Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Some Outstanding Zappa Covers  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Author Message
McMick
Joined: 2015-06-26
Posts: 59
Post 2018-10-04 05:08   [Quote] 
Hi folks,

I wanted to start a thread of finds on the internet of outstanding Zappa covers. By outstanding I mean particularly note-accurate, well orchestrated and arranged, and with good or great sound quality. I invite you guys to put some links in this thread as well, if you happen to find any that really tickle your fancy and feel like sharing them with the rest of us.

So far I haven't ranged outside of Youtube yet, but here's my first batch of entries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9x9Wiw8QMc Perico Sambeat - It Must Be a Camel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0UiKcNTVII Vignola Collective - Lemme Take You to the Beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHgh1SCmfcQ HOT RATS ENSEMBLE - I Promise Not to Come In Your Mouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMIdfOV8dYo TTU Percussion - RDNZL *this one isn't particularly great sounding, but all of that percussion in one room, and the piece pretty well played, makes this exceptional to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWECR771tc Moggio Jazz Band - RDNZL *this also is not great sounding, and the guys make a few mistakes, but they get that horn sound going real good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0guyAx9OccI The Norwegian Radio Orchestra - Revised Music for Low Budget Orchestra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vng3F2Uc598 Cincinatti Wind Symphony - Envelopes

_________________
Burnt Wind
Hot Stinks
Traaaaathman
Burnnnnns
Squirm Screein'
PAAAAAAIN!!!!
- Angus O'Reilly O'Patrick McGinty
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Joined: 2007-02-01
Posts: 2836
Post 2018-10-05 17:20   [Quote] 
I like that slightly spaced out Camel!

...and I forgot all about the Norwegian Perfect Strangers record. Time to give it another listen, thought highly of it last time 'round.
Including the Goebell's pieces.

here's one for ya:

"Peaches en Regalia" played by Talichova Komorní Filharmonie (conducted by Maestro Marko Ivanović, who is also the author of the arrangement), 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3yXzRe5CfI
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
Joined: 2005-10-28
Posts: 195
Location: Adelaide, Australia
australia.gif
Post 2018-10-06 03:47   [Quote] 
I checked out that Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Perfect Strangers album on iTunes and I found the Heiner Goebbels stuff intriguing, so I bought the whole album.

I do not agree with these comments in the booklet, which leave me a wee bit baffled:

CD Booklet wrote:
While the music of Frank Zappa quite naturally seeks its inspiration in American pop culture, the references and spheres of activity of German composer, theatre director, and multi-artist Heiner Goebbels (b. 1952) are broad and varied.

Goebbels does not fit so easily into defined artistic categories, moving freely as he does within — and between — the realms and forms of expression of opera, theatre, and serious music.


Varése? Webern? Stravinsky? And so on? American pop culture?

_________________
It's not what you think, it's what you do.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
Joined: 2009-09-03
Posts: 952
burma.gif
Post 2018-10-06 09:04   [Quote] 
my favorite of all time...
LUMPY GRAVY The Spoilers from the lemme Take you to the Beach compilation sorry if surf music doen't count...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viqcx2XI0f4
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
McMick
Joined: 2015-06-26
Posts: 59
Post 2018-10-07 03:39   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
my favorite of all time...
LUMPY GRAVY The Spoilers from the lemme Take you to the Beach compilation sorry if surf music doen't count...


No, this is great stuff. I've heard it before awhile back, so I just forgot about it when I started making my list (which as a forgetful person is made of stuff I've listened to recently).

_________________
Burnt Wind
Hot Stinks
Traaaaathman
Burnnnnns
Squirm Screein'
PAAAAAAIN!!!!
- Angus O'Reilly O'Patrick McGinty
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
latcraf
Joined: 2006-03-15
Posts: 16
Post 2018-10-08 00:39   [Quote] 
Hello everyone!

Here are some outstanding performances from The Grand Jawaka ensemble (Montreal, Canada).
The performances were held at the Sala Rossa in Montreal on May 13th and July 7th, 2016.
Each night, the ensemble of 32 musicians, conducted by founder Philippe Hode-Keyser,
performed in its entirety the Waka/Jawaka and the Grand Wazoo albums; which have never
been done before.

Enjoy!

Waka/Jawaka
[Big Swifty] [EXCERPT]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umdeiKt2X-Y
[Your Mouth]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxdzxP1Xqy0
[It Just Might Be A One Shot Deal]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zrLdzaNUME
[Waka/Jawaka]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPntLf-M1wI

The Grand Wazoo
[The Grand Wazoo] [forthcoming]
[For Calvin - Cletus Awreetus Awrightus - Eat That Question]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9XMeZ0udwA
[Blessed Relief] [forthcoming]


Last edited by latcraf on 2018-10-08 03:17; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
feralcats
Joined: 2005-07-17
Posts: 42
Post 2018-10-08 01:24   [Quote] 
polydigm wrote:
I checked out that Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Perfect Strangers album on iTunes and I found the Heiner Goebbels stuff intriguing, so I bought the whole album.

I do not agree with these comments in the booklet, which leave me a wee bit baffled:

CD Booklet wrote:
While the music of Frank Zappa quite naturally seeks its inspiration in American pop culture, the references and spheres of activity of German composer, theatre director, and multi-artist Heiner Goebbels (b. 1952) are broad and varied.

Goebbels does not fit so easily into defined artistic categories, moving freely as he does within — and between — the realms and forms of expression of opera, theatre, and serious music.


Varése? Webern? Stravinsky? And so on? American pop culture?


I kinda see where they're coming from---Zappa's classical pieces have settings like a singles bar, business fraud, door to door salesmen, "illegal" immigration etc. Goebbels on the other hand prefers things like setting Walden, Italo Calvino, etc....it seems weird to me to say (or I guess to imply) that one is more broad or varied than the other. I like Goebbels music a good deal, but he wears the Zappa influence on his sleeve and often seems like the "safer" of the two
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Poster
Joined: 2013-07-25
Posts: 434
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-08 02:43   [Quote] 
latcraf wrote:

Waka/Jawaka
[Big Swifty] [EXCERPT]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umdeiKt2X-Y
[Your Mouth]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxdzxP1Xqy0
[It Just Might Be A One Shot Deal]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zrLdzaNUME
[Waka/Jawaka]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPntLf-M1wI

The Grand Wazoo
[The Grand Wazoo] [Not Available for now]
[For Calvin - Cletus Awreetus Awrightus - Eat That Question]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9XMeZ0udwA
[Blessed Relief] [Not Available for now]


I love the fact that somebody is doing something like this. Nice find
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
Joined: 2009-09-03
Posts: 952
burma.gif
Post 2018-10-09 11:39   [Quote] 
if surf is ok then I must add Help I'm a Rock West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkSfdGNuD0c&start_radio=1&list=RDdkSfdGNuD0c
and Willie the Pimp by StacK Waddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFbolohpxc
this particularly awesome version of Trouble Every Day...George Thorogood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFbolohpxc

and you might find this YOUTUBECHANNEL of interest which has 240 covers!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLemUXKspqbxaQKEjZMbfRmaMOck1Y1InF
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staaan
Joined: 2013-03-09
Posts: 153
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-09 12:02   [Quote] 
I like the stuff that Zappa Jam does on youtube, in particular G-Spot Tornado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QFnYZSV6Js
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
Joined: 2005-10-28
Posts: 195
Location: Adelaide, Australia
australia.gif
Post 2018-10-09 13:19   [Quote] 
feralcats wrote:
... it seems weird to me to say (or I guess to imply) that one is more broad or varied than the other ...
Exactly my problem with those notes. Is there a genre of music that FZ did not at the very least parody if not consider worthy of some interest?

_________________
It's not what you think, it's what you do.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
Joined: 2009-09-03
Posts: 952
burma.gif
Post 2018-10-10 14:37   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
if surf is ok then I must add Help I'm a Rock West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkSfdGNuD0c&start_radio=1&list=RDdkSfdGNuD0c
and Willie the Pimp by StacK Waddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFbolohpxc
this particularly awesome version of Trouble Every Day...George Thorogood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFbolohpxc

and you might find this YOUTUBECHANNEL of interest which has 240 covers!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLemUXKspqbxaQKEjZMbfRmaMOck1Y1InF


amd in reference to the ZAPPA use of the words cunts for republicans in the MOJO interview thread STACK WADDY change the words of Willie the PIMP to
'want a bit of cunt' from 'wanna buy a grunt'
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic
 
Page 1 of 1
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group, TorrentPier © Meithar