Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1981 11 28 Minneapolis MN 139.02 AUD (Hoosac92-pbuzby-seeitlive) - Source #1 ZTLS #839
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
Elkana
denmark.gif
Post 2018-07-20 07:20   [Quote] 
Thank you so much. A great show indeed hearts
 [Profile]  [PM] 
camabrillo
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-07-20 19:35   [Quote] 
Thank you so much! 😘

Wips
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-04 15:04   [Quote] 
Great, great show. Whatever this was captured on, it recorded a nice full range- pretty dynamic!

Frank conducting the audience warmed my heart, he was obviously in a good mood. The band really clicking on solo sections, Ray White flubbing the end of Easy Meat- all the pieces are in place for a classic show!

God knows what Bobby is saying in the verses to Bamboozled . . . ?

Interesting woman screaming constantly in left channel- made me smile. Audience tapes can be fun.

This band could really open up in the solo sections. Frank really shows off his versitality and talent for switching through styles within a single solo here. I have always liked Steves' 'sitar' guitar effect.

Stunning, hard as balls setlist technically. Segue Envelopes into Drowning Witch, Baltimore and Moggio?!? And it is performed SO WELL. This is some difficult stuff to learn, when did Chad join? Nobody is what Vince brings to the drums, but Chad was ALWAYS a solid A, and maybe 35% of the time, an A+.

What really is the secret word or phrase in this one? 'Soup', sometimes I think I hear, or the coughing sound? Very entertaining.

Very nice to have a We're Turning Again in an original incarnation. Always a little more fluid in the early performances.

A nice, wide open vista to solo in during King Kong is always a treat to hear. Wow, Frank really goes places on this one, beautiful capture of his tone here! :O

Ray and Bobby on Sharleena create a beautiful 'air sculpture'. I keep hearing the horns from 88 in here tho! To my ear, the 'real' percussion of Ed .vs the plasticity of the Zevod mallet keyboard tones makes ALL the diffrence. Dang, Frank is really on fire this show, such a dirty, winding, precise, fun solo.
The band then proceeds to miss coming back in after the solo (maybe Frank didn't signal?), and the guy in the crowd goes, "The're SO tight!". Hilariously ironic.

Again, difficult pieces. Sinister comes next, with those wonderful, dirty low bending guitar notes and Frank attacking in the solo. What a fantastic, trippy canvas to solo on.

We're got Stevies Spanking w/ a certain Steve Vai- an evidently crucial component (see BBYNHIYL).

Last thought, this concert really shines a light on Franks ability to use contrast effectivley, (something he talks about in the YCDTOSA liner notes). A concert of JUST heavy guitar ballz rock, or JUST immaculatley written peices played spot on note for note, or JUST vocal heavy vocal harmonized pop songs, or JUST solo canvas setups would not work for this time duration, nor for the average attention span of a person.
The show is broken up into chunks of each, sometimes in the middle of a song, then back, IN THE SAME SONG! It pulls the listener through almost 'phases' of sound that sort of intertwine after a while and become that 'Zappa' sound.
But you can see that variation used to great effect in this concert, see segue from Bamboozled to Envelopes, or from King Kong to Sharleena, the complete tonal shift.

Bamboozled = heavy guitars, vocals
Envelopes = no vocals (well, not here!) an open, spacious percussion oriented tune.

Anyway, I really love this show, thank you Zappateers!

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-04 18:51   [Quote] 
I think Vai's sitar was not an effect, but a Coral electric sitar that he also used on other projects after the Zappa tours. Someone here probably knows more details.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-08-05 16:06   [Quote] 
I believe that is correct. I seem to remember you can seem him playing the Coral sitar guitar in the Halloween '81 videos.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
warewolf95
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-10 00:36   [Quote] 
Aw yesss. Thank you so much to everyone involved! Smile

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Shows All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: