Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Trout from Third Man pre-order
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner
Zappamaniac
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-09-30 01:07   [Quote] 
Quote:
The other point I would make is that without Thr Captain John French has not pruduced a single piece of music of any note

what about his solo album City of Refuge?

Don´t let your meat loaf
Heh, heh, heh
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2018-09-30 09:37   [Quote] 
Exactly who has listened to that more than once? Look he is a fine drummer and arranger but Don was the creative force and that’s were the meagre rewards go its the way of the world. Don produced many songs without John French organising the band for him. Given the way the music biZ was in the 70s and 60s I think a minority avantgarde act like captain Beafheart and the Magic Band would have been lucky to stay solvent let alone make any dough, similarly subsequent rereleases would be lucky to cover cost. I am sure that John French has made some money touring the Captains work over the years wonder if he has paid any dues to the estate?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
GenerousMittenful
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-30 11:08   [Quote] 
Charles Baudelaire wrote:
It's kind of rediculous that one had to subscribe to some dubious marketing company to have the opportunity to acquire the way-cool Trout Mask Replica 50th anniversary album. I would like to see this album made available to majority of fans out there.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

P.S. It was fast what they pulled and way too bulbous to swallow. I don't dig Third Man.

Maybe that's the agreement that GZ/AZ had with JW for a very limited run.

Last edited by GenerousMittenful on 2018-10-01 17:21; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
GenerousMittenful
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-30 11:10   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
It's not the 50th Anniversary. That is next year. I'm sure that will not be missed. Wait it out.

^^and: Thanks, GM, for the interesting pressing/plates info above. From what I remember it is one of those vinyl vs. digital publishing issues. But then the ZFT seemed to back off of ANYTHING. Letting the CD go quickly out-of-print. Who the heck knows what it is all about. Warner-Rhino last VINYL press was 2016, I think. NO CD has been issued since the 2013 ZFT. Which sorta makes this never-been-out-of-print oddball classic now a not-so-readily-available oddball classic.^^

It's all marketing. Let the public mouths water for a bit. Then lay it on them in some nifty packaging for a hefty price...

[Profile]  [PM] 
GenerousMittenful
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-30 11:12   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
Nicely stated, DC.

ps when the heck are the ZFT even going to let anyone know about the CB site?
Maybe when they get around to announcing a new FZ release? Damn, we're almost a month out
from Halloween. What gives?

Hasn't Joe T been out on the road quite a bit with Joe S over the last few months?

[Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2018-10-30 05:56   [Quote] 
vivalapsych wrote:
brainpang wrote:
Yay! BCP and the Trout cd are back on the market:

http://captainbeefheart.com/

ps which hobo-ism is included?

For those that are interested in such things...these appear to have new catalogue numbers.

Just a tiny bit surprised that no mention of the remastering is in the TMR description.

Have the Trout cd in hand, bought from the new store, same cat # as previous: ZR 20014.
Looks the same as the 2013.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2018-10-30 06:39   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
Exactly who has listened to that more than once? Look he is a fine drummer and arranger but Don was the creative force and that’s were the meagre rewards go its the way of the world. Don produced many songs without John French organising the band for him. Given the way the music biZ was in the 70s and 60s I think a minority avantgarde act like captain Beafheart and the Magic Band would have been lucky to stay solvent let alone make any dough, similarly subsequent rereleases would be lucky to cover cost. I am sure that John French has made some money touring the Captains work over the years wonder if he has paid any dues to the estate?

I'm in the No Don/No Magic camp, but there is a case to be made that a lot of old, unreleased (at the time) numbers used on later albums wouldn't be the same without JF or BH acting as "musical director."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-31 07:04   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
vivalapsych wrote:
brainpang wrote:
Yay! BCP and the Trout cd are back on the market:

http://captainbeefheart.com/

ps which hobo-ism is included?

For those that are interested in such things...these appear to have new catalogue numbers.

Just a tiny bit surprised that no mention of the remastering is in the TMR description.

Have the Trout cd in hand, bought from the new store, same cat # as previous: ZR 20014.
Looks the same as the 2013.

My error. On the online store it appeared like they had new numbers.

Hmmmmm. At $14 a pop someone could clean up pretty good on Discogs where these seem to still regularly go for $40-$50 bucks on average.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vandelpinkfloyd
Post 2018-10-31 19:44   [Quote] 
Crossed my mind two, considering I almost dropped $60 on one before these new $14 showed up. But then again I don't flip so not sure if it's even worth the work
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 4 of 4 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: