Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Know any celebrity Zappa freaks and /or posers?
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
kanakaris
belgium.gif
Post 2018-11-01 23:50   [Quote] 
Kamagurka
 [Profile]  [PM] 
kanakaris
belgium.gif
Post 2018-11-01 23:53   [Quote] 
Jack White
 [Profile]  [PM] 
feralcats
Post 2018-11-15 22:59   [Quote] 
Aight, did a search on this one just to verify: imo one of Zappa's biggest influences in contemporary mainstream/mainstream-adjacent music is the fact the Soulquarians were really influenced by him.

J Dilla obviously sampled him on "Mash" on his now classic Donuts

Questlove is unsurprisingly the biggest Zappa fan, having mentioned him in his book, reportedly putting both FZ and Beefheart on Blue Ivy's baby Ipod (rich people do weird things like that I guess), and calling him a "genius beyond genius" or something after George Duke passed (RIP)

through Questlove we also get at least the implication that D'Angelo thinks about Zappa (though I only barely heard the influence in the album Questlove was talking about here):
Quote:
On the upcoming album, fans will also hear a new side of [D'Angelo]: as a guitarist. “I saw a guitar in the studio and I was like, ‘What the hell’s this?'” Questlove remembers. “One night, when he didn’t know I was watching, he took a dinner break from recording. Suddenly, I heard [Funkadelic’s] ‘Maggot Brain’ playing. I realized he was in the studio room matching it note-for-note. For the last 12 years, he’s been strumming the guitar … He is so painfully shy about it. I think in his head, if he doesn’t surpass Eddie Hazel, Santana, James Blood Ulmer and Frank Zappa as an axeman, he doesn’t want to share it with the world.”
The Roots have also played Zappa snippets on Fallon and were supposed to have "Peaches And Regalia" on their album "How I Got Over", but for whatever reason didn't include it/record it

Erykah Badu also had a video years ago of her singing along with the original of "Cocksucker's Ball", but that one's admittedly a stretch. And yet Questlove wrote that back when they were recording the major Soulquarian albums inbetween sets they'd have recordings of the artists they were trying to emulate on repeat: "fz" among them. (Personally I think he'd have liked "Mama's Gun", but...)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staaan
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-11-16 00:34   [Quote] 
^ I could totally see The Roots crushing some FZ compositions, especially some of the horn based stuff
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2018-11-16 10:32   [Quote] 

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
geeque
canada.gif
Post 2018-11-24 16:23   [Quote] 
HughGotIt wrote:
bleachboy wrote:
... one of the writers (and member of the SNL staff I believe) is wearing the RENTAL T Shirt
You're right! That's Bill Hader, and he's very talented. And now I like him even more.

I vote, Real Zappa Fan. Not, Poser. Smile

I've seen an interview where Bill Hader said he would like FZ music played at his funeral.

philouze
france.gif
Post 2018-11-24 17:35   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM] 
NikZah
Busy Poster
russia.gif
Post 2018-12-02 11:19   [Quote] 
Tobias Forge - the leader of the Ghost, hand-picked favorite songs for iHeartRadio. List includes two Zappa's songs - Camarillo Brillo (from Hammersmith Odeon) and Peaches En Regalia.

https://www.iheart.com/playlist/curated-by-ghost-312064750-Xn2vwTTfMNXv6RefGcUryf/

Recreated list for Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1bY3BC0KYkYHr0k3N6LtSl?si=bcxp7mzhR_SUN1m7F2l1dQ
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cosmikd
Contributor
france.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-12-12 16:34   [Quote] 
Sharon Tate, Roman Polanski and Mia Farrow at the FZ Paris concert, 26 october 1968
http://www.purepeople.com/media/sharon-tate-roman-polanski-et-mia-farro_m3565336

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
HughGotIt
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-12-13 07:52   [Quote] 
Now that's a real super trio of tabloid headline grabbers up there. Mia's on the left, btw. Giving us the stiff tongue.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2018-12-13 14:05   [Quote] 
I'm not convinced that is Mia. I know the 3 were pals (see google images) but Mia had way better fashion sense!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-12-13 14:18   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
I'm not convinced that is Mia. I know the 3 were pals (see google images) but Mia had way better fashion sense!

No-one had good fashion sense in 1968....

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-12-13 14:45   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cosmikd
Contributor
france.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-12-13 14:55   [Quote] 
Probably during the premiere of Rosemary's Baby...
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
HughGotIt
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-12-15 06:32   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
No, that's her. She is serial tongue exhibitionist!
The black socks and sandals are a nice touch. My grandfather would approve. Smile
Speaking of footwear. The lovely Sharon is wearing one oversized boot. She probably hurt herself giving lecherous Roman a swift kick in the ass.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 23 of 24 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: