Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Need Help
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-13 11:28   [Quote] 
mark donaghey wrote:
Have I downloaded the 'right' version, because what I downloaded works in terms of leeching, seeding and being able to play what I've downloaded.

If it works, then you should be okay. You don't even need to use Transmission; there are a variety of other bittorrent clients that could be used instead. You can see in my screenshot that the one peer I was uploading to was using µtorrent.

I see that Transmission, which used to be Macintosh-only, is now available for other platforms. If you're not on a Mac, then that could be why it looks different.

mark donaghey wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to take a screenshot,

On a Mac, it's shift-command-3. If you're on another operating system, I can't help you.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mark donaghey
uk.gif
Post 2018-07-13 13:02   [Quote] 
Quote:
If you're not on a Mac, then that could be why it looks different.

I'm on Windows 10, so that probably explains the difference in the way the app appears.

Thanx for your assistance and I think I can put this issue to bed.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [ICQ] 
mark donaghey
uk.gif
Post 2018-07-14 09:44   [Quote] 
Back again!

On the Transmission page where it shows my downloads the files have turned red and underneath each file it reads error!: no data found and telling me to remove the files and download them again.
I've checked and my downloaded files still play, but I'm gonna assume that this will stop me seeding to others.
Any advice about how I can restore these files in the app without downloading them again. I have had problems with this before. I accidentally deleted a file (by cutting it from my download folder and putting it in a folder on my desktop; the files now affected have not been moved) and when I tried to re-download it I got a dialogue box telling me that I can't do this as the file already exists on my computer. I searched my entire system for this file but could not find it.

I have just downloaded Vuze and at the moment it's working fine and seems a bit more user friendly from the perspective of a novice pc'er.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [ICQ] 
Ob
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-07-15 17:28   [Quote] 
Joining in the Sunday shows in the chat room is always great fun. I first listened 10 years ago and they still havent managed to get rid of me.
Download the show, join the chat before 7.00 pm and hit play at the end of the countdown.
That's actually the hard bit: the easy bit is to open a bottle of something nice and join in the (occasionally) amusing banterage. See you in there.....

[Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-15 18:51   [Quote] 
mark donaghey wrote:
On the Transmission page where it shows my downloads the files have turned red and underneath each file it reads error!: no data found and telling me to remove the files and download them again.
I've checked and my downloaded files still play, but I'm gonna assume that this will stop me seeding to others.

What you need to re-download is not the full show, but the tiny file you downloaded directly from Zappateers to start with. When you do that, you need to let Transmission know where the show is located on your computer so that it will start seeding what you have rather than re-downloading it to a different location. (If you always download to the same default location, this shouldn't be a problem.)

As to why you got that error message in the first place, did you move the files manually? It's always better to move them within Transmission. (In my version, it's Move Data File To… on the File menu.) Another way it can arise is if Transmission is running at a time when the drive where the files are located is not mounted. Then when you mount the drive, Transmission will remember that it was unable to locate the files.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mark donaghey
uk.gif
Post 2018-07-16 10:35   [Quote] 
drdork wrote
Quote:
What you need to re-download is not the full show, but the tiny file you downloaded directly from Zappateers to start with. When you do that, you need to let Transmission know where the show is located on your computer so that it will start seeding what you have rather than re-downloading it to a different location. (If you always download to the same default location, this shouldn't be a problem.)

When I tried to download the tiny file; after the dialogue box opened asking me what app I want to open the file with, I change it to Transmission and click ok. When I go to Transmission a pop-up appears telling me I already have this file so I can't progress past this stage because it won't allow me 'duplicate' this file.

Quote:
As to why you got that error message in the first place, did you move the files manually?

Yes you guessed correctly I did move them manually, I won't make that mistake again. I'll make new ones!

Again drdork your input is appreciated. I might have to change my name to dr dick.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [ICQ] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-16 16:20   [Quote] 
mark donaghey wrote:
When I tried to download the tiny file; after the dialogue box opened asking me what app I want to open the file with, I change it to Transmission and click ok. When I go to Transmission a pop-up appears telling me I already have this file so I can't progress past this stage because it won't allow me 'duplicate' this file.

You need to delete the old one first. "Remove From List…" on the Transfers menu, in my version of Transmission. Then you can open the newly-downloaded torrent file.

(There's another item "Remove Data File…" Don't do that; it will delete the flac files.)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mark donaghey
uk.gif
Post 2018-07-18 16:12   [Quote] 
I discarded Transmission, I was not overly impressed with it.

I've downloaded vuze and I find it a lot user friendlier.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [ICQ] 
mark donaghey
uk.gif
Post 2018-07-18 16:22   [Quote] 
I discarded Transmission, I was not overly impressed with it.

I've downloaded vuze and I find it a lot user friendlier. The inter-face, in my opinion, is much better, I'm looking at it now and I can clearly see I'm downloading 3 files and seeding 26 files.
How much does seeding that many files slow down my downloading capabilties. I only have a relatively slow download speed from my ISP. When downloading I can achieve about 500kB/s, whether that's for 1 file or shared between 2 files.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [ICQ] 
TOGFIADO
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-07-21 20:58   [Quote] 
Transmission has been wonderful (and stable) for me for years now. Maybe its a Mac/windoze thing. Or operator error Very Happy
Having said that, I've never tried Vuze- dont know if it even existed when I switched to Transmission. Which I did on the advice of some of the clever people here.

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-07-21 21:40   [Quote] 
TOGFIADO wrote:
Maybe its a Mac/windoze thing.

That seems likely. I don't think the Windows version was even developed by the same people.

TOGFIADO wrote:
Having said that, I've never tried Vuze- dont know if it even existed when I switched to Transmission.

Vuze is what used to be Azureus, which is what I used before switching to Transmission.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker All times are GMT

Jump to: