Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Blue light question
Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Rectorybasement
Post 2018-09-14 10:29   [Quote] 
What is a blue light?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2018-09-14 11:43   [Quote] 
Blue light is part of the visible light spectrum, having a wavelength between 400−495 nm.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-14 12:21   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
Blue light is part of the visible light spectrum, having a wavelength between 400−495 nm.

TPS, I appreciate you being an admin and all, so please don't excoriate me for speaking up, but....

.... given the talk in another thread about how the FZ fans are aging, how this can doom regular discourse in this forum which is needed to keep the community alive, and how some folks are snobbish and dismissive..... and given that this poster literally just joined a few days ago and has politely thanked seeders and continues to seed him/herself and is now just asking a question out of curiosity....

... why would you answer this is such a smart-ass, not helpful way?

I get it's funny. And you could have lessened the blow of "fuck off new user" by following up with "But seriously, I don't know what that song's title means". Or hell, even just a Smile.

Rectory, the lyrics talk about being in Atlantis -- you know, Donovan sang about it! When you're that deep into the ocean -- with the krill and all -- any light is blue.

Or something like that.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-14 13:44   [Quote] 
Wonder what Paul Simon has to say about all of this.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-09-14 13:46   [Quote] 
Rectorybasement wrote:
What is a blue light?

This doesn't really answer the exam question, but is hopefully of interest - from Greg Russo's excellent Cosmik Debris: The Collected History and Improvisations of Frank Zappa:

"The Blue Light" mentioned the three Musketeers (Athos, Porthos and Aramis), and Zappa's wordplay used the words "ethos" and "pathos" along with connecting the name Aramis (a brand name fragrance) to a mention of Brut Cologne. For good measure, mentions of Donovan ("Atlantis") and Todd Rundgren were thrown in as well. Todd's overblown pyramid set used at early Utopia concerts was a source of ridicule by some audience members. Pizza purveyors Shakey's and Straw Hat Pizza were namechecked along with Winchell's Donuts and L.A. club The Blue Parrot. The '50s TV show "Death Valley Days" (a Ronald Reagan acting credit) was an obscure reference along with a micro-nanette - a small dust mop used for car cleaning. Let's not forget Zappa's mention of the '60s smoking banana craze, thanks to Donovan's "Mellow Yellow"!

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
TPS
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2018-09-14 13:59   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
please don't excoriate me for speaking up
Apologies for the Brit humour! It's a natural response to three word questions for me.
Mostly I think, the song was Frank playing with words, with his usual cynical twist of course. It appears from the start of the 80's Fall tour, but the lyrics morph and grow a lot during the tour and it's not until the end of the tour you get near the TTR version.

Some years ago...
Dark Clothes wrote:
The Blue Light --

Light beaming from the sun and sky above when you're under the water. Cf. the Trance-Fusion cover illustration. In this case the ocean has buried the land, like Atlantis. The blue light is a visual metaphor to describe a sinking culture - FZ's view of America, and more specifically American youth culture.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-14 14:39   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
oofers wrote:
Apologies for the Brit humour! It's a natural response to three word questions for me.

Ah, I forgot how easily across-the-pond mannerisms can get lost in translation, especially via the internet. No problem. I just didn't want to scare any newbies off. I was once one myself. Smile

Totally useless tidbit -- David Gilmour also has a song called "Blue Light". You're welcome.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-09-14 14:51   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
... why would you answer this is such a smart-ass, not helpful way?

I like to see a bit of humour on the site.....
Although I appreciate your concern for members being alienated (especially new ones) and the way you expressed it, I don't think answers like the one TPS gave are the reason - or even a contributory factor.

I'd be surprised if anyone was ever put off coming here because of someone's (attempted) humour.... I acknowledge that not everyone will always appreciate everyone else's idea of a laugh but that's not a reason for not attempting it. - It's the complete opposite of taking oneself too seriously which was another reason given in that other thread...

PS: I see that oofers has replied in the time it took for me to write the above... I'll post it anyway.

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rabbit
Contributor
uruguay.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-09-14 18:23   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
oofers wrote:
Mostly I think, the song was Frank playing with words, with his usual cynical twist of course. It appears from the start of the 80's Fall tour, but the lyrics morph and grow a lot during the tour and it's not until the end of the tour you get near the TTR version.

Some years ago...
Dark Clothes wrote:
The Blue Light --

Light beaming from the sun and sky above when you're under the water. Cf. the Trance-Fusion cover illustration. In this case the ocean has buried the land, like Atlantis. The blue light is a visual metaphor to describe a sinking culture - FZ's view of America, and more specifically American youth culture.

Apologies for the Brit humour!

No apologies TPS; i love this humour! Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ob
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-09-14 18:51   [Quote] 
Question
Rectorybasement wrote:
What is a blue light?

Answer A very nice (and I always thought) slightly unusual Zappa song.

(PS pop it on your mix tape, get a load of Zappa fans in the room or car and hit play - I guarantee you'll all be singing along in a Wayne's World / BoRap stylee).

[Profile]  [PM] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-09-14 18:57   [Quote] 
A light that's blue.

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-09-14 19:18   [Quote] 
Ob wrote:
Question
Rectorybasement wrote:
What is a blue light?

Something on top of a Black Maria.

[That's pronounced ''Mah-rye-ah'' (Not ''Mah-ree-ah'' like the girl's name) - slang for a police van..]

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staaan
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-14 19:19   [Quote] 
To be fair, the OP's question WAS vague he/she could of been a little more clearer on what it was they were trying to ascertain.

For example: I'm curious as to what FZ was referring to or the meaning behind the song "Blue Light"
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TwentySmallCigars
canada.gif
Post 2018-09-14 21:32   [Quote] 
Blue lights are also referenced in Village of the Sun. All part of the conceptual continuity fun.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Rectorybasement
Post 2018-09-14 22:15   [Quote] 
Thanks for the feedback.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 3 Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: