Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
FZ record console
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-08 15:53   [Quote] 
I'm just not sure what to think about this:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/luno-collaborates-with-frank-zappa-estate-on-new-limited-edition-record-console/

On the one hand, sure, it's a (supposedly) high-end record player with some FZ vinyl thrown in to boot (can any turntable audiophiles confirm that the guts of the system are indeed top-notch?). Only 10 available for sale. The Sofa brass soundwave is kind of cool.... I guess.

But "a minibar with Zappa whiskey glasses and space for four liquor bottles" -- that seems really out of touch. And remember not too long ago the ZFT weren't even letting Dweezil use his dad's name? And then they go and okay FZ's image on a shot glass? I dunno.... something's off here.

Last edited by oofers on 2018-08-09 00:25; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
manxzx
Busy Poster
Post 2018-08-08 16:04   [Quote] 
And what's the price?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-08-08 17:26   [Quote] 
manxzx wrote:
And what's the price?

AZ's integrity?

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-08-08 20:17   [Quote] 
HERE COME THE YOGA PANTS !

staaan
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-08 21:37   [Quote] 
I collect old consoles for their tube amps (see attached pic) and some of them ( Fisher, Ampex, Magnavox) from the late 50's & early 60's were very well built and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. In some cases I believe it was Fisher outsourced the cabinet making to Drexel furniture.

More times then not they have been sitting in someones parent or even grandparents basement for the past 20 to 40 years or have been used as entertainment centers.

A good buddy of mine who owns and operates a brick & mortar audio repair shop specializing in vintage gear has seen a big uptick over the past couple of years in younger folk (20's & 30's) bringing these old consoles to his shop so he can get them back up and running even the solid state ones. He's currently restoring an old Magnavox that was donated to his shop and he's constantly on the look out for more.

A guy I know who owns & runs a record distribution company has an old Zenith console in his listening room. I'm pretty sure the unit doesn't work but it's a well designed nice looking piece of furniture that he has his personal TT & audio equipment sitting on.

There is a forum online dedicated to just vintage consoles

http://vintagehifi.net/index.php

Another link

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/magnavox-consoles-late-50s-early-60s-warning-lg-files.192601/

As for the TT in the "Zappa Console" the Pro-Ject Esprit SB turntable sells at Walmart, possibly Best Buy and online from multiple outlets for about $599. I don't think it's considered an esteemed or hi end TT.

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/files/dscn7868_884.jpg

Last edited by staaan on 2018-08-08 21:51; edited 2 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staaan
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-08 21:44   [Quote] 
Here's a pic of an Ampex Crescendo circa 1959, the pic is from the web. I currently have this in my living room with the TV on top. The center door opens so I can access my MacMini (which I use for a music server), my Schiit Modi DAC, and my Roku box and seeing that it's made of wicker the remote to the Roku works fine.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staaan
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-08 21:47   [Quote] 
manxzx wrote:
And what's the price?

I'd like to know that too and when I tried to find out all I got was this

https://www.iamluno.com/pricing-inquiry/
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-09 00:38   [Quote] 
Originally I thought about how cheesy it is to have FZ's image stamped on shot glasses. But staan's discussion about how these old console record players are becoming in fashion with the hipsters and the vinyl crowd made me think of another aroma of this whole thing that is off. And that is that FZ was always on the cutting edge of technology. He went digital before it was cool. What would he even think of the current vinyl nostalgia trend?

I don't think he lost sleep over his later releases being CD only. And we all know he even hinted at something like a streaming service in the FZ book.

So this whole "let's make one of those huge record players that are massive pieces of furniture that we all remember from the 60s and 70s and slap FZ's name on it" thing is just so incongruous.

Well only 10 are being sold, so at least we can't say it's "mass-produced". And the chance of encountering this monstrosity in the wild is small.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staaan
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-09 01:00   [Quote] 
I think another thing about why consoles are becoming popular again is that folks are gravitating away from AVR's, 5.1 sound systems and all the accompanying wires, cables speakers etc; I call it the declutter factor.

Some of the old consoles had really good speakers in them too such as old JBL's, Stephens Trusonics etc;
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2018-08-09 09:13   [Quote] 
manxzx wrote:
And what's the price?

The non custom model is apparently $14,995, so upwards of that...
http://www.iamluno.com/product/egb2-record-console/

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
staaan
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-09 15:03   [Quote] 
The model in the link @TPS posted is somewhat similar to what Zenith was doing back in the early 60's.

Here's an entity who sells refurbished "modified" consoles

https://thevintedgeco.com/products/mid-century-zenith-stereo-console-record-player-changer-bluetooth-am-fm-tuner
 [Profile]  [PM] 
belew-vibe
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-08-11 22:07   [Quote] 
If I had money to burn (and that's a big if...), I would certainly buy this - and so would you guys !! I would ONLY play ZFT vinyl on it. Mind you, that doesn't mean that Diva and Holland would just come to my house and hang out, like in the groovy promo photos...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TFEC
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-08-12 00:32   [Quote] 
YES!!!

THIS is the FZ release we've all been waiting for!

(Jeezus fuckin' christ)

hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-08-12 08:39   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
manxzx wrote:
And what's the price?

AZ's integrity?

Laughing

GoFund Tom Brown, you'll love it, it's a way of life...
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
vudicus
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-08-12 17:12   [Quote] 
Is the Stereo 4 way?

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: