 2018-11-03 06:05   [Quote] 
So, I wanted to find out if anyone else besides me were big fans of The Doors at any point in their life? I was hugely into them in my teens to the point where I can now play almost all of their songs (not that it's a huge amount or anything). Mind you, I haven't played one in a couple of decades, but it's not like they're hard to remember. Anyhow, so yeah I was big into them a few years before I learned about Frank. I started on the Doors at age 10. I learned about Zappa around 4 years later from my older brother's friends. By then I was listening to all the acid and folk rock I could get my hands on, as well as some of the early hard rock and heavy metal. But as I grew older I got tired of it all and at this point in my life Zappa is the only remaining influence from my teen years that I am still obsessed with (interestingly, more now than back then).

The reason I bring this all up is that Frank had a few things to say about Jim and it strikes me as more than coincidental that the two seem oddly related. I know they both worked in L.A. and that probably had a lot to do with them occasionally crossing paths. Zappa, by his comments, was totally unimpressed with The Door's musical output and Jim's trippy downer lyrics, but he might have liked Jim as a person. At any rate, we all know that Zappa has said things on more than one occasion about them, both in his lyrics and in interviews.

I'm beginning to feel like they are opposites. I mean, the part of my brain that liked the Doors was full of teen angst and alienation (my parents had gotten a divorce at that time). At the same time, the part of my brain that liked Frank was the more logical, rational, and humorous part. I almost feel like it's a left-brain right-brain thing.

Now I hear stories about Zappa alumni working with Robby Krieger and that's weird to me. As an aside, I got a chance to see Robby play in a bar once, back in the early '90s, and afterwards he was greeting fans from the top of the staircase leading to the private rooms. When my girlfriend and I got there, we smiled and said hello. He looked at me and said, "Are you on acid?" I laughed and said, "No!" He turned to my girlfriend and said, "Are you 18?" and she knew right away what he meant and said, "Sorry, too old for you." Suffice it to say, I was a little taken aback. But he did sign my "No Habla" cassette, which was nice.

At any rate, Zappa made fun of Jim's "Lizard King poetry" and when you think about it, he was completely right. The Doors were much about the drug-addled psychedelic Indian Spirit Desert Trip (set to blues and jazz-influenced music), and really didn't do much for music or literature. But Jim certainly gave the record companies a template for success, and a front-man with tight leather pants became a real necessity for up-and-coming rock bands who wanted to be signed to a label. I think that, combined with his drug overdose death, probably rubbed Frank the wrong way, and that it disappointed him greatly.

So does anyone else feel like these two are connected somehow? Not just in life, but in being music / artistic opposites?

[Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2018-11-03 08:47   [Quote] 
The only thing I can think of is; while a lot of other bands sound like other bands, The Doors sound like The Doors and no other band, The Mothers sound like the Mothers and no other band.

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
cosmikd
Contributor
france.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-11-03 16:20   [Quote] 
bleachboy wrote:
The only thing I can think of is; while a lot of other bands sound like other bands, The Doors sound like The Doors and no other band, The Mothers sound like the Mothers and no other band.

Flo & Eddie some times sound like the Doors Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoC6_T_gp48
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2018-11-03 19:12   [Quote] 
I love THE DOORS and The MOTHERS.... would have been great to see them on a the same bill
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-11-03 19:32   [Quote] 
McMick wrote:

Now I hear stories about Zappa alumni working with Robby Krieger and that's weird to me.

Arthur Barrow is a Doors fan and as I recall it was his idea to include a reference to "Love Street" in "The Radio Is Broken."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-11-03 19:59   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
I love THE DOORS and The MOTHERS.... would have been great to see them on a the same bill

Me too...it would have been something, one way or the other Laughing

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2018-11-03 20:00   [Quote] 
Well Zappa sometimes sounds very much like The Doors too, that particular song on YAWYI

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-11-03 20:02   [Quote] 
bleachboy wrote:
Well Zappa sometimes sounds very much like The Doors too, that particular song on YAWYI

I think it was a deliberate nod to AB's fandom...nice solo too

Last edited by hoops on 2018-11-03 21:27; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
wildfisherman
Vine Coordinator
uk.gif
Post 2018-11-03 20:59   [Quote] 
Pamela Des Barres was a real world link between the two.

If you haven't already, I'm sure you would enjoy reading I'm with the band
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-11-04 00:37   [Quote] 
I seem to recall recall Frank once referring to Morrison as a “spoilt college type”. I always figured Frank gave them shit because they came up on the LA scene at the same time and The Doors were probably kings of the underground with no shortage of adoring female fans. Also...didn’t Gail hookup with Jim before she met Frank? That I’m sure would have added to his disdain..
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-11-04 01:03   [Quote] 
bleachboy wrote:

There is one version of "Woulda" from Florida where FZ dedicates the song to Morrison in honor of Morrison exposing himself in Miami.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-11-04 06:22   [Quote] 
McMick wrote:
Now I hear stories about Zappa alumni working with Robby Krieger

Arthur Barrow worked with Krieger both before and after If Only She Woulda. He even played on one track on a Doors album (The Movie on American Prayer).

In the present decade, not only Arthur but also Tommy Mars, Sal Marquez, and Jock Ellis have played with Krieger.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2018-11-04 07:27   [Quote] 
Always pretty much disliked the Doors but now like them as no one knows who they are thanks to:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-doors-john-densmore-talks-about-the-bands-ugly-six-year-feud-76215/
and it's still carried on, I think, into 2018.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2018-11-04 14:47   [Quote] 
Ray was the musical genius of The Doors, he had the Zappa role to bring it all together. He would have been a great contributor to any Zappa arrangement.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2018-11-04 15:07   [Quote] 
I looked for a Ray and Zappa connection. Nothing much (it just led to the Krieger and Zappa band members link), but this Youtube mashup of Doors LA Woman and Zappa popped up. Rather forced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLjdaL6R2WE
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: