Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
The Frank Zappa Guitar Book -- errata etc.
Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
animatronicity
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-27 20:04   [Quote] 
Hello! I've been working with and analyzing the Frank Zappa Guitar Book for a while now, and I thought it would be good to share what I've found with the community.
I'm not quite done with everything as of now, but it's in a good state to share.

So what do I have to share?
First of all, after careful scrutiny, I've figured out exactly which copyists copied what (I've always though it's a little uncool that they weren't credited in each score).
Here's that info:

Copyists:

five-five-FIVE - Lee Scott
Hog Heaven - Lee Scott
Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar - David Ocker
While You Were Out - Art Jarvinen
Trecherous Cretins - Lee Scott
Heavy Duty Judy - Lee Scott
Soup 'n Old Clothes - Lee Scott

Variations on The Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression - Art Jarvinen
Gee, I Like Your Pants - Lee Scott
The Deathless Horsie - Richard Emmet
Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More - David Ocker
Pink Napkins - Art Jarvinen

Stucco Homes - David Ocker til m. 235; Art Jarvinen from m. 236/p. 192 to the end

Theme from the 3rd movement of Sinister Footwear - Richard Emmet

Watermelon in Easter Hay - David Ocker
Packard Goose - David Ocker
Outside Now - Lee Scott
He Used To Cut The Grass - Richard Emmet

Sheik Yerbouti Tango - Richard Emmet
Rat Tomago - Richard Emmet
Mo' Mama - Richard Emmet

Black Napkins - Lee Scott

Then, I have a full comparison of the drumming in While You Were Out, Stucco Homes, Outside Now, and He Used To Cut The Grass:

It's been noted before that all four of those songs share parts of the same drum track. The drum parts to all of them originate from the same recording, the exact source of which is unknown, though I'd assume that it comes from a recording of Outside Now, as a lot of it is in 11. Apparently it is from a live recording... could it be from Graz, Austria, 1979?

Well, I don't think anyone's done a full comparison yet, but, since all these songs are in the guitar book, I decided to go and try it. Here's what I found (note: this is in terms of measures... in the guitar book, only Stucco Homes and While You Were Out are numbered; see below the tables for a guide to the other measure numbers):

(Abbreviations: WYWO - While You Were Out; SH - Stucco Homes; ON - Outside Now; HUTCTG - He Used To Cut The Grass)

Code:

Intra-WYWO:

WYWO   | WYWO
-------|--------
3-6    | 105-108
-------|--------
68-77  | 109-118
-------|--------
79-102 | 119-142

Intra-SH

SH      | SH
--------|--------
51-52   | 161-163
--------|--------
104-119 | 225-240
--------|--------
120-144 | 278-302

(also the 2nd guitar part repeats itself at least once: 131-144 <-> 289-301)

WYWO-SH

WYWO    | SH
--------|--------
  3-5   |   50-53
105-107 |
--------|--------
  4-6   | 161-164
107-108 |
--------|--------
 95-104 |   42-49
159-142 |
--------|--------
108-109 | 163-169

ON-SH

ON    | SH
------|---------
1-3   |  107-116
------|---------
4-12  |    15-39
------|---------
13-29 |  238-256
      |  117-119

HUTCTG-WYWO

HUTCTG | WYWO
-------|--------
20-40  | 145-165
-------|--------
59-83  | 166-190

I could combine it into one huge, confusing table... but I'm not sure how to do it in any clear way.

Measure numbers:
While You Were Out and Stucco Homes already have measure numbers, but the other two don't.
Outside Now is simple, as there is one measure per system, so we have:

Code:

Page 243 -- mm.1-3
Page 244 -- mm.4-8
Page 245 -- mm.9-13
Page 246 -- mm.14-18
Page 247 -- mm.19-23
Page 248 -- mm.24-28
Page 249 -- mm.29-33

He Used To Cut The Grass is harder, because, while it starts with two measures per system, towards the end it says "PULSE CONTINUES WITHOUT BARLINES." Here I've done the same thing that's done in While You Were Out and Stucco Homes, and just numbered every system as though it were a measure. Also, when I say that a page goes from mm.1-8 for this song, that means that the last measure on the page -- the second measure of the last system, usually -- is measure eight.

Code:

Page 250 -- mm.1-8
Page 251 -- mm.9-18
Page 252 -- mm.19-28
Page 253 -- mm.29-38
Page 254 -- mm.39-48
Page 255 -- mm.49-58
Page 256 -- mm.59-68
Page 257 -- mm.69-78
Page 258 -- mm.79-88
Page 259 -- mm.89-98
Page 260 -- mm.99-104 then PULSE CONTINUES WITHOUT BARLINES for mm.105-106
Page 261 -- mm.107-111
Page 262 -- mm.112-116
Page 263 -- mm.117-121
Page 264 -- mm.122-124
Page 265 -- mm.125-127
Page 266 -- mm.128-130
Page 267 -- mm.131-133

Then, and I'm not going to include this in this first post (it's way too long), but I've also made an (almost complete) errata for the book. Please understand that I'm really not trying to be malicious with this, or questioning Steve Vai's abilities, or anything like that. Many of the "errors" have to do with ambiguities in the scores, and so I'd like to help those who are confused by them. It's on a song-by-song basis... would it be frowned upon to split it up into different posts, maybe one for each section in the book, or one for each song? I'm afraid it could count as spamming.

Finally, I'm working on a concordance/glossary/index for the book's terms and notations.

I'm also thinking about doing analyses of individual solos; let me know if you're interested, and which ones I should do.

Last edited by animatronicity on 2018-07-28 01:10; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
animatronicity
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-27 20:32   [Quote] 
I figured that I'd give an example of one of the errata. If you disagree with anything here please let me know.

five-five-FIVE

* p. 10, system 1, measure 2
Error/correction: This measure should be identical to the first one.

* p. 11, system 2, measure 1
Error/correction: The last eighth note shouldn't be present; the D should be a quarter note tied to the whole note.

* p. 11, system 7 & 8, throughout
Error/correction: Every E should be flattened.

* p. 11, system 8, last measure
Error/correction: I'm not too sure of the presence of the F. I think the next phrase would be played totally on the E string (that's how I play it, at least), so how would the F get here?
Error/correction: A 4:3 eighth note seems too short for the last D.

* p. 12, system 2, measure 1
Addition: There should be a grace note C# before the second eighth note of beat four.

* p. 12, system 4, measure 1
Error/correction: The last D (heavily syncopated measure; technically this note lands on the second eighth note of beat four, and the 6th note in the measure overall) should be an F. So it would be a slide from F to A, and not from D to A.

* p. 12, system 5, last measure
Addition: Instead of a dotted quarter note, it should be a normal quarter note and then an eighth note G.

* p. 12, system 6, measure 1
Error/correction: The first G should be an A.

* p. 12, system 6, measure 1
Error/correction: That D before the last eighth note is pretty much inaudible. This measure's rhythm is suspect as well.

* p. 12, system 8, measure 1
Error/correction: The G should be a G#.

* p. 13, system 1, measure 1
Error/correction: There should be a held Bb at the beginning, probably in place of the first group of sixteenth notes (it would be a dotted quarter note in this case).

* p. 13, system 2, measure 2
Error/correction: The first quarter note should probably be a Bb.

* p. 13, system 2, last measure
Error/correction: The first eighth note (Eb) should be replaced with a G-C sixteenth note group as in the measures at the top of the page.

* p. 13, system 3, measure 1
Error/correction: I'm not too confident in the last note being an Eb, instead of a D as before.

* p. 13, system 3, last measure & system 4, measure 1
Error/correction: There is definitely something else besides that C. Possibly the open D string interfering?

* p. 13, system 4, measure 2
Error/correction: the half note D should be tied to the eighth note and dotted-quarter D. An oversight either by the copyist or Steve.

* p. 13, system 7, measure 1
Error/correction: I am not hearing those E's as written. I think that it's just three quarter notes of E, instead of a quarter note, two eighth notes, and then a quarter note.

* p. 14, system 1, measure 2
Error/correction: The G probably stops at the start of this measure. At least it gets very quiet/buried. There might even be more re-articulated G's in there, too.

* p. 14, system 4, measure 1
Error/correction: The rhythm of these first two notes is suspect.

* p. 14, system 4, measures 2 & 3 all the way to system 6, start of measure 2
Error/correction: One of the most obvious and glaring errors in the entire book: the long sustained note is a B. Not a D. Copyist's mistake, most likely.

* p. 15, system 2, measure 1
Error/correction: I don't think the slide after the E natural should be there.

* p. 15, system 3, measure 1
Error/correction: The first E should be marked as Eb.

* p. 15, system 3, measure 2
Error/correction: The E should be flat.

* p. 16, system 2, measure 1
Error/correction: All B's should be flat.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-27 21:19   [Quote] 
Quote:
Then, I have a full comparison of the drumming in While You Were Out, Stucco Homes, Outside Now, and He Used To Cut The Grass:

It's been noted before that all four of those songs share parts of the same drum track. The drum parts to all of them originate from the same recording, the exact source of which is unknown, though I'd assume that it comes from a recording of Outside Now, as a lot of it is in 11. Apparently it is from a live recording... could it be from Graz, Austria, 1979?

Based on the sound quality, I think the drum track is from the studio. The guitar solo in He Used To Cut The Grass is the one generally thought to be from Graz.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
animatronicity
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-27 21:25   [Quote] 
You know, I've always thought it was a studio drum track, but there are like three interviews (I'll find them in a bit; I know at least one is from Warren) that specifically say the drums are from a live recording. They could of course be wrong.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
animatronicity
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-27 21:30   [Quote] 
Quote:
Here's a flashback to the beginning. An overnight basement (pre UMRK) studio session with frank and engineer Steve Nye led to this beautiful recording. Initially i was playing over the solo vamp of 'inca roads' Frank took the guitar track i recorded and laid it over a track of Vinnie's from another tune. (Can't recall which one, but all of the basic tracks were from live mobile recordings from the '79 european tour) Frank improvised sitting at the desk, playing an Acoustic (brand) 'black widow' guitar. i'd never seen or heard of one before. I was playing an unusual guitar as well. Frank's vox winchester (the mp 'words' video tiny gtr) which he decided should be my payment for the session cos it was the perfect size for me & he said it looked like it should be sewn right into my jacket! Anyway, frank blew this down in one take, no punches. what a night! Frank zappa is the greatest thing that ever happened to music! P e r i o d!óWC

From the IINK notes and comments on Stucco Homes.

Still not too sure, actually.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-27 21:52   [Quote] 
Maybe Warren originally played over a live track for something that wasn't released, before he and FZ did the SH/WYWO jam over Vinnie's studio track. (Or he may have just been mixed up.)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2018-07-27 23:36   [Quote] 
I really don't understand it, but this is the kinda stuff that blows my mind. Bravo!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
animatronicity
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-28 01:36   [Quote] 
Here are errata for Hog Heaven and Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar (Some More). Oh, and if you don't know what "system" means, it's essentially one line of music. So in SUNPYG, for example, each system consists (until the last pages) of two staves, one guitar and one drums, and there are five systems per page.

Hog Heaven:

* p. 17, system 6, measure 2 (and possibly measure 1)
Error/correction: The G's should be sharp. In the first measure of this system, there are a lot of bends, and it's hard to tell exactly what notes they start at, so the second grace note might be sharp as well.

* p. 22, system 3, measure 2
Error/correction: The C's and A's should be marked natural.

Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar:

(This tune is usually known as Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More; the names have gotten switched somewhere.)

* p. 23, system 1, pickup measure
Error/correction: Listening to the version of this tune officially released, this measure is innacurate, as the first sixteenth note in the quintuplet isn't present. But listening to the version available on Warts 'n All (or the full concert), it's present. In fact, as we'll see later, this transcription is actually of the Wart's 'n All/"full" version.

* p. 23, system 1, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: On the third beat, there shouldn't be a hi-hat with the snare. The second eighth note of the third beat *is* a hi-hat, however.

* p. 23, system 1, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: On the fourth beat, the second sixteenth note hi-hat isn't there.

* p. 23, system 2, measure 2, guitar part
Question: It says "senza vibr." but still has a vibrato squiggly line under it. This is just confusing.

* p. 23, system 2, measure 3, guitar part
Error/correction: In the third and fourth beat, the C's should be B's.

* p. 23, system 3, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The E's in this measure should be D's.

Drum part:
Error/correction: No bass drum on second eigth of beat one or first eigth of beat two. Also, add bass drum on first eighth of beat four.

* p. 23, system 3, measure 2, guitar part
Error/correction: There's another E between the third and fourth beat.

* p. 23, system 4, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: I can't hear the lower feedback (D) on the third beat.
Error/correction: The higher feedback part isn't a G as written, but instead a B (same octave).

Drum part:
Addition: Add sixteenth note hi-hat to end of beat one.

* p. 23, system 4, measure 2, guitar part
Error/correction: The feedback should be B instead of G.
Error/correction: The last slide here isn't correct. Not entirely sure how I would write it, though.

* p. 24, system 1, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The feedback should be B instead of G.

Drum part:
Addition: Add two hi-hat sixteenth notes to the start of beat one.
Addition: Add bass drum to first sixteenth note of last beat and last eighth note.

* p. 24, system 1, measure 2, drum part
Addition: Add bass drum on second eighth note of first beat.

* p. 24, system 2, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: According to the notation, the F# lands on the second eighth note of beat three, coinciding with the open hi-hat in the drums, when in fact, they do not coincide. The guitar note happens a fair amount later. This calls into question the rhythm of the entire second half of this bar... not sure about corrections though, for now.

Drum part:
Error/correction: Hi-hat on third sixteenth of beat two should be marked half-open (and immediately closed).
Error/correction: Remove second bass drum (second eighth note of beat one).
Error/correction: The last beat is mostly incorrect, except for the hi-hat. The toms happen on the second eighth note and are just sixteenth notes.

* p. 24, system 3, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: Remove tom from the second eighth note of beat one and the second eighth note of beat four.

+ p. 24, system 3, measure 2, guitar part
Addition: Add an F# before the G (second note overall, not including the grace note).
Error/correction: The first of the two thirty-second notes before beat four is written as though it were F-3/4#, when in fact it's just F#.

+ p. 24, system 4, measure 1, guitar part
Addition: There's another D between beats three and four.

* p. 24, system 5, measure 1, drum part
Addition: Add sixteenth note bass drum to beat two.
Error/correction: Remove bass drum from the last eighth note of the measure.

* p. 24, system 5, measure 2
Guitar part:
Addition: The sustained G is actually rearticulated around beat three.
Error/correction: The last four notes aren't really correct. Once I figure out what they are, I'll add it to this post.

Drum part:
Addition: Add two bass drum sixteenth notes before beat three.

+ p. 25, system 1, measure 2, drum part
Addition: Add another bass drum between beats two and three. It's like a swung sixteenth note.

+ p. 25, system 2, measure 1, drum part
Addition: There's a snare roll going on for the first two beats.
Addition: Also, there's an eighth note bass drum on the second eighth note of beat one and two sixteenth note bass drums on the second eighth note of beat two.

* p. 25, system 2, measure 2, drum part
Addition: Add bass drum on fourth sixteenth note of beat one, and another bass drum on the fourth sixteenth note of beat two.
Error/correction: Beat four is mostly wrong. It reads: (all sixteenths) hi-hat/hi-hat/bass drum/bass drum; it *should* be an eigth note hi-hat with a grace note (percussionists: can I call it a hi-hat flam?), then a sixteenth note hi-hat, then a sixteenth note bass drum.

* p. 25, system 3, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: Feedback is B instead of E (it's the B below that E).

Drum part:
Error/correction: Remove hi-hat from second eighth note of beat two (the one with the snare flam).
Error/correction: Remove bass drum from first sixteenth note of beat three.

* p. 25, system 3, measure 2
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The first eighth note's C should be a D.
Addition: I'd add a grace note G before the F# in the second eighth note.

Drum part: Remove ride cymbals from first and second sixteenth notes of beat three (so it's a snare eighth note and then a ride eighth note).

* p. 25, system 4, measure 1, guitar part:
Addition: The first notes of the next phrase actually start on the last beat of this measure. Instead of just the semi-muted F-naturals, there should be a D (probably with some extra semi-muted notes) sliding into the first C of the next measure.

* p. 25, system 4, measure 2, guitar part:
Error/correction: There should be a courtesy accidental on the first F to show that it's sharp.

* p. 25, system 5. measure 1, drum part:
Addition: Add bass drum to second sixteenth note of beat four.

* p. 26, system 1, measure 1, drum part:
Addition: I'm hearing some quiet, syncopated snare drum ghosting around here. Anyone else?
Error/correction: The second eighth note of the beat four should have a bass drum instead of a snare drum (keeping the ride cymbal)

* p. 26, system 1, measure 2
Guitar part:
Error/correction: No matter what, I am not hearing any of the feedback as it's written. I'm hearing a single, high B around the third beat.
Addition: There's a short little B3 before the second eighth note of beat three, so I'd add that.

Drum part:
Error/correction: Remove bass drum from the second sixteenth note of beat four.
Addition: Add bass drum to first and third sixteenth note of beat four.

* p. 26, system 2, measure 1, drum part:
Error/correction: Remove bass drum from the first sixteenth note (ride cymbal stays).
Error/correction: Cymbal on second eighth note of beat three is a crash cymbal instead of a ride cymbal (CRASH is only indicated for the last eighth note in this measure, so we'd assume this one to be a ride cymbal).
Error/correction: Remove cymbal from first sixteenth note of beat four.

* p. 26, system 2, measure 2
Guitar part:
Addition: There's a G before the second beat's F#.
Error/correction: I'm not too sure about the D at the end of the second beat...

Drum part:
Error/correction: First eighth note has a crash symbol instead of an (indicated) ride cymbal. The remaining eighth notes are ride cymbals. There might be a ride hit along with the crash, too.

* p. 26, system 3, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: Remove bass drum from first eighth note?
Error/correction: Only the first cymbal is a crash cymbal, despite the notation making it appear as though all cymbals in the measure are crashes. As I've said, the most perplexing part of this entire book is that he uses one line for both crash and ride cymbals.
Error/correction: Remove the bass drums from the third sixeenth note of beat one and the first eighth note of beat two.
Addition: Add a bass drum sixteenth to the end of beat two.
Addition: Add a bass drum to the first eighth note of beat four.

* p. 26, system 3, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction/addition: The first beat is mostly wrong. Describing this through text is sort of difficult, but I'll try. First of all, the cymbal is a crash cymbal. While interpreting the score strictly it would be a crash cymbal based on the most recent marking, the cymbals before it are rides, as noted in the previous entry; therefore, it should be indicated as a crash cymbal. Now we divide the two eighth notes of beat one into two sixteenth note triplets. The rhythm within the first triplet is an eighth note followed by a sixteenth note. The eighth note is taken by a bass drum and the crash cymbal; the sixteenth note is a snare drum. Then the remaining three sixteenth notes are all snare drums, with the last being accented.
Error/correction: Remove the snare drum from the first eighth note of beat two.
Addition: Add bass drum sixteenth to the end of beat two.
Addition: Add bass drum to first eighth note of beat four.

* p. 26, system 4, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The slide starts on B, not C.
Error/correction: There are two different notes for the feedback written here: first a high C, then the G below that. I do not hear the G feedback. The C feedback is correct, although the C is pretty flat.

Drum part:
Error/correction/addition: First, I believe that the first cymbal, on the second eighth note of beat one, is a ride instead of a hi-hat. I also think that the cymbal on the third sixteenth note of beat two is a (closed, tapped) hi-hat instead of a ride; similarly, I think that the hi-hat on the first sixteenth note of beat four is a ride. Add a (closed, tapped) hi-hat (or, if I'm wrong and the cymbal on the third sixteenth note of beat two is actually a ride cymbal, then add a ride cymbal) to the first sixteenth note of beat three. Remove the cymbals from the third sixteenth note of the third beat, and the third sixteenth note of the fourth beat.

* p. 26, system 4, measure 2, drum part
Addition: Add sixteenth note bass drum to end of beat two. There might also be a bass drum on the first eighth note of beat two, as well.

* p. 26, system 5, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction/addition: Remove bass drum from the third sixteenth note of beat one. Remove snare drum from the fourth sixteenth note of beat one, and have a bass drum in it's place. To me it doesn't sound like there's anything happening on the first eighth note of beat two, so I'd remove both the bass drum and the cymbal (i.e. everything) from there. Further, remove the bass drum from the second eighth note of beat three. I think there's some snare drum ghosting around the second eighth note of beat two and beat three, as well.

* p. 27, system 1, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: The cymbals should be indicated as ride from the second eighth note of beat one onwards.
Error/correction: What's written as a ride cymbal with a dotted tie/slur is undoubtedly an open hi-hat.

* p. 27, system 2, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: There should be another D after the E and before the D octave of the next measure.

Drum part:
Error/correction: I'm not hearing the bass drum on the first eighth note of beat two.
Error/correction: I don't think there's a ride cymbal on the third sixteenth note of beat three. I also don't think that what's indicated to be a crash cymbal is actually a crash cymbal, but rather the bell of the ride cymbal. Finally, I think that the ride bell (what's written as a crash cymbal) doesn't come in on the fourth sixteenth of the third beat, but on the second eighth note.

* p. 27, system 2, measure 2
Guitar part:
Error/correction: I think the D octave is just a D with an emphasized second harmonic. Partly because of playability issues (try playing an octave that cleanly with a pick) and because it's a more subtle effect than an actual octave. Of course, Steve might have known that and chose to write it like this.

* p. 27, system 3, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: There seems to be one D-G too many here. Not sure how to fix it, though.
Addition: I think the last triplet group in this measure, A-D, should actually be A-D-D.

Drum part:
Error/correction: I'm pretty sure the cymbal on the second eighth note of beat one (NOT the hi-hat) should be indicated as a ride cymbal, as should the cymbal on the fourth sixteenth of beat three. The cymbal on the second eighth note of beat four IS a crash cymbal, though.
Addition: There should be a hi-hat flam (again: is this correct terminology?) on the first eighth note of beat two.
Error/correction: I don't think the toms on the first two sixteenths of beat three are really there.

* p. 27, system 3, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: I believe that all cymbals in this measure, barring the first (maybe), are hi-hats instead of rides.
Addition: Add bass drum sixteenth note to the end of beat two.
Addition: There should be a hi-hat flam on the first sixteenth of beat four.

* p. 27, system 4, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction/addition: Beat two is mostly incorrect. It should be (all sixteenth notes): ride ride+bass ride bass.

* p. 27, system 4, measure 2
Guitar part:
Error/correction: I don't think that the second D sixteenth note in beat four is actually there. At least, *I* can't hear it.

Drum part:
Addition: Perhaps there should be a bass drum along with the ride cymbal on the first eighth note of beat four.

* p. 27, system 5, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction/addition: There's another B before the first one in the 5:3 quintuplet (which technically starts on the second eighth note of beat three). Also, the 5:3 doesn't line up with the drums the way it does in the recording.

Drum part:
Addition: There should be a crash cymbal along with the snare on the second eighth note of beat three. Further, that snare is not tremoloed (trembled? rolled? tremolerebbe?).
Error/correction/addition: I'd write the last beat as four sixteenths, each with a snare drum (no bass drum anywhere), with a hi-hat on the first sixteenth.

* p. 27, system 5, measure 2
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The rhythm in this measure doesn't really check out. The drums' fourth beat's cymbals come in way before the G of the guitar's "fourth beat." I'd say it's probably some long extended polyrhythm starting with and including the last five notes of the previous measure.

Drum part:
Addition: Add a bass drum sixteenth to the end of beat two.

* p. 28, system 1, measure 1
Guitar part:
Question: What does "tiny" mean, here? It's in the glossary, currently without a definition. To me, that D sounds like any other note we've heard so far.
Addition: The second beat reads (eighth notes) E-F#. I say it should be E-F#-G, with the last two notes being sixteenth notes. Then, the third beat should start with the two sixteenth notes F#-G, without a grace note.
Error/correction: The second eighth note of beat four is divided into a sixteenth note triplet, having the notes E-D-E. I don't at all hear that first E, and I think it should be replaced by a rest.
Error/correction: The final note of this measure, the third note of the sixteenth note triplet of the second eighth note of beat four, E, should be F#.

Drum part:
Addition: The second eighth note of beat four has a snare drum flam.

* p. 28, system 1, measure 2
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The first eighth note of beat four is actually B natural, instead of Bb. Maybe a sharp Bb.

Drum part:
Addition: There should be a ride cymbal flam on the third sixteenth note of beat one.
Error/correction: The fourth sixteenth note of beat one and the first eighth note of beat two should both be closed hi-hats instead of ride cymbals. Also, I think the ride cymbal is played simultaneously with the hi-hat in this measure.
Addition: Add a bass drum sixteenth note to the end of beat two.
Addition: There's either a quiet flam, a grace note bass drum, or otherwise the snare on the first eighth note of beat three is late.
Error/correction: The tremolo (and the crescendo) should be applied to the snare on beat four instead of the last eighth note of beat three.

* p. 28, system 2, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: The fourth sixteenth note of beat three is not a snare drum, but a bass drum.
Error/correction: The cymbal "choke" at the end of the measure sounds to me more like a quickly closed hi-hat, as heard earlier in the same measure. Also, the presence of the bass drum underneath this cymbal is dubious.

* p. 28, system 2, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: All cymbals in this bar, except for in beat one and maybe the first eighth note of beat three, are hi-hats instead of rides as indicated.
Addition: Add a bass drum sixteenth note to the end of beat two.

* p. 28, system 3, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: Instead of a snare drum on the first sixteenth note of beat two, it's a bass drum. On the (eighth note) second sixteenth note of beat two, there's a snare drum instead of a bass drum.

* p. 28, system 3, measure 2, guitar part
Error/correction/question: So starting on the second beat, Steve Vai has writen the indication SWING. I am aware of what this usually means. If there is a single person on this forum who listens to this passage and gets a "swing" feeling from it, I'd be surprised. The sixteenths aren't swung, and there aren't any eighth notes TO swing. Even if it was supposed to apply to the drums in addition to/instead of the guitar, it still doesn't work, because I am definitely not hearing any swinging going on in the drum part.
Error/correction: The guitar transcription is mostly incorrect in this and the following measure. I'll probably eventually transcribe this part myself.

* p. 28, system 4, measure 2
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The D should probably be marked quarter-sharp. Also, the feedback is B, not C.

* p. 28, system 5, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction/addition: The measure ends with triplet sixteenth notes, all said to be roto-toms. Regardless of anything else, there's a bass drum on that first sixteenth note. There might be a tom along with it, but if there is, it's very quiet.

* p. 28, system 5, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: I don't think there is a roto-tom along with the bass drum and cymbal on the first eighth note of the first beat, as it says.
Error/correction/addition: The last two beats in this measure are dubious. Firstly, there is no cymbal on the fourth sixteenth note of the third beat. Then, the rhythm of the third beat is legitimately incorrect: a double-dotted eighth note lasts for seven thirty-second notes, and not for six (or three sixteenth notes) as the notation implies. This is actually a common mistake (double dot followed by two notes, which *technically* span nine notes, although the intent is clear), though it's most often seen in earlier music. Therefore, the eighth note should be singly-dotted. Anyway, the first of the two thirty-second notes before beat four is written as a snare when in fact it's a bass drum. Then, I don't think the next thirty-second note, a tom, should be tied/slurred to the tremolo/roll on the fourth beat. Further, the bass drum on the second sixteenth note of beat four shouldn't be there, along with the cymbal on the fourth sixteenth note of the fourth beat.

* p. 29, system 1, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The rhythm in the fourth beat is suspect. I think that the first two notes (G and G) should be an eighth note and a sixteenth note, respectively, inside of a sixteenth note triplet, and then the G-F# should be regular sixteenth notes.

Drum part:
Error/correction: I don't think that the tom-tom sixteenth note triplet on the second eighth note of the fourth beat actually is a triplet. I think it's just two sixteenth notes.

* p. 29, system 2, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: Change the first sixteenth note of beat two into an eighth note (getting rid of the second sixteenth note of that beat in the process).
Error/correction/addition: Remove the bass drum from the second eighth note of beat two and replace it with a ride cymbal. Then change that eighth note into a sixteenth note, and for the remaining fourth sixteenth note, add a bass drum.
Addition: Add cymbals (I think they're hi-hats, but they could be rides too) to the beginning of beat three, and to the first and second (AKA third sixteenth note) eighth notes of beat four.

* p. 29, system 3, measure 2
Guitar part:
Addition: Add another C after the A and before the C (in the sixteenth note triplet) in beat four.

Drum part:
Error/correction: Change the snare drums on the first two sixteenth notes of beat four to bass drums. Also, either the third sixteenth note is just a snare, or a bass drum with a snare.

* p. 29, system 4, measure 1, guitar part
Error/correction: The feedback is B, instead of C.
Error/correction: There's a G# before the A in beat two... maybe it's a harmonic but it's definitely there.

* p. 29, system 4, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: I think at least some of the cymbals in this measure are hi-hats, not all rides as they're indicated.
Addition: On the first eighth note of the third beat, there is a cymbal with the snare; it's just quiet.
Addition: There's a quiet bass drum right before the beginning of the next measure.

* p. 29, system 5, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The feedback should be B in place of C.

Drum part:
Error/correction: The third sixteenth note of the first beat should have, in addition to the two toms (I'm not too sure if there are actually two, though I'm not sure enough to add it here), a bass drum.
Error/correction: Remove the bass drum from the fourth sixteenth note of beat one, leaving the snare drum and cymbal.
Error/correction: I'm pretty sure that all cymbals, except for the one on the fourth sixteenth note of beat four, are hi-hats, instead of rides. The fourth sixteenth note of the fourth beat IS a ride cymbal.
Error/correction: I don't know where the thirty-second note tom fill in the second beat comes from, but the most I hear is *maybe* a flammed note then sixteenths?
Error/correction: The higher toms in the fourth beat should probably be lower toms as in the third beat.

* p. 29, system 5, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: Add cymbal to the second eighth note of beat one. It's a ride cymbal, as is every other cymbal in this measure, barring beat three.
Error/correction: I'm pretty sure the cymbal on beat three is a hi-hat, not a ride (or crash).

* p. 30, system 1, both measures, drum part
Error/correction: At least *some* of the cymbols are hi-hats instead of rides. Maybe ride and hi-hat at the same time? Also, some of the cymbals are definitely flammed.

* p. 30, system 1, measure 2
Guitar part:
Addition: There's another B before the one on the first eighth note of beat four.
Error/correction: The last beat's sixteenth note triplet doesn't make a lot of sense, compared to the recording. I definitely don't hear a trace of the B octave or that that note is accented.

Drum part:
Error/correction: Add cymbal (hi-hat or ride) to the first (triplet) eighth note of the third beat.
Addition: Add another cymbal between the second and third eighth notes of the third beat.

* p. 30, system 2, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The notation of beat one (sixteenth note slurred to another sixteenth note slurred to an eighth note) would definitely make one assume that it was signifying a bend, but upon listening to the recording, it's clearly a slide/glissando.

Drum part:
Addition: There's a little cymbal fill at the end of beat two and to the beginning of beat three -- in time with the guitar's A-C from the second beat. Therefore, the rhythmic notation is incorrect for at least one of the two parts.
Error/correction: I don't really hear the final thirty-second note tom fill...
Error/correction: The last cymbal (which might occur at the start of the next measure instead of the end of this one) is a crash cymbal.

* p. 30, system 2, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: Add a snare drum to beat three.

* p. 30, system 3, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: I'm not really hearing the feedback at all here...
Error/correction: From here up to (not including) the last measure of the fifth system on this page, the guitar is written an octave lower than it sounds. The only exception is found in the next measure: the second eighth note of the fourth beat, a (sounding) B5, would be way too high if taken an octave higher than written.
Addition: There's two E's not written here. They occur somewhere around the end of beat three. The first one has a short D grace note.

Drum part:
Error/correction: The final two beats' cymbal roll definitely has more than just a ride cymbal in it.
Addition: There's a snare drum somewhere between the last beat of this measure and the first beat of the next one.

* p. 30, system 4, measure 2
Guitar part:
Addition: There's another note after the A quarter note and before the A eighth note in the second quarter note triplet. It's an A with the G under it (maybe).

Drum part:
Error/correction: Add bass drum to first eighth note of beat four.

* p. 30, system 5, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: I am really not hearing the "harmonic feedback." I think it's another instrument in the band.
Error/correction: Remove the tie between the F# on the second eighth note of beat one and the half note F#. The note is clearly rearticulated; I might place an accent mark on the half note F#. Perhaps it was meant to be a slur.

Drum part:
Addition: Add a sixteenth note bass drum to the end of beat two.
Error/correction/addition: The third and fourth beats are mostly incorrect. It should be (starting with a clean slate): four thirty-second note snares, eighth note bass drum+crash, sixteenth note rest, sixteenth note bass drum, four thirty-second note snares.

* p. 30, system 5, measure 2, guitar part
Addition: There's a rake at the start of this measure. A lot of times in transcriptions these aren't written in, but Steve Vai usually does in this book.
Addition: There's a C between the A and G in the fourth beat.

* p. 31, system 1, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: Every F# in this measure is actually an E.
Addition: Between the end of the first triplet and the first note of the second triplet, there's a G.

Drum part:
Error/correction: The snare drum on the first beat should have an X-shaped note head and probably the text "RIM" with an arrow pointing to it.
Error/correction: Remove snare drum from last eighth note of the measure; replace it with bass drum.

* p. 31, system 2, measure 1, guitar part
Addition: There are C's between the second A in the second triplet and the following G, and between the last A and the following G (which is tied to the next measure).

* p. 31, system 2, measure 2, guitar part
Addition: Between the first E and the immediately following D there's a G.

* p. 31, system 3, measure 1, drum part

Error/correction: I would not write the snare drum fill as it is here. I would actually write out the rhythms, because it's definitely not a simple roll. It sounds like three regular sixteenth notes followed by three triplet sixteenth notes, or something. There's a cymbal in there, too.

* p. 31, system 4, measure 1, guitar part
Error/correction: The feedback occurs essentially simultaneously with the "rub hand on neck," rather than after.

* p. 31, system 4, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: Add snare drum to first eighth note of beat three.

* p. 31, system 5, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction/addition: I'm not hearing the "sticks" sixteenth notes in beat two. Also, there are low toms throughout this measure, where bass drums and snare drums have been written.

* p. 31, system 5, measure 2,
Guitar part:
Addition: I'd add a "rub hand on neck" notation around beat three.

Drum part
Error/correction: The snare roll on the last eighth note of the measure is just three triplet sixteenth notes.

* p. 32, system 1, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: Add bass drum to first eight note of beat two and the second eighth note of beat three.
Error/correction: Replace bass drum on the first eighth note of beat three with snare drum.

* p. 32, system 2, measure 1, drum part
Question: The first sixteenth note of beat three is probably a snare drum, as is written, though it sounds a bit higher than the ensuing snares. I'm assuming that's just because of how/where the drum is hit, correct?

* p. 33, system 1, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: I think the feedback might be in the wrong octave.

Drum part:
Error/correction: The second quarter note in the second triplet (fifth triplet quarter note overall) has a crash cymbal, not a ride cymbal as would be assumed. Then, the next cymbal is a ride cymbal.

* p. 33, system 1, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: Remove the snare drum from beat 1.
Addition: Add ride cymbal in place of eighth note rest on beat two.
Error/correction: From beat three until like the first measure of the third system, everything that's written as a closed or half-open hi-hat is actually a ride cymbal.

* p. 33, system 2, measure 1, drum part
Addition: Add bass drum to second sixteenth note of first beat.
Error/correction: Remove bass drum from second eighth note of first beat.
Error/correction/addition: Either the drum part's or the guitar part's rhythm is wrong, as the first B in the guitar part coincides with a snare in the drums, but the first snare is written to come after the B. Not sure what the correct version would be, though.

* p. 33, system 3, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: I'm pretty sure that what's written as a crash cymbal on the third sixteenth note of beat one is actually an open hi-hat.
Error/correction/addition: From this point until the end of the page, the cymbals are mostly incorrect. Based on the indications alone, most would be crash cymbals, when in fact they're ride cymbals, and some are hi-hats.s

* p. 34, system 1, measure 1
Guitar part:
Addition: I think a "rub hand on neck" notation should go with the first eighth note in the measure. Also, what does "on strings" qualify here?

Drum part:
Error/correction/addition: From here until the first measure of the last system on this page, the drum part is pretty inaccurate. For one, most of the snare rolls stop when the cymbals+bass drums happen. Further pretty much every ride cymbal is actually a hi-hat being hit while open or half-open and quickly closed. In the second measure of the second system, I'm really not sure where that rhythm comes from.

* p. 34, system 5, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: Once again, there is a "SWING" indication. Once again, I hear no swing.

Drum part:
Error/correction: The cymbal on beat one would probably be assumed to be a ride cymbal; it's a crash cymbal.
Error/correction: The cymbal on beat three is actually an open hi-hat, which is then closed a little later. Also, between beats three and four, there is a ride cymbal hit, and then some cymbal swishing (proper terminology?).

* p. 34, system 5, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: The last two beats are taken by seven notes, but they're not evenly spaced. They slow down. One could write this with a feathered beam, perhaps.

* p. 35, system 1, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: There are definitely cymbals being played throughout the first two beats, but the score only has snare drums.

* p. 35, system 3, measure 1, guitar part
Addition: After the F# at the end of the second beat, there's an extra, metallic, "semi-muted" low A string that isn't written.
Addition: On the final triplet sixteenth notes A-G-F#, I think that the G string interferes for a bit.

* p. 35, system 3, measure 2
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The sixteenth note triplet G on the second eighth note of the first beat should be a D (above it).

Drum part:
Error/correction: The first eighth note of the third beat also has a flammed snare drum, in addition to the cymbal and bass drum.

* p. 35, system 4, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: Cymbals in this measure are ride, but the most recent indication is "CRASH."
Error/correction: On the fourth sixteenth note of beat two, add a cymbal along with the bass drum.
Error/correction: Firstly, both of the ending sextuplets are actually quintuplets. Then, the second group of quintuplets aren't snare drums, but low toms instead.

* p. 35, system 5, measure 1, guitar part
Note: Yet again, we have a "SWING" marking. However, in this case... I mean you can kinda hear a swing rhythm in the guitar part. But that would be covered by the rhythmic notation already; perhaps the "SWING" indication is just to signify this?
Error/correction/addition: I legitimately don't think I can convey this well enough through text, so I'll probably add a picture of the corrected measure at some point. For now, try to decipher this (I won't specify rhythms): The second eighth note of the first beat is split into three triplet sixteenths, which go in the book as E-D-B. Replace this with the four notes E-D#-Dnat-B. The following D's in the second beat are natural. The third beat is split into a sixteenth note quintuplet, the last two sixteenth notes of which are D-B. Their space should be taken by the *three* notes D#-Dnat-B; the D's in the fourth beat are natural. See the next measure for more.

* p. 35, system 5, measure 2
Guitar part:
Error/correction/addition: The first beat should be taken by the following notes: E-E-D#-C(nat)-B.

Drum part:
Error/correction/addition: I'm not sure if the rolls/tremoli in the second, third, and fourth beat are supposed to be an abbreviation for more than just repeated notes, but it's impossible to play them as written. The hi-hats could be done with the foot, of course, along with the bass drum, but playing two toms (rolls, no less) AND the snare at the same time is just obviously impossible as long as the drummer doesn't have three hands. It's just a fancy fill with all the drums.

* p. 36, system 1, measure 1, guitar part
Note: We're "SWING"ing again!
Addition: There's an additional A between beats three and four.

* p. 36, system 2, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The D in the sixteenth note triplet on the second eighth note of beat one should be sharp. The rest in this measure aren't.

Drum part:
Error/correction: The first cymbal on the first beat is a crash cymbal; the most recent indication *would* actually imply that, but the majority of the previous cymbals are (unmarked) ride cymbals. The remainder of this measure uses ride cymbals.
Addition: Add a (ride) cymbal eighth note to the end of beat 1.

* p. 36, system 2, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction/addition: There are two groupings of sixteenth note-dotted eigth note: one on beat two, and another on beat three. They *should* be groupings of two sixteenth notes and one eighth note, with the first sixteenth notes being ride cymbals and the eighth note being a ride cymbal and a bass drum.

* p. 36, system 3, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: The first cymbal in this measure is a crash cymbal; the rest are cymbals.

* p. 36, system 3, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction/addition: These fills involve more than just the snare an low tom.

* p. 36, system 4, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: The first cymbal is a crash cymbal. The next (first eighth note of beat two) is a ride cymbal. The cymbal on beat three is an open (half-open?) hi-hat. Then the final two cymbals (both eighth notes of beat four) are ride cymbals.

* p. 36, system 5, measure 2
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The E on the last sixteenth note of beat three should be marked "feedback," have a diamond notehead, and be written to sound and octave higher.

Drum part:
Error/correction/addition: The last sixteenth note of the third beat should be a bass drum, not a cymbal. Then, the first sixteenth note of the fourth beat should have a ride cymbal instead of a rest. Next, remove the ride cymbal from the second sixteenth note of the fourth beat. Finally, remove the snare drum from the last sixteenth note of beat four.

* p. 37, system 3, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: The rest of the cymbals after the first beat, up to the last beat of the next measure, are ride cymbals, not crash cymbals.

* p. 37, system 3, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: Cymbals from the fourth beat of this measure onwards (until the fifth system of this page) are crash cymbals.

* p. 37, system 4, measure 1, guitar part
Addition: There's feedback at the beginning of this measure that isn't written in.

* p. 37, system 5, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: The cymbals go back from crash to ride on the second cymbal of beat two (third eighth note of the triplet).

* p. 38, system 1, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction/question: On the fifth sixteenth note of the first beat's sixteenth note quintuplet, the notehead is shared with the first of a pair of grace notes. I've seen this notation in contemporary scores, but without clarification, it's hard to decide what it means. Also, the notehead shape is slightly ambiguous. The second grace note could be a square or a normal notehead.

Drum part:
Error/correction: Cymbals go from crash to ride on the last cymbal of the first beat (on the third eighth note of beat one's triplet).

* p. 38, system 2, measure 1, guitar part:
Error/correction/question: What does the "o" below the fourth beat's G mean in this context? I don't hear a difference, personally.

* p. 38, system 2, measure 2, drum part:
Error/correction: Throughout this page, the cymbals should be indicated crash or ride too many times to list.

* p. 38, system 5, both measures, drum part:
Error/correction/addition: There are several toms missing from these fills.

* p. 40, system 1, measure 1, guitar part
Error/correction/question: Should the feedback be marked 8va?

* p. 40, system 4, measure 1, guitar part
Error/correction/question: I don't have an electric guitar, so I'm not as familiar with it as I'd like to be, but is the chord on the last eighth note of the measure (A-D-F#, tied into the next measure) really correct? It sounds brighter/larger than the A-D-G-B before it, to me.

* p. 40, system 4, measure 2, guitar part
Error/correction/question: I believe that this measure is missing a downward slide of some kind after the first beat.

* p. 41, system 1, measure 2, drum part
Addition: Add a snare drum sixteenth note to the end of beat four.

* p. 41, system 3, measure 2, guitar part
Error/correction/question: It seems to me that the third chord, starting on the second eighth note of the second beat, is different from the one before it, though they're written as the same. Can they really sound so different because of articulation?

* p. 42, system 1, measure 1
Note: The recording ends after this measure. Since the recordings we have of the remainder of the tune are too low-quality to really compare with the transcription, I'll stop here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vmq6695
australia.gif
Post 2018-07-28 05:09   [Quote] 
Superb work, animatronicity! You're wonderful (and your ears are too)

Going to take me many hours of listening and reading to catch up with you.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
animatronicity
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-28 06:47   [Quote] 
Thanks vmq6695! Here is the remainder of the Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar section of the book:

While You Were Out:

Notes:

Because this tune is so freely played, I won't be giving the rhythm too much of a hard time.

Throughout:
There are far too many instances to individually mention, but many of the F's aren't marked natural when they should be. The only F#'s are found in measures 101 (a single grace note before a G, which is immediately followed by an F-natural), 171, 173, 174, 177, 180, and 184.
If you're wondering why it has that key signature at all, it's probably because it and Stucco Homes were originally the same piece (and originated from the same recording session; for more see IINK notes and comments on Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar), and Stucco Homes' key *does* justify a key signature of one sharp.

* Measure 2, lead guitar
Error/correction: I hear absolutely no trace of the A in the triplet.
Error/correction/addition: The high note, F#, is really a G. Also (and this is how I would personally transcribe this part) I'd have it last for a quarter note (within the triplet), and then have the D as a grace note sliding to the G.

* Measure 4
Lead guitar:
Error/correction: The staccato 7:4 sixteenth note is way too short.

Drums:
Error/correction/addition: The same sextuplet-septuplet fill is found four times across While You Were Out and Stucco Homes, yet it's wriiten correctly only once, in Stucco Homes, measure 161.

* Measure 16, lead guitar
Error/correction: What's written as a bend from G5-D-B-D (a seven fret bend at its peak!) is more like a bend from G-A-B.

* Measure 28, lead guitar
Error/correction/question: The two chords at the end of this measure are written as (bottom to top) G-D-F and G-C-E. But every other time we hear/see this pattern, the first D chord has an A, not a G, on the bottom. It's hard to tell if the chord does in fact have a G or if it's a misprint.

* Measure 31, lead guitar
Error/correction: The quintuplet eighth note is a lot shorter than it may seem, making the first two notes happen faster than intended.

* Measure 51, lead guitar
Error/correction/question: Is the chord on the last quarter note in this measure (tied into the next) really correct? It sounds like there's more dissonance than if it were just an E minor chord.

* Measure 53, lead guitar
Addition: There's a quiet, (semi)-muted note before the third beat that isn't written. Actually there's two, but one of them is very subtle.
Addition: I think there's another note quickly after the second chord on beat three. Maybe just the upper or lower two notes of the chord?
Error/correction: I think that the first eighth note chord in beat four's triplet isn't right; it doesn't sound the same as the previous chord.

* Measure 63, drums
Error/correction: The ride bells aren't indicated as ride cymbals.

* Measure 64, drums
Error/correction: The first cymbal isn't indicated as a crash cymbal; this wouldn't be necessary if the previous measure didn't have ride cymbals (it does).

* Measure 66, drums
Addition: There's a light snare pretty much throughout this entire measure, not just on beat four.

* Measure 96, drums
Error/correction: The word "CRASH" above the first beat is missing the line on the "R," making it look like "CPASH."

* Measure 99, drums
Error/correction: The last note in this measure is an eighth note, but it's lacking a flag in the score. Like just an oversight by the copyist.

* Measure 107, drums
Error/correction: Here we see the sextuplet-septuplet figure, first seen in measure 4, again. This time it's *more* correct, in that it has a third snare in the septuplet, but still lacks the flam.

* Measure 118, drums
Note: Here you can see the figure in measure 77, but rewritten. The notations are equivalent (durationally; technically the "feel" would be different)

* Measure 119, drums
Note: You can hear the edit in the crash cymbal at the start of this measure. Neat!

* Measure 125, drums
Addition: The snare starts around the last beat of this measure, instead of the second beat of the next one.

* Measure 142
All:
Addition: Personally, I'd add a ritardando marking at the start of this "measure".

Lead guitar:
Error/correction: The 7:9 rhythm is way too slow for the last grouping.

* Measure 145, lead guitar
Error/correction: Doesn't the first chord (second sixteenth note of beat one) have three notes instead of two?

* Measure 146, lead guitar
Addition: The chords starting on the second eighth note of beat two are wrong. First, I think that the second guitar is playing another chord underneath. And also, the guitar is definitely articulating more than two chords.

* Measure 149, lead guitar
Error/correction: I'm pretty sure that what is written as a thirty-second note octave has more than two notes.
Addition: There are five repetitions of the same chord, as opposed to the three that are written. They also start earlier than they are written.

* Measure 156, lead guitar
Error/correction: The final notes, D3-C5-A4, are definitely not straight thirty-second notes. The D is clearly longer than the other two notes.

* Measure 157, lead guitar
Question: Is the indication "even 8ths" really necessary here?

* Measure 159, second guitar
Error/correction/question: What on earth is the unison grace note "choke" on the lowest string supposed to mean?

* Measure 163, lead guitar
Error/correction: There's a triplet on the last beat, which overlaps with a 13:14(sixteenth notes) rhyhm crossing into the next measure. Now, I've read Tempo Mental; I'm aware of the different ways to interpret these overlapping polyrhythms (there's a great example in He Used To Cut The Grass that I'll talk about). The problem is that no matter what the first note has to coincide with any notes starting at the same time, rhythmically (obviously), and the guitar's D and the drums' bass drum very clearly *don't* coincide. The bass drum comes first. So what was the intention? I don't know.

* Measure 167, drums
Error/correction: Two of the cymbals are marked "CRASH" in this measure, but there's no other marking to cancel out. So I'm assuming that there should be "RIDE" on the other cymbals.

* Measure 171, lead guitar
Question: Why on earth is "natural fade" necessary? Isn't that just how things work?

* Measure 179, lead guitar
Error/correction: It's unclear whether or not the flats carry over from the previous measure onto the next note. The F is the only one marked natural.

* Measure 185, lead guitar
Error/correction: I think the high D has some other (semi-muted) note under it, as in measure 187.

* Measure 187, lead guitar
Error/correction: The top A on the first chord has a square notehead, but as far as I can tell is played completely normally. Perhaps the copyist misread Steve's handwriting?

* Measure 189, lead guitar
Question: Why is "hold chord" here? Is there any other way to interpret/play this measure?

Trecherous Cretins:

(The "BASIC LICK" is counting as system one on page 70.)

* p. 70, system 2, measure 1
Error/correction: Taking this measure at face value, it only has three beats. There are two possibilities: for one, the half note rest could have been intended to be dotted; for two, the triplet isn't 3:2, but 3:4 (eighth notes), which would make the measure work out. I guess there's also a very small chance that it's supposed to be a pickup bar (or anacruscis), but it wouldn't make a lot of sense (why have the rest at all?).

* p. 70, system 4
Error/correction: I'm personally hearing the A near the beginning of this measure as falling on the downbeat, instead of slightly after.

* p. 70, system 5
Error/correction: I don't think the feedback is attacked twice.

* p. 70, system 6, measure 1
Addition: Isn't there some feedback before the C# on the last sixteenth note of beat four?

* p. 70, system 6, measure 2
Error/correction: The F on the second triplet eighth note on beat four is natural, but has no natural sign.

* p. 71, system 6
Error/correction: The big slide in beat four actually apexes at a D, not a C.

* p. 71, system 7
Error/correction: The C's in this measure are sharp, but aren't marked that way.

* p. 73, system 5
Error/correction: All C's in this measure and the next are sharp, despite being unmarked.

* p. 73, system 8
Error/correction: All C's in this measure are sharp.
Addition: There should be another F before the one on beat four.

* p. 74, system 1
Error/correction: All C's in this measure are sharp.

* p. 74, system 2
Error/correction: I don't think that the C(#) in the last three notes is really there. If it is, it'd probably be better written as a grace note.

* p. 74, system 3
Error/correction: The G in the triplet on the third beat is sharp.

* p. 74, system 6
Error/correction: The first G (the last sixteenth note of the quintuplet of beat one) is sharp (not the other ones).

* p. 75, system 1
Error/correction: The rhythm of the third sextuplet shouldn't be sixteenth-eighth-sixteenth-eight; it should be eighth-sixteenth-eighth-sixteenth.

* p. 76, system 3
Error/correction: The D in the first triplet of the measure is quarter-sharp, but the next D, on the last sixteenth note of the first beat, isn't, despite being unmarked.

* p. 76, systems 6-8
Error/correction: There should be an octave sign from the last two thirty-second notes of system six up to (not including) the second eighth note of the second beat of the last system on this page.

* p. 77, system 1
Addition: I would replace the slide into the E on beat two with a grace note D.

* p. 77, system 5
Error/correction: Isn't the E on the in the last sextuplet written an octave higher than it actually is?

* p. 78, system 4
Error/correction/addition: The D tied from the end of the first beat to the first eighth note of the third beat clearly slides up to E.

Heavy Duty Judy:

* p. 82, system 2
Error/correction: I'm not too sure that the slides/glisses in the quadruplet are really there...

* p. 82, system 7
Error/correction: There should be a courtesy sharp sign on the first triplet G (second note in the second triplet), after the high G-natural.

* p. 82, system 8
Error/correction: The note just before the third beat is F#. Then the next note is written as the B above that (with the F# sustaining under it). It sounds like the immediate note after the F# is actually lower, rather than higher (maybe the B below the F#).

* p. 84, system 4
Error/correction: The 4:3 is carried over into this bar, but there is no bracket under the first note here.

* p. 84, system 4
Error/correction: The G# in the first sextuplet doesn't occur simultaneously with the B as it's written. It happens a fair amount after the B is attacked.

* p. 84, system 6
Question: Is the metric modulation in this bar really there? I don't really hear it.

* p. 86, system 4
Error/correction: There should be a courtesy sharp on the F# starting on the second eighth note of the third beat.

* p. 86, system 6
Error/correction: There's a courtesy sharp on the feedback! It's there because there was a G-natural a little before it. The problem is that there's another G almost immediately after the feedback, *without* an accidental. It actually sounds like a quarter-sharp (I think?) but regardless should have an accidental.

* p. 86, system 7
Error/correction: The chord before beat three (on the last sixteenth note in the sixteenth note triplet of beat two) has the indication "sream." I'm guessing that the intended text was "scream"...

* p. 87, system 2
Error/correction: The slow bend from A to B goes back down to A around the second beat, and while you could argue that that's what the A thirty-second note is, it's still not connected to the B with a slur.

* p. 87, system 3
Error/correction/question: The most frequently-encountered ambiguity in the Guitar Book is definitely the use of accidentals. A huge issue is when cautionary accidentals are used on some notes but not on others. Here we have a B-natural, Bb, C, B-1/4b, D-1/4#, B (no accidental), G-natural, A, G-natural over G-natural (both are marked with a natural), A, B (no accidental), grace note B (no accidental), D (no accidental), some noise, essentially, a high, distorted D (no accidental), and then two B's (both without accidentals). Are the B's following the one marked quarter-flat *also* quarter-flat? Are all D's quarter-sharp? All G's are marked natural.

* p. 87, system 4
Question: Why are the low A's written the way they are at the beginning of the measure?
Error/correction/question: I'm hearing the grace notes at the end of the second septuplet as just a trill, as in the beginning of the first septuplet.

* p. 87, system 5
Question: Where do the 128th notes come from?
Question: I love the "wah wah flexin'" indication, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to signify here.

* p. 87, system 8
Error/correction: Assuming that the overarching triplet has a standard 3:2 ratio, this measure doesn't work, as the triplet contains three quarter notes as opposed to three half notes as one would expect. If the ratio were 3:4, then this is correct, and that's what I'd assume (although it should probably have an explicit marking, as 3:4 has a different "feel" to 3:2 in the same way that 6:8 is different to 6:4, though by changing the note values they can be made equivalent). The other way to fix it would be to double every note value. When I listen to this passage, The two eighth notes at the end of the first triplet-layer within the triplet are definitely longer than usual 3:2:(3:2) eighth notes would be, further supporting that this should be 3:4.

* p. 88, system 2
Addition: There is definitely another feedback pitch before the first one (at the end of beat three).
Error/correction/question: Is the 8va sign above the last sixteenth note in the sixteenth note triplet in the triplet on beat three supposed to apply to the feedback alone, or to both the feedback and the E under it?

* p. 88, system 5
Error/correction: The 7:3(eighth notes) starting on the second eighth note of the measure actually has eight eighth notes in it. My hypothesis is that the first three sixteenth notes should be part of a sixteenth note triplet.

* p. 89, system 8
Question: I'm not really hearing the first two sixteenth notes here (just a downward slide on a low string?). Also, isn't the second feedback note *higher* than the first?

Soup 'n Old Clothes:

* p. 90, system 1, measure 1
Addition: I'm hearing more E's after the first one.

* p. 90, system 1, measure 2
Addition: Similarly, there are more A's before the next measure

* p. 91, system 3
Addition: There's some (quiet) feedback before the D at the end of beat one that wasn't written in.

* p. 91, system 8
Addition: There's pretty faint feedback around beat three.

* p. 92, system 1
Error/correction: Either the C (second sixty-fourth note) is sharp, three-quarter-sharp, or actually a D. It's *not* a C-natural, for sure.

* p. 94, system 8
Addition: Unnotated feedback before beat three's last sixteenth note.

* p. 99, system 8
Error/correction: The E of beat four should probably have a natural sign to cancel the previous quarter-sharp.

* p. 103, system 4
Addition: There's some unwritten feedback around the start of this measure.

* p. 103, system 5
Addition: There are D's between the first and second sixteenth note of beat three and between the second and third sixteenth note of beat four.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
animatronicity
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-28 20:50   [Quote] 
Here's the next part:

Variations on The Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression:

* p. 112, system 3, measure 1
Error/correction: There should probably be a cautionary flat on the Bb on beat four.

Gee, I Like Your Pants:

p. 119, system 3
Question: At the end of the measure there's the indication "[thirty-second note] = 9:8 [thirty-second note] ritard to normal (triplet bracket with 3)." What is the significance of the triplet bracket with nothing in it?

The Deathless Horsie:

If I'm not mistaken, the version Steve Transcribed seems to be quite different from the one that's on the album. Either that or I'm embarrassingly bad at following along. I'll wait until I'm more informed on the situation.

Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More:

Note: The tune transcribed here is more well-known as Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar.

* p. 136, system 1, measure 1
Guitar part:
Note: Obviously, this score is missing the pickup measure, with the downward slide. If you listen to the version on Warts 'n All, however, the slide *isn't* there; that version is probably what's transcribed here.
Error/correction/question: I think the rhythm of the notes from beat two to beat four isn't as swinging as it's written; it's more just straight sixteenths.

Drum part:
Addition: There's a snare roll around beat four.

* p. 136, system 2, measure 1, guitar part
Error/correction: This whole measure is written an octave lower than it should be; I'm assuming that there's an ottava sign missing.

* p. 136, system 3, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: Add a hi-hat to the snare on the first eighth note of the third beat.

* p. 137, system 1, measure 2, drum part
Addition: There are some toms in between the snares on the first three beats.

* p. 137, system 3, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: Add hi-hats to both eighth notes of beat two (the bass drum on the second eighth note stays).
Error/correction: What's written as a crash cymbal on beat three is really a (half-open or open) hi-hat; similarly the crash cymbal on the second eighth note of beat four is an open hi-hat

* p. 137, system 3, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: The crash cymbal on beat one is a closed hi-hat (which should probably be dotted/slurred to the last measure's final hi-hat).
Error/correction/question: I'm not hearing the hi-hats starting on the fourth sixteenth note of beat one continuing to the third sixteenth note of beat two.

* p. 137, system 4, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: The cymbals of beat three are written as crash cymbals, but are open hi-hats; I think this is just a case of misreading the manuscript.
Question: Are the cymbals on the fourth beat really there?

* p. 137, system 5, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: The first beat's cymbal should be a hi-hat -- it even has the "open" notation above it.
Addition: Add ride cymbals to the first eighth note of beat two, in place of the rest, and to the second eighth note of beat two, and to beat three.
Error/correction/question: As I hear it, every cymbal from the last note in this measure til the third system of the next page is a ride cymbal, not a hi-hat as written. Also, there are far fewer cymbals than are written.

* p. 138, system 2, measure 2, guitar part
Addition: I'd put a grace note B before the last quarter note of the quarter note triplet inside the first two beats' triplet.

* p. 138, system 3, measure 1, guitar part
Addition: I think that one of the indeterminate glisses/slides is missing after the first quarter note of this measure.

* p. 138, system 3, measure 2, drum part
Addition: There's a quick crash cymbal roll (tremolo? swish? rub stick clockwise?) at the start of this measure.

* p. 138, system 4, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: All cymbals here after the first are rides. Add rides to the third sixteenth note of beat one and of beat two, and to the second eighth note of beat three.
Addition: Add a sixteenth note ride cymbal after beat three. Also, add ride cymbal to the first sixteenth note of beat four (replacing the sixteenth note rest).

* p. 139, system 1, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: Need "RIDE" indication after first beat.
Question: Are the two separate rotos in beat four actually just one?

* p. 139, system 2, measure 2, drum part
Addition: Add (ride) cymbal on third sixteenth note of fourth beat (between the two snares).

* p. 139, system 3, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: Need "RIDE" indication on third beat.

* p. 140, system 1, measure 1, drum part
Addition: There are like nine hi-hat hits towards the second half of this measure.

* p. 140, system 4, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: There should be a "RIDE" indication on the fourth beat.

* p. 141, system 1, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: Add "RIDE" indication on third beat.

* p. 141, system 2, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction: The crash cymbal on beat three needs to be indicated as such, as does the ride cymbal on beat four.

* p. 141, system 3, measure 2, guitar part
Error/correction: The first note of this measure F-natural is part of a bend that starts on the fourth beat of the previous measure: D-F(natural)-D-F. I think that this F should be marked at least quarter-sharp. It's definitely higher than the previous F.

* p. 141, system 5, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The D-quarter-sharp (beat two's first eighth note) should be cancelled by a natural sign on the next D (beat two's second sixteenth note in the sixteenth note triplet).

Drum part:
Error/correction: The crash cymbal on beat three is actually an open hi-hat.
Error/correction: Beat four should have a "RIDE" indication.

* p. 141, system 5, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction/addition: The final rototom roll is actually a fill involving more than one drum.
Error/correction: There should be an indication that the final cymbal is a crash cymbal.

* p. 142, system 2, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: Add "RIDE" to the first beat of the measure.
Error/correction: Add ride cymbal to the last sixteenth note of the first beat.
Addition: Add sixteenth note bass drum to the end of the second beat.

* p. 142, system 5, both measures, drum part
Error/correction/addition: There are unwritten hi-hats throughout the big 6:5 fill.

* p. 143, system 1, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: There should be a "RIDE" indication before the last beat of the measure.

* p. 143, system 2, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: The first beat's cymbal should be indicated as a crash cymbal.
Addition: Add ride cymbal to first eighth note of second beat (I guess the "RIDE" indication would have to be moved back).

* p. 144, system 2, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction/addition: To the second beat, on the first eighth note and third sixteenth note, add ride cymbals. Remove the cymbal from the last sixteenth note of that beat.

* p. 144, system 3, measure 1, drum part
Addition: Add ride cymbal (hi-hat?) to third sixteenth note of the second beat, as well as to the second eighth note of beats three and four.
Error/correction/question: Is the cymbal on beat four, written as an open hi-hat, actually a ride?

* p. 145, system 1, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction: Add "RIDE" indicator to second eighth note of beat one.

* p. 145, system 2, measure 1
Guitar part:
Error/correction: The D-quarter-sharp's accidental should be cancelled on the next D.

Drum part:
Addition: Add ride cymbals to the second eighth note of beat one and the first eighth note of beat two.

* p. 145, system 5, measure 2, drum part
Addition: Add ride cymbals to the first and second eighth notes of beat one.

* p. 146, system 5, both measures, drum part
Error/correction: All cymbals in these two measures, and the first measure on the next page, are ride cymbals, instead of hi-hats as they're written.

* p. 147, system 2, measure 2, drum part
Error/correction/question: I'm not really hearing the final two beats' fill with the "sticks" indication as it's written...

* p. 149, system 4, measure 1, guitar part
Addition: There's another G between the fourth beat and the next measure.

* p. 150, system 3, measure 1, guitar part
Addition: I'd add another F# around the third-fourth beat (at least before the E in the fourth beat).

* p. 150, system 5, measure 1, drum part
Error/correction/addition/question: Are there snares around the first half of this measure?

* p. 152, system 4, measure 2
Question: The released version ends before this measure is complete.

Pink Napkins:

* Measure 3
Error/correction: The A should be sharp.

* Measure 14
Addition: There are two semi-muted notes, B and F# (descending) after the initial C#.

* Measure 30
Error/correction: The high, semi-muted G# in the fourth triplet should be an A(natural).

* Measure 37
Question: What is the natural sign in parentheses before the first note's quarter-sharp accidental supposed to mean? That it's higher that G-natural, but less than an equal-tempered G-quarter-sharp?

* Measure 68
Error/correction: I'm pretty sure that the C# in the last sixteenth note in the sixteenth note sextuplet should be a (semi-muted) D (natural).
Question: In this and the next two measures, in all of the F#-minor arpeggios, why is the A accented? I definitely hear the C# as being more accented than the other notes.

* Measure 69
Error/correction: Isn't the last C# in the measure actually a D (natural).

* Measure 75
Error/correction: A's are sharp in this measure.

* Measure 76
Note: If anyone's wondering why the transcription ends here: while on the record the tune continues and fades out (and Steve transcribed Outside Now to the very end of the fade-out), you can hear on that 1978 radio broadcast that at one point Pink Napkins did cut at the end of the measure here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-28 22:54   [Quote] 
Quote:
The Deathless Horsie:

If I'm not mistaken, the version Steve Transcribed seems to be quite different from the one that's on the album. Either that or I'm embarrassingly bad at following along. I'll wait until I'm more informed on the situation.

Hmm, I'll need to check on this, unless someone beats me to it. The SUNPYG version has edits compared to the original live version, but I think the Warts & All version has the same edits.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
animatronicity
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-28 23:41   [Quote] 
Well, just comparing the openings, Steve's transcription says that there's four measures before the organ comes in. On the released version, the organ and vibes start together, but on the Warts 'n All version, the organ does come after. Other than that, however, I don't think there any major differences. Still, it seems that the transcription and recording don't correspond in several places.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-07-29 01:23   [Quote] 
animatronicity wrote:
Well, just comparing the openings, Steve's transcription says that there's four measures before the organ comes in. On the released version, the organ and vibes start together, but on the Warts 'n All version, the organ does come after. Other than that, however, I don't think there any major differences. Still, it seems that the transcription and recording don't correspond in several places.

I remember noticing that the transcription seemed to be incorrect regarding the spot at 3:22 (in the 2012 UMe version) where the pedal changes to C# and an edit creates a 4/4 bar in the middle of the otherwise 5/4 piece.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
Poster
australia.gif
Post 2018-07-29 01:29   [Quote] 
animatronicity wrote:
I figured that I'd give an example of one of the errata. If you disagree with anything here please let me know.

five-five-FIVE

* p. 10, system 1, measure 2
Error/correction: This measure should be identical to the first one.

* p. 11, system 2, measure 1
Error/correction: The last eighth note shouldn't be present; the D should be a quarter note tied to the whole note.
I've checked these two and agree. The up down down up theme is a constant feature and that long note is definitely picked separately with a single grace note jumping into it.

Interestingly, in the process I found a stylistic error. On page 10, line 6, measure 1, the natural sign is missing from the first low D (beat 1 quaver 2). Without the natural written in, it still must be played D natural of course, but most scores are written with these courtesy accidentals when there is a change of register from one version of the same note name to another, to make it obvious. Here it's Db4 to D3 (with middle C = C4). This is an error in the sense that they are using this convention everywhere else and they've missed it in this bar.

The other thing that occurs to me is that Steve Vai is the transcriber, so how many of these errors are Vai's and how many the copyists? The large number of these errors then leads me to wonder about the LSO recordings that FZ had such difficulty with. How many of the errors were due to the copyist as opposed to the performers?

I notice also that you're using the German "system", rather than "line". In English, a system is when there are several parts grouped together, like the treble and bass of piano music. So, for example, in Stucco Homes, on page 160, there are three lines of music and each line comprises a system of three simultaneous parts.

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 3 Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: