Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
What can we expect for the next release?
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
croation beat
usa.gif
Post 2018-06-06 01:08   [Quote] 
I'm hoping for a spring or fall 74 show.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-06-06 02:52   [Quote] 
Waka/Wazoo box
Complete December 1976 New York shows

I don't know if those will be next, but I think they are likely to happen soon.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BobM
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-06 15:39   [Quote] 
something...anything!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Hot Rats
usa.gif
Post 2018-06-06 17:30   [Quote] 
I would love to see a box set from the London 1979 shows. Especially 2/19/79 which is one of my favorites.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-06-06 18:56   [Quote] 
Hot Rats wrote:
I would love to see a box set from the London 1979 shows. Especially 2/19/79 which is one of my favorites.

If the tapes are still intact after the editing FZ did for the albums, that could be very good.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-08 15:06   [Quote] 
In my Zappa dream world I would like a lot more from the Bongo Fury tour, box set of the all of the 1976 Xmas NYC shows, box set of the 1978 Halloween shows complete (like they did with the 1977 Halloween box set), 1974 Mother's Day concerts, etc. Basically everything from this list that hasn't already been released and is worth releasing... see attachment)
http://fzpomd.net/giglist/holiday.html

And but also this article has probably already been posted on here but just in case it wasn't, I received an email from the original hardcore fan Tom Brown with a link to this article/interview ab out and with Ahmet. It's from the end of March and Ahmet is asked about future releases and what he says is awesome! Here's the link to the article and I'll copy and the parts that address the future releases portion of the interview

http://www.efeeme.com/ahmet-zappa-the-frank-zappa-hologram-tour-will-be-a-unique-and-pioneering-experience-for-music-fans/

Ahmet Zappa: “The Frank Zappa hologram tour will be a unique and pioneering experience for music fans”

Interviewer: What comes next after releasing the “Halloween” and “Roxy” performances?

Ahmet: I’m going to do another “Halloween” box, with a new mask. I want to try to keep releasing those, I want there to be this collection, keeping with the similar kind of format. We didn’t know how people would feel about the “Halloween” box, but I think it was well received. Right now, I’m trying to decide on what style; should we have a zombie Frank mask? Should it be a poodle Frank mask?

Interviewer: In 1988, Frank Zappa toured for the last time. That particular tour was pioneering since it focused on political commentary and the defense of the First Amendment in the Reagan era. Zappa edited part of those shows in several works, such as “Broadway the hard way”, “The best band you never heard in your life” or “Make a jazz noise here”. Have you considered releasing more concerts of that tour?

Ahmet: That era is interesting because there are a lot of sound profiles, like noises and things he made on the Synclavier, and also Frank was able to bring on the road with him. I was at so many of those shows, and that was one of the biggest tours. I saw more of those shows than anything else. So, I have this connection between those dates, him discovering he was sick, and again, then the focus he had after being on tour when he was sick and then just working in the studio. And certainly the people that visited the house, the things he recorded towards the end of his life, there’s a lot of material there. I don’t know that it’s necessarily, look if you’re saying, “would we do all nights from 1988,” or something like that.

Interviewer: Because there are a lot of concerts from 1988.

Ahmet: Yes, I think it’s a little different because the Halloween shows are legendary for being on Halloween night, so we have all of these shows that are clustered around Halloween, which kind of feel inherently, “oh, that’s a box-set”. I’m trying to think of a night in ’88 that feels like a Roxy night. It’s hard to choose. We could do the entire run of ’88 as like a 700-disc series, it’s crazy.

The last sentence Ahmet says about a 700-disc series of every show from 1988 has got me almost optimistic, but it'll likely never happen because it would cost a fortune to produce and the price would be a lot. They'd lose a lot of money on a project that immense. However the 1988 band played about 120 songs during it's short and ill-fated life and although there are already several 1988 band releases and some songs on one of the 'Stage' boxes as well as some on the 'Birthday Bundle' series, there are still plenty of songs that they played in 1988 that haven't been released yet like the original version of Bacon Fat and the full version of Confinement Loaf for example. Plus there's so many guitar solos and the improvisation sections of Big Swifty, King Kong, Pound For a Brown etc. I saw 13 shows in 1988 and each one was unique. So I think more 1988 material can and should be released. If Ahmet only wants to do box sets he could release the 3 shows played in NYC, Tower Theater and WDC each as a separate box. Then for the European part of the tour he could release all of the shows from a time period or all the shows from a country or geographical era such as all the Scandinavian shows in one box or all of the German shows in one box. Personally I don't think that some of the shows towards the end of the tour should be released because Frank was pretty pissed about all the negativity and playground psychotics going on and you can hear it on some of the recordings that Frank was already choosing 'Aisle or Window' by then and they didn't even do soundcheck/rehearsals for most or maybe all of the Italian shows. I remember that Mike Keneally stopped his 1988 tour diary at some point towards the end of the European tours because he was so disgusted about all the bullshit going on. Oh well Never mind!

Tomorrow is the 30th anniversary of the last 'Zappa' band show ever played.

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-06-08 20:02   [Quote] 
robsam wrote:
box set of the 1978 Halloween shows complete (like they did with the 1977 Halloween box set)

A very common request, for good reason. Alas, my understanding is that when FZ put together the albums many of the multitracks were edited and some lost. They would need to piece the shows together from various sources, and my guess is that they could do it but it would have less consistent sound quality than the Halloween 77 or Roxy boxes.

If Ahmet is expecting to do another Halloween box, I guess it would need to be the 1981 run since I have also heard that not all of the Halloween 1980 shows survived, and FZ said he didn't record the Felt Forum shows from 1974-76.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-06-08 20:39   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
robsam wrote:
box set of the 1978 Halloween shows complete (like they did with the 1977 Halloween box set)
If Ahmet is expecting to do another Halloween box, I guess it would need to be the 1981 run since I have also heard that not all of the Halloween 1980 shows survived, and FZ said he didn't record the Felt Forum shows from 1974-76.

Here's what Joe said on a podcast last year
father-0blivion wrote:
Just a little note on what Joe said is/isn't in the vault Halloweenwise.....

'72 = A small amount.
'73 = Not there.
'74 = Not there.
'75 = Not there.
'76 = Not there.
'78 = Didn't mention it.
'80 = Not there.
'81 = There complete!
'84 = Joe doesn't think they are there.....

Although what Ahmet actually says according to the post Rob made above is ''...shows clustered around Halloween''.... Not actually ON Halloween..

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-06-08 22:10   [Quote] 
The 1981 run was October 29 to November 1. First shows were ordinary, but November 1 is quite good.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-06-09 17:41   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
The 1981 run was October 29 to November 1. First shows were ordinary, but November 1 is quite good.

it's like there was this weight lifted from their shoulders (especially the rhythm section). all of a sudden they sounded much less stiff and began the development into one of Frank's best.

Jim Lahey
Post 2018-06-09 23:04   [Quote] 
I wonder what there is in the vault regarding Hutchentoot, I'd like to dive into that.

I like the shelved, finished projects like Finer Moments or Lumpy Gravy Primordial (or Lather, for that matter). I can only imagine there's a few more lying around.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-06-09 23:29   [Quote] 
Jim Lahey wrote:
I wonder what there is in the vault regarding Hutchentoot, I'd like to dive into that.

I doubt there is much other than the Thana Harris stuff, otherwise FZ would have probably released it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-10 02:35   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

I doubt there is much other than the Thana Harris stuff, otherwise FZ would have probably released it.

And Planet Of My Dreams and Think It Over, of course.

FZ explicitly denied it:

Quote:
DEN SIMMS: Gettin' back to "Hunchentoot", are there any other songs that we'd be familiar with, that came about from "Hunchentoot", other than "Flambay", "Spider of Destiny", "Planet of My Dreams" and "Time Is Money"? Anything else besides those four that we ...

FRANK ZAPPA: Not that have been recorded ... oh, yeah! Wait. There's another one that's in the script. That's, um ... "Think It Over" ... "If something gets in your way, just think it over". Well, that's the Grand Wazoo theme. [Frank hums it]

FRANK ZAPPA: But the other songs that Hunchentoot sings, like "The Hunchentootin' Blues", and, um, "Oh Me, Oh My, Lonely Spider Wanna Die", those have never been recorded.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-06-10 14:37   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:

And Planet Of My Dreams and Think It Over, of course.

Well, Thana does sing background on Planet...Smile (I forgot that Think It Over was part of Hunchentoot.)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
philippines.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-06-11 04:30   [Quote] 
So I guess that interview I posted with Ahmet hasn't been posted on Zappateers before.
I really like his enthusiasm and excitement about Frank's music and his ideas for future releases. He should follow the Robert Fripp model regarding the King Crimson Collector's Club (KCCC) and have fans be able to pay in advance for future releases then the fans have a choice of which releases they want to purchase. I think there are 50+ KCCC releases. The thing with King Crimson is if you have one concert from a tour it's going to be pretty much the same as every other concert of the tour. Whereas with Zappa every show is different on every tour with some exceptions like the 1984 tour and Spring 1980 tour where they played pretty much the same songs every night. But still Frank never played the same solo twice so there really are no two Zappa shows that are the same in the way that King Crimson shows... there are subtle differences between Crimson shows, but the differences between Zappa shows varied wildly.
Also the anniversary re-issues that Fripp has been putting out of all the King Crimson catalog are so comprehensive: King Crimson - The Road To Red (2013, 40th Anniversary Series, 21CD+DVD-A+2Blu-Ray, KCCBX7) for example. The Zappa Project Object releases pale in comparison! What is with 'The Crux of The Biscuit'? A single disc to represent an album recorded by Frank's best band. There's got to a shitload of alternate takes and songs that didn't make the apostrophe (') album. The coolest thing on Crux is the extended version of Uncle Remus. I can't understand why Frank cut out the extra minute or so of the extended version for album.
Anyway I'm glad to have been the one to share the article/interview with Ahmet. It seems to have never been shared here and posting it has spurred on some good posts.
Anyway I think they should be following Fripp's model and I know this has been mentioned before so what do other's think about this idea?
Regardless I think Ahmet and Joe what been doing a much better job with releasing Frank's music than the thing that was in charge of it before.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 5 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: