Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Tom Brown
Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
wildfisherman
Vine Coordinator
uk.gif
Post 2018-09-11 16:41   [Quote] 
Tom's having a hard time again. In fact, if the truth be told, he's having a hard time pretty much all of the time. I don't personally know Tom but I have in the past contributed to his GoFundMe page, so I get updates on his situation whenever he posts them. I help with a few dollars whenever I can, particularly when I can see it's been a while since any substantial donation came in, but the effect any one person can have is minimal. It would be nice if people here on Zappateers could contribute what they were able - if enough of us did it it would amount to something worth having. It's certainly not going to solve Tom's long term problems but could give him some respite for a week or two, or more if things went well. And good to know that there are more people out there who care. I know we've had appeals for Tom on Zappateers before but it doesn't hurt to have another one every once in a while.

If nothing else, a few dollars in gratitude for all the material on the tracker that actually originated with Tom. Whether it came from Robsam's collection, or Drew's, or some other, a lot of those tapes were first collected by Tom and made freely and generously available.

If you've no idea who Tom Brown is, may I suggest you read one or both of his books,

Summer of Love, My Ass!

Confessions of a Zappa Fanatic

They are both a really good read. I guess I got engaged with Tom by reading the first book. I am much the same age as him, but while I was having a very fine time in the 'Summer of Love' he was caught up in this ridiculous struggle not to end up in Vietnam. It's terrible that someone who went through all that with such good humour and refusal to compromise on his principles now finds himself in the predicament that he does.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
ivester
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-09-11 21:10   [Quote] 
Tom was also the guy at Rhino who picked out the bootlegs for Frank to select for the Beat the Boots series. He's a major contributor to the Zappa community.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-09-11 21:34   [Quote] 
Fuck, this shit pisses me off!! Tom Brown is a great man!!

The U.S. gives billions to shithole countries every year but don't take care of ourof our own citizens properly. It makes me so fucking mad.

Last edited by jaypfunk on 2018-09-12 00:23; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wildfisherman
Vine Coordinator
uk.gif
Post 2018-09-11 23:24   [Quote] 
Ironically, since I started this thread a few hours ago, Tom has posted another update which says that things are going a whole lot better this week. It's the most positive update I've seen in months, but it doesn't alter the fact that his basic circumstances are wretched and he could be doing with a hand.

I'm happy to see he's good today and glad that he's up for sharing that and that not everything is gloom and doom.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rabbit
Contributor
uruguay.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-09-11 23:32   [Quote] 
jaypfunk wrote:
Fuck, this shit pisses me off!! Tom Brown is a great man!!

The U.S. gives billions to shithole countries every year but don't take care of our of our own citizens properly. It makes me so fucking mad.

Is Uruguay XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
offtopic
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2018-09-12 08:04   [Quote] 
Here is the same topic from 5 years ago.

Tom is zappa fanatic here on Zappateers.
I have been reading Tom's updates these past years, and some of it makes pretty hard, but compulsive, reading.
It is a mind fuck that a civilised society in the 21st century can allow such tragedies to happen to one of it's citizens.
Given different circumstances, it could be any one of us.

If you met Tom is a bar this week, would you buy him a beer? prost
If you would, then send him the cost of that beer. He'll probably spend it on meds to keep himself alive, but then, that's Tom for ya.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-09-12 08:05   [Quote] 
wildfisherman wrote:
Ironically, since I started this thread a few hours ago, Tom has posted another update which says that things are going a whole lot better this week. It's the most positive update I've seen in months, but it doesn't alter the fact that his basic circumstances are wretched and he could be doing with a hand.

I'm happy to see he's good today and glad that he's up for sharing that and that not everything is gloom and doom.

Glad to hear things are slightly better with him, even if not in overall circumstances... Sad

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-10-03 23:21   [Quote] 
Mkay...
I don't post on here much for various reasons which I won't bore you with now but you should all know that a good percentage of the audio tapes on this site came from my Zappa audio collection which I generously donated to Zappateers several years ago. I would estimate that one third of those tapes were traded and/or given to me by the one and only Tom Brown. Recordings including but not limited to Chalk Pie, Crush All Boxes, the 2nd LP of Just Another Band From LA, the Berlin 1978 soundboard, countless rehearsal tapes as well as numerous video tapes, etc. I can't remember them all off the top of my head but there are numerous more gems from my audio and video collection that came directly from Tom Brown who is not only the original hardcore Zappa fan but he is also "The Jimi Hendrix of Zappa Fans" in the words of Arthur Barrow.

Well I'm writing this to implore each and everyone of you to donate some money to Tom Brown because he needs it more now than ever! I recently received an email from Tom telling me about a horrific accident he survived in which he broke 2 ribs, his hip and damaged his legs. He is in very bad condition and is still been in living in a sleazery crack motel in Venice. It's a travesty that such an amazing person and a huge supporter behind the scenes of this site and the Zappa community at large should be living in squalor and in pain at this point of his life. Tom has not only given so much to this site by proxy, he was also single handedly responsible for both Beat The Boots box sets as well as his two amazingly brilliant books: Summer of Love My Ass + Confessions of a Zappa Fanatic. If you don't have these books you should get them immediately!
We all owe Tom a huge debt of gratitude for all he has given us and he deserves a lot more than that. I implore you all to donate some money to Tom so that he can get himself out of the crack motel he has been living in for far too long. He has earned it and we owe it to him. There is no single person who has given more than Tom to the Zappa community... albeit indirectly but it's still the same.

Tom has told me that I will be the recipient of the contents if his storage unit which contains the largest Zappa memorabilia collection in the world. I'm in no hurry to receive his collection and I am humbled and grateful for his generosity. What I would like is for Tom to be able to get out of the crack motel and be surrounded by his 50+ years of collection of Zappa memorabilia. He's earned it and he deserves it! Tom gave up over a year of his life in order to not serve in the army and fight in Vietnam. The U.S. + A hole army kidnapped him and against his will forced him to go to Ford Ord for basic training. Shortly thereafter, Tom escaped from from Fort Ord and ironically was arrested by the FBI at the Broadside in Pomona where Frank formed the Mothers a couple of years prior.

The bottom line is simple... Everyone on here must donate whatever they can afford in order to help Tom get out of the shit hole he is in and be able to move into an apartment or house so he can be surrounded by his life long collection of Zappa posters, records, knick knacks, doo dads and various memorabilia. This is the good, right, proper, humane and only thing to do. I have given Tom thousands of dollars in the past and if I were richer I would give him as much as I could to help him live in comfort surrounded by his Zappa collection. But I am not in a financial position to do so at the moment. I am asking or rather telling each and every one of you to donate whatever you can and as much as you can to Tom right now and there is no excuse why all of you can't do so. If you have downloaded and enjoyed any of my audio collection as well as several other contributors' collections... You owe it to Tom to contribute some money to him and help him get the fuck out of the crack motel. I expect an outpouring of support for Tom at this point and I won't accept anything less. I have given so much to this site and If things don't go the way I surely hope they will then I doubt that anyone will ever see any of the treasures that are in Tom's storage unit. I hate to sound like I would hold Tom's 50+ year collection hostage, but I have to honest and say that I am really disappointed by the lack of support I have received from the admins when my avatar picture was stolen. Their lack of support caused me to reconsider sharing any of the 1000s of Zappa photos I have that have never been shared. So maybe if there is an amazing support of Tom in his most dire time of need as well as the admins addressing the issue of images being stolen from this site... I may reconsider my current position to never share anything here again. I have been extremely generous to this site and its members and unless there is a big change in supporting both Tom Brown and myself, I will never share or promote this site again. I'm sorry to come off like a total asshole but I think I have earned the right to decide what I will share in the future. I put this in all your hands now. Please help Tom Brown because he needs it, he deserves it and he has earned it.
Thank you very much and good night!

GenerousMittenful
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-04 01:07   [Quote] 
By mistake, I just donated to the link from 2015. I hope he gets it. If someone is in contact with him, please let him know the old GoFundMe is still active. Thanks.

[Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-04 02:53   [Quote] 
For people who might be newer here, his book Confessions Of A ZAPPA Fanatic is highly recommended as a good read. It's another way to help him out.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
ejciii
usa.gif
Post 2018-10-04 03:22   [Quote] 
I just did thanks robsam
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-10-04 08:25   [Quote] 
rubbershirt wrote:
For people who might be newer here, his book Confessions Of A ZAPPA Fanatic is highly recommended as a good read. It's another way to help him out.

I agree...and I enjoyed both of Tom's books...

Dude deserves some help and just maybe the 'Zappateers' who happily DL show upon show and haunt the threads without donating to the site will find this worthy of their greasy little avant-garde pocketmoney.... Wink

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-10-04 11:10   [Quote] 
hoops wrote:
rubbershirt wrote:

I agree...and I enjoyed both of Tom's books...

Dude deserves some help and just maybe the 'Zappateers' who happily DL show upon show and haunt the threads without donating to the site will find this worthy of their greasy little avant-garde pocketmoney.... Wink

Well written hoops, rubbershirt, etc. GenerousMittenfull + ejciii and to whoever else has donated money to Tom I thank on Tom's behalf.

I just want to add... Imagine if you will, this website without my audio collection and the crucial recordings that came directly to me from Tom that I have mentioned in my previous post. Would any of you pay $10 or $20 each for Chalk Pie, Crush All Boxes, the 2nd LP of Just Another Band From LA, the Berlin 1978 soundboard, etc? I know I would but it's been presented here free of charge. I know the fetishists type of Zappa Fans that would pay anything for the purple vinyl edition of the Czech version of Joe's Garage. Well now it's time to put your money where Tom's mouth is to mix metaphors!

I feel bad about using the contents of Tom's storage unit as leverage or the proverbial carrot on the proverbial stick. But I have found in life that people need a good shot updside their proverbial heads both literally and figuratively. It's the only way to get this AD/HD world's collective attention!

As for just smidgeon of what I saw in Tom's storage unit a few years ago when I helped get his drum set out for him to pawn for much needed sustenance money... I came across several UMRK rehearsal tapes that have never been circulated as well as the 1974 Mother's Day Chicago tapes among the countless Zappa treasures in Tom's storage unit. Tom deserves to live in a normal house surrounded by the Zappa memorabilia he has been collecting since 1965 and not a crack head motel.

We can come together as Zappa Fanatics and in the spirit of Frank's love of his fans in order to help the original Zappa fanatic aka Tom Brown get out of that shit hole motel!

If you guys want to ever see and hear any of Tom's lifelong collection of Zappa goodies... Then it's time to put up or get out so to speak.

Finally buying Tom's books does more for you then it does for him. He gets a couple of dollars for each book he sells. That said, I urge you to buy and read both of his because they are excellent. Summer of Love My Ass has an endorsement on the back by none other than Academy Award winning cinematographer Haksell Wexler who did the cinematography on FZ's film Uncle Meat as well as Medium Cool. His endorsement states "This book would make a great movie!" (Where's Martin Scorsese when you need him!)
Confessions of a Zappa Fanatic is a must read for all hardcore Zappa fans. By all means buy both of Tom's books but most importantly please donate whatever you can to help Tom get out of that shit hole crack motel and into a real house. If we can make this happen I promise everything of FZ significance in that storage shed will be shared here by hopefully Tom himself who I hope lives to 100+ years old. Or by me if Tom leaves on his final tour before he can get the shit out of his storage unit. I'm hoping it will be the former not the latter.

Please please please help Tom!

This is a picture I took at the sleazery motel Tom has been living at for years now. The turn down service isn't a piece of chocolate on the pillow... It's a crack pipe on the bed. Yes is really a crack pipe one of the housekeepers left on the bed. The turn service is a joke! Still pretty fucked up!

wildfisherman
Vine Coordinator
uk.gif
Post 2018-10-04 12:08   [Quote] 
Come on people, it doesn't have to be a lot, provided a decent number of us do it.

At the moment it's just three. That's a bit sad. By rights it should be three hundred, like the number of people who would download one of his shows or one of those things that never got released. Honestly, a few dollars won't hurt you.

Read his books. I swear you'll enjoy them. Get an idea of who you're dealing with here before you say I Don't Even Care.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-10-04 13:28   [Quote] 
wildfisherman wrote:
Come on people, it doesn't have to be a lot, provided a decent number of us do it.

At the moment it's just three. That's a bit sad. By rights it should be three hundred, like the number of people who would download one of his shows or one of those things that never got released. Honestly, a few dollars won't hurt you.

Read his books. I swear you'll enjoy them. Get an idea of who you're dealing with here before you say I Don't Even Care.

Preach brother and amen god damn it! For fuck's sakes!

Chalk Pie is one of my favorite Zappa albums period! Not judging by released or unreleased. The version of Chalk Pie on this tracker came indirectly from Tom's heart to you! How much would any if had paid for Chalk Pie is had been released by Gail Sloatman after Frank died? $30-$40 plus exhorbitant shipping and handling costs! Pretend it was sold in the store or by mail order or that everyone who wanted to downloaded had to pay for it. Chalk Pie is one of Frank's most brilliant albums it is available now at the low low introductory K-Tel Columbia House price of only $20 with no shipping or handling. Well you handle it all you want if you burn it to CD and print the cover. 300 people have downloaded the definitive Tom Brown version of Chalk Pie so that would be $6000 for Tom if everyone who downloaded that gem of a masterpiece
donated a mere $20 each.

The 2nd LP of Just Another Band From LA... also 300 downloads so that would be $12,000 for Tom to get out of the crack house motel!

It's inappropriate for me to copy and paste Tom's email to me (unless he tells me it's ok to do so). But here's the reader's digest version. Tom was walking back to the crack hotel after a physical therapy appointment. Something made him feel like he was walking up a steep hill even though he was on a level surface. He collapsed hard on the side serious damaging the right side if his body. He passed out in shock and was laying in the side walk for a while and when he came to and was still dazed and confused, some asswipe walk right past and didn't ask if he was ok or needed help. He bleeding profusely from his leg and had to crawl back to the crack motel. After unsuccessfully trying to patch himself up, he went to emergency and had cat scans, x-rays an MRI, etc. He broke two ribs and serious fucked his hip, leg and foot. It's a fucking horror show and to me and Tom the worst part was that that mutherfucker walked right by him and basically left him there to die. The analogy here is that the people on here who don't help Tom with some well earned financial support, they would be doing the same thing that assmuch did to Tom on the street. I hope that this will convince each and every one of you to open up your wallet and give to Tom and help a man who was given the Zappa community more than any other person beside Frank himself. Ask yourself WWFZD?! What would Frank Zappa Do?!

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 3 Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: