Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Rob's Zappa Photos Preview Tease
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-06 23:27   [Quote] 
I used to like taking long exposure shots back in the days when 35 millimeter cameras were all we had. I think this picture of La La Human Steps is quite good because of how it represents movement in an image... one of the principals of art and design

Last edited by robsam on 2018-06-09 11:40; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-06 23:29   [Quote] 
Frank was getting pretty sick by the time the Yellow Shark shows happened. His back was so screwed up he couldn't bow but instead did this fake bow for the audience

[Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-06 23:31   [Quote] 
Fake bow #2

[Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-06 23:33   [Quote] 
Fake bow #3

Last edited by robsam on 2018-06-09 11:38; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-06 23:34   [Quote] 
These last two pictures from the Yellow Shark were double exposure picture but I did not do it intentionally... just a happy accident. The image of Frank sitting in the chair was taken during the rehearsals earlier in the day and the image of La La Human Steps was taken at the end of the concert. Somehow I took two photos on a role of film, rewound it and used the same film during the concert. I think they are really cool because of the illusion that Frank was sitting on a big fluffy arm chair watching the show when he was actually conducting the Ensemble Modern during G-Spot Tornado!

Last edited by robsam on 2018-06-09 11:37; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-06 23:36   [Quote] 
Last one for now.... really cool picture I think. It was an awesome privilege to be at those Yellow Shark shows. Frank had finally obtained his dream to have an orchestra play his music the way he heard it in his head. Although he was sick, it was obvious that he was very pleased!

Last edited by robsam on 2018-06-09 11:37; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-07 00:56   [Quote] 
Totally awesome Rob! Thanks so much for sharing these. Those last two accidental double exposures really capture what was likely on a personal level FZ's pinnacle moment musically, even being as sick as he was. Just stunning.

Kind regards,
Overnitefreak
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-07 05:45   [Quote] 
Overnitefreak wrote:
Totally awesome Rob! Thanks so much for sharing these. Those last two accidental double exposures really capture what was likely on a personal level FZ's pinnacle moment musically, even being as sick as he was. Just stunning.

Kind regards,
Overnitefreak

Thanks Overnightfreak!
The Yellow Shark shows were indeed the pinnacle of Frank Zappa the composer. After all, he started his career in music because he wanted to write orchestral/symphonic type music and Edgar Varese was Frank's 'Elvis' in the same vain as how Matt Groening said "Frank Zappa was my Elvis." Frank must have been such an outcast 'weirdo' type in high school! I was an weirdo outcast when I was high school in the 1970s! I mention this because as you said it was the 'pinnacle' of his life really since he began composing so early in his... he told us in the Interview of The Century that he wrote Pound for a Brown when he was 18 years. I know that Civilization Phase III is supposed to have been his 'masterpiece' but I can't even listen to it! I think the Yellow Shark was really Frank's masterpiece in terms of the Ensemble Modern going all the way for Frank by putting in the time to learn the music and do whatever Frank asked of them. I remember on the AAAFNRAA documentary or somewhere else where Frank talks about the trombone players scraping the bells of their trombones on the floor to get a certain. And as I mentioned in one my posts how on the last night in Frankfurt the gong note at the end of G-Spot Tornado ringing out for a full minute before anyone in the audience made a sound. I think everyone in the audience knew how special that moment was. I'm sure there's a bunch of Zappateers who were there and I'm even more surer that each and everyone of them remember that moment. I don't listen to the Yellow Shark either because I love Frank's guitar solos way more than any of his orchestral music. The Buffalo show which was recorded on my 17th birthday and the day before I saw Frank for the very first time has some of the best guitar solos on it. I think that that mini Les Paul Frank used in that time period enabled Frank to create his best air sculptures. The Beginning of the solo of City of Tiny Lites is insane. In my opinion Frank was the greatest guitar player ever in terms of his ability to improvise and create instant compositions. Also as Steve Vai said in Musician Magazine's tribute to FZ in 1994 Frank was the master of feedback control. I also think Jeff Beck is the greatest guitarist ever in terms of his control of the guitar and his ability to make every note perfect. Plus Jeff gets better every time I see him and at 74 he's the best he's ever been. I heard Vinnie is touring with Jeff this summer and Rhonda Smith will still be playing the bass. Talk about a powerhouse rhythm section. There's nothing artificial about Rhonda!

In that same Musician Magazine tribute Mike Keneally said that Frank was the most in control out of control guitarist. Which is a great way to describe Frank's indescribable guitar style which is so unique just like Jeff Beck but their amazing abilities are almost opposite!

Anyway, I am glad you like the pictures and I hope every can see why the picture that is my avatar means so much to me. You can see the look of pride and accomplishment on Frank's face and I had the good fortune to capture that moment on film. So when I saw it on that assholes webpage with no photo credit I was pissed. After three messages to the asshole and no reply I was ready to commit a murder! I'm actually glad this happened when it did because I have all these photos (all in high quality and lower quality) that I want to upload here and share with my fellow Zappa freaks but I was and still am concerned about jerks re-posting them anywhere and but especially Pinterest which allows people to post all these great pictures (almost all are from professional photographers). So although my avatar picture being stolen and re-posted illegally according to copyright law, it gave me the perfect opportunity to bring up this issue with the Zappateers admins. As I said, I love Zappateers and appreciate all the hard work so many people on here have done and will continue to do to preserve our hero's legacy.
Finally I'm especially glad you liked the double exposure pictures which are the very definition of 'happy accident'! To this day I don't even know how it happened because my camera had an auto-rewind function that would pull the film fully into the film canister making it virtually impossible to use a roll of film that had been used already. I guess it was just meant to be because they are stunning pictures indeed! Here's a version I made of it with my all time favorite Zappa quote which is pretty much unknown to most people. The story of it's origin is too long as is this post and I have have way too many things to do so the story of the 'Failure' will have to wait for another time and another long ass post!

Last edited by robsam on 2018-06-09 11:36; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mr_Green_Genes
Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2018-06-07 10:18   [Quote] 
Great!

Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-08 01:26   [Quote] 
Quote:
Plus Jeff gets better every time I see him and at 74 he's the best he's ever been. I heard Vinnie is touring with Jeff this summer and Rhonda Smith will still be playing the bass. Talk about a powerhouse rhythm section. There's nothing artificial about Rhonda!

Will have to check that out for sure.

Quote:
Here's a version I made of it with my all time favorite Zappa quote which is pretty much unknown to most people. The story of it's origin is too long as is this post and I have have way too many things to do so the story of the 'Failure' will have to wait for another time and another long ass post!

Looking forward to it!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rupert pupkin
Poster
france.gif
Post 2018-06-08 02:28   [Quote] 
superb photos! thank you so much to share it with us! it's such a pleasure to see Frank through the years (love the 1984 pictures and the book "dedicace")- But my favorite are those exposure effects during the Yellow Shark- just magic. No Photoshop filters can do and catch such magical moment ! thanks for having seized these moments or having being seized by these moments... (inner quote from "Boyhood" last scene by Richard Linklater- nice movie- some nice stuff about photography in it)

[Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-08 07:16   [Quote] 
Thanks Rupert. Great quote that ringing gong at the end of G-Spot Tornado on the last night in Frankfurt was a moment that seized the entire audience and the memory of that moment will stay with me until I leave on my final tour! I've got many more of my own photos the yellow shark and a few other shows but especially from the Yellow Shark shows I have a couple hundred photos that my friends took and gave me. I've got about 70 pictures that Eric Buxton took during the US & A leg of the 1988 tour. They are professional quality photos that basically no one has ever seen! I've got at least 1000 more photos to share but I'm just giving the Zappateers admins the time to write up clear warning that photos from this site may not be re-posted. I'm eager to share as many of them as possible but I can't until their warning is written. I'll be way beyond pissed of these photos or any of the photos I plan to upload get re-post to that Pinterest piece of shit website. The scans I made are really high quality and Ill do the best I can to clean up the scratches and color correction in Photoshop. Quite a few of the photos I included in this thread needed quite a lot of work in Photoshop. Please let me know if I ever go too far or miss anything because I am keeping the original scans so any changes/corrections I make that are too much or too little can be changed. By the way I'm glad you also like them. I have no idea how it happened by it's the definition of happy accident!

On a totally different plain of existence... I found these quotes from Einstein that are closely worded and have the same exact meanings. Talk about great minds think alike!!!

robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-10 11:02   [Quote] 
Hey I just want everyone to know that the reason why I deleted the images I posted here is because the asshole who stole my avatar photo from here and reposted it on this shitty website won't reply to my messages to give me photo credit or demands through the DCMA procedure to remove my phoyo. The picture means a lot to.me personally because I captured that moment in Frank's life when he finally realised his dream to be a composer and have an orchestra type group play his music the way be heard in his head. I see the content and satisfied look on his face. So it really burns me that this piece of crap not only stole. My photo and reposted it without obtaining permission not only refuses to give me credit, the fucker has further hidden my picture and steals photos from many different websites
I think that zappateers can help to take this guy out and if we did we could use it as a warning to future assholes who might think about doing this shit. I know the admins are busy and it may take some time but I know we can take this guy or gal big time.
So I didn't delete the photos out of spite or anger towards anyone at zappateers. What has been done by this site to preserve Frank's legacy is extremely important and appreciated. I'm glad to be a part of it. I just don't want to see my photos posted here anywhere else. I got some nice compliments in posts from people who looked at the pictures and I'm glad and honored by the compliments. You ain't see nothing yet! I really want to share all of my Zappa photo collection and I definitely will after we nail this asshole and hopefully that will send a clear to would be assholes. I know that many of the audio and video fro this site has been bootlegged but anyone would buy a Zappa bootleg these days when everything here is available for free deserves to get ripped off. The bootleggers themselves.... May they die if agonizing was cancer. Frank hated bootleggers but he got his revenge with Beat the Boots which was really clever on Frank's part. I do feel bad for the people on here who work so hard to put out the best possible version of an audio or video only to have it bootlegged by some twat. Many of the audio recordings from my collection on here been bootlegged from here like the Barber tapes which by the way I was one of the 5 people who paid Barber for the tapes to begin with. It sucks that there are assholes but the masses are asses. I have every intention of uploading all of Zappa photo collection and hd high resolution images... 10-20 mb per image not 400 kb sized compressed to help.
So to everyone let's be untied as the real hardcore fans and not let assholes steal from us. Just gotta be patient and the reward will be worth the wait! Rob

Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-06-12 09:12   [Quote] 
what an asshole!

robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-10-05 18:33   [Quote] 
Please delete this thread since it has no relevance! Thanks

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: