Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1967 12 03 Ann Arbor MI 23.32 Stage (Musigny23-WIU2B-LudzNL-fl-Galeans)
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2016-07-21 18:52   [Quote] 
emmapeelfanclub wrote:
How many rock bands had TWO drummers at this point in time?

I don't know if we mentioned it, but The Mothers had 2 drummers not only at this point but since August 25th, 1966, according with IINK Chronology.
This event is also mentioned by Frank in a interview to Hit Parader (June 1968) where he links it to Elliot Ingber being fired soon after (so, for a while a six-member Mothers line-up with 2 drummers).

In the same interview Frank states:
"The instrumentation of the ideal Mothers rock and roll band is two piccolos, two flutes, two bass flutes, two oboes, English horn, three bassoons, a contrabassoon, four clarinets (with the fourth player doubling on alto clarinet), bass clarinet, contrabass clarinet, soprano, alto, tenor, baritone and bass saxophones, four trumpets, four French horns, three trombones, one bass trombone, one tuba, one contrabass tuba, two harps, two keyboard men playing piano, electric piano, electric harpsichord, electric clavichord, Hammond organ, celeste, and piano bass, ten first violins, ten second violins, eight violas, six cellos, four string bass, four percussionists playing twelve tympani, chimes, gongs, field drums, bass drums, snare drums, woodblocks, lion's roar, vibes, xylophone and marimba, three electric guitars, one electric 12-string guitar, electric bass and electric bass guitar, and two drummers at sets, plus vocalists who play tambourines.
And I won't be happy until I have it."
Very Happy

HughGotIt
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-07-26 02:38   [Quote] 
Galeans wrote:
Brought to you by Musigny23, LudZNL, Flambay and Galeans
Wonderful job, gentleman. Thank you!

"Theoretically this is music for pigs" Laughing

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
DarthGandhi
usa.gif
Post 2016-08-25 04:47   [Quote] 
Thank you!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Wazoo BuffaloVoice
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-09-29 11:04   [Quote] 
Thank you Sir! Arf!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuffaloVoice?feature=mhee
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Elmonteman
Post 2016-10-01 10:30   [Quote] 
Thank you....appreciated.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Charles Baudelaire
usa.gif
Post 2017-02-19 18:18   [Quote] 
I think that I have this already. Not sure. Oh well, I'll listen again and find out. Thanks for the upload.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Jim Lahey
Post 2017-10-15 14:20   [Quote] 
For what it's worth, the opinion of an amateur:
Listening to this one in the car the other night, I started to wonder if this tape was in fact the April 28, 1968 late show in Detroit. The electric piano at the end of King Kong on this one made me think of the way King Kong ends on the Detroit tape (actually the end of "05 Impro" to be exact, I combined them as "King Kong" when I burned the CD) and then I noticed that each of the songs here were also performed on the Detroit tape, so I decided to compare.

First I took "America Drinks" and put both versions in Audacity just went back and forth as they were playing. I noticed right away the vocals were on opposite channels so I reversed the channels and found that everything was in virtually the same place in the stereo image once that was done. Then Ray did the same "I fell for your hole" line in both versions, as well as the same "Friday we get arrested" joke (although the set up was different, same punch line).

Compared "Hungry Freaks" next and thought the stereo image was again similar once the channels were reversed, although the disparity in the quality of the tape was a little more apparent.

Compared "King Kong" and "Status" after reversing the stereo image and felt they were similar as well, although I didn't feel as convinced I was on to something as I had been with the other two comparisons. Nevertheless I thought the tunes were all performed with the same or similar arrangements as well.

So my (highly amateur) conclusion (after an hour or two of investigation): if it is not the 4/28/68 late show (which I'm not convinced it is) I think it could've been recorded within a few days of the Detroit show with the same recording set up. (Both Don Preston tapes perhaps?)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2017-10-27 10:44   [Quote] 
Jim Lahey wrote:
For what it's worth, the opinion of an amateur:
Listening to this one in the car the other night, I started to wonder if this tape was in fact the April 28, 1968 late show in Detroit. The electric piano at the end of King Kong on this one made me think of the way King Kong ends on the Detroit tape (actually the end of "05 Impro" to be exact, I combined them as "King Kong" when I burned the CD) and then I noticed that each of the songs here were also performed on the Detroit tape, so I decided to compare.

First I took "America Drinks" and put both versions in Audacity just went back and forth as they were playing. I noticed right away the vocals were on opposite channels so I reversed the channels and found that everything was in virtually the same place in the stereo image once that was done. Then Ray did the same "I fell for your hole" line in both versions, as well as the same "Friday we get arrested" joke (although the set up was different, same punch line).

Compared "Hungry Freaks" next and thought the stereo image was again similar once the channels were reversed, although the disparity in the quality of the tape was a little more apparent.

Compared "King Kong" and "Status" after reversing the stereo image and felt they were similar as well, although I didn't feel as convinced I was on to something as I had been with the other two comparisons. Nevertheless I thought the tunes were all performed with the same or similar arrangements as well.

So my (highly amateur) conclusion (after an hour or two of investigation): if it is not the 4/28/68 late show (which I'm not convinced it is) I think it could've been recorded within a few days of the Detroit show with the same recording set up. (Both Don Preston tapes perhaps?)

Interesting comments, Jim. Thanks! There is no way to confirm this but it's a good bet and more plausible than 1967 12 03. It's interesting that such a short tape spawned so much discussion over the years. Someday, we'll get to the confirmed truth!

cheers

Dagon333
usa.gif
Post 2018-06-22 04:10   [Quote] 
A Kid In A Candy Store!

Thank you all.

Peace and Much Groove. cooler clap headbanger Cool

Dagon333
usa.gif
Post 2018-06-28 04:43   [Quote] 
Can't sleep, it's Midnight Forty-Five and this King Kong is precisely what I exactly needed; Again, thank you to everyone involved in keeping this alive.

Peace and Much Groove. tunes dancingnaughty blues

POLIKARPE
Post 2019-01-20 14:38   [Quote] 
many thanks!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mike comisky
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-20 16:46   [Quote] 
Somehow missed this previously, thanks to all
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 6 of 6 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Shows All times are GMT

Jump to: