Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Is anyone currently transcribing (or planning to do so) any of Zappa's music?
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
animatronicity
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-08 18:17   [Quote] 
I want to transcribe some of Zappa's music (at the moment just guitar solos), but I don't want to plunge into transcribing something that's already being worked on.
So I'd like to know if anyone is currently transcribing/plans to transcribe in the near future any of Zappa's music.

Anyone else who's interested in transcribing might also want to check this thread for the same reason. I'll post when I'm working on something.

Here's what I'm looking into at the moment:
- Republicans (Guitar), guitar solo part -- I've finished two pages so far. I'm doing this from cassette as an exercise in ear training. Also, wouldn't a Guitar Guitar Book be cool?
- Keep it Greasey (Joe's Garage), guitar solo. I've not done anything yet on this.
- What's New in Baltimore (version from Chalk pie). I haven't done anything on this.
- Canard Du Jour (ROTSOSUNPYG), full. I'm strongly leaning toward this being my next project.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
australia.gif
Post 2018-08-08 23:22   [Quote] 
I've transcribed some of the easy stuff, like the melodic part of Aybe Sea (not the piano outro), because I couldn't find a correct interpretation of the arpeggio that ends the melody and also Duodenum - for both of which I have also worked out the written music. I've also worked out a basic score for Magic Fingers, but not the solo.

There are various segments I can play by ear, but haven't scored them as it's been unnecessary for me because they're in my head anyway, for example, the acoustic guitar solo in My Guitar (Weasels version). I worked out that two bar piece of FZ wonderment at the end of No More Mr Nice Girl and have written that down.

The only complete pieces I've learnt by ear are Echidna's Arf where, after trying it for a long time on electric guitar and steel string acoustic, I've settled on an arrangement for picked classical guitar (I don't do finger picking) including a rhythm guitar riff for the solo section and Zoot Allures (One or two harmonic inaccuracies still to figure out in ZA), but I haven't scored those yet either. I've almost got most of the head of Big Swifty figured out. If push came to shove I could produce scores for these, but it's time consuming.

I made a transcription of the rhythm guitar part for sleep dirt and an analysis of the scales used in the solo.

I'm not really interested in transcribing complete guitar solos, because I'm more interested in working on my own style, but I have tried figuring out various bits and pieces from time to time.

Last edited by polydigm on 2018-08-09 23:48; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-08-09 08:52   [Quote] 
polydigm wrote:
...I worked out that two bar piece of FZ wonderment at the end of No More Mr Nice Guy and have written that down..

That's No More Mr Nice Girl surely?

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
australia.gif
Post 2018-08-09 14:34   [Quote] 
Freudian slip. Embarassed

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-08-09 19:01   [Quote] 
I don't have my (US) Touch Me There LP at hand at the moment, but I seem to recall that it says No More Mr. Nice Girl on the sleeve but No More Mr. Nice Guy on the label.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2018-08-09 20:06   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
I don't have my (US) Touch Me There LP at hand at the moment, but I seem to recall that it says No More Mr. Nice Girl on the sleeve but No More Mr. Nice Guy on the label.

I can confirm that, 'Girl' on the cover and inner, but 'Guy' on the label. My German copy is correct even on the label Wink
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-08-09 20:59   [Quote] 
BengoFury wrote:
drdork wrote:

I can confirm that, 'Girl' on the cover and inner, but 'Guy' on the label. My German copy is correct even on the label Wink

Bengo, does your German copy have a printed inner sleeve? My copy (Mercury Phonogram) has just a blanc standard inner.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2018-08-09 21:07   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:
Bengo, does your German copy have a printed inner sleeve? My copy (Mercury Phonogram) has just a blanc standard inner.

Just a standard inner.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-08-09 21:31   [Quote] 
BengoFury wrote:
Pittylabelle wrote:

Just a standard inner.

Thanks for the info. I thought the original printed one was missing, because I had bought it second hand back then.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-09 21:59   [Quote] 
animatronicity wrote:

Here's what I'm looking into at the moment:
- Republicans (Guitar), guitar solo part -- I've finished two pages so far. I'm doing this from cassette as an exercise in ear training. Also, wouldn't a Guitar Guitar Book be cool?

I remember seeing a transcription online of one of the solos from Guitar ("Orrin Hatch On Skis," I think) and thinking how much simpler rhythmically it was than the solos from SUNPYG. No idea if it is still online.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
thetic
netherlands.gif
Post 2018-08-09 21:59   [Quote] 
The Frank Zappa Guitar Book: Transcribed by and Featuring an Introduction by Steve Vai.

Last edited by thetic on 2018-08-09 22:11; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-08-09 22:13   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
I remember seeing a transcription online of one of the solos from Guitar ("Orrin Hatch On Skis," I think) and thinking how much simpler rhythmically it was than the solos from SUNPYG. No idea if it is still online.

Lewis Saul's transcription is here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
australia.gif
Post 2018-08-09 23:15   [Quote] 
thetic wrote:
The Frank Zappa Guitar Book: Transcribed by and Featuring an Introduction by Steve Vai.
There is a separate thread dedicated to fixing errors in The Frank Zappa Guitar Book at the end of this link.

polydigm
australia.gif
Post 2018-08-09 23:54   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
I've got the vinyl printed in Chicago and that does indeed confer with what you're saying. I also have a UK printed CD which says No More Mr. Nice Girl on the disc.

In my case it wasn't really a Freudian slip, I've always known it was No More Mr. Nice Girl, I just wrote it down in a rush and bloody auto pilot took over. That's what it will probably say on my gravestone - Death by Auto Pilot.

Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-08-09 23:59   [Quote] 
polydigm wrote:
thetic wrote:
There is a separate thread dedicated to fixing errors in The Frank Zappa Guitar Book at the end of this link.

You guys are fu**ing amazing!

Maybe you should let Steve know about that thread. Razz
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: