Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Binge listening discussion and suggestions
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
scoobie
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-05-06 03:22   [Quote] 
Who else does this? I enjoy it although it does take a commitment. Usually I just play studio discographies. I'm looking for suggestions and discussion on the merits of listening to a long series of one type.

Examples "inside the box" might be... All of the FZ 1988 tour; All of the Moody Blues officially released studio albums; All of the Deep Purple albums with Richie Blackmore, etc.

"Outside the box" items might be... A series of unrelated recordings of saxless quartets; Concept albums by different groups; Albums by bands with two drummers...

Any ideas are appreciated. I cook from 0430 to 1430 six days a week and listen to a lot of music. I have about 6 weeks left on the job and seeking to fill my time with some listening that yields a greater takeaway than just keeping unwanted people out of the smokehouse, or drowning out my thoughts so I can work faster. Ive done this before, but I'm burned out, and humbly seek your help, ye noble Zappateers. Thanks in advance
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
manxzx
Busy Poster
Post 2018-05-06 10:11   [Quote] 
I once listened to this in a row without sleeping or eating suicide , as some sort of soul cleaning and to experience something different. After 50 hours of heavy sounds and music (?), some sleeping, a good shower and a good breakfast, I was feeling like a new man. Ready for the real world again.
I didn't touch the cd player again for weeks… mhihi
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2018-05-06 20:49   [Quote] 
I get the charme of such a Merzbow marathon on some level (though I don't listen to that guy).

Apart from that, I'm doing binge listening quite often. I bought a lot of stuff over the last few years, converted everything to flac, and now I have a load of folders with maybe 40 (new for me) groups I want to check out in the future (that's enough for a few years), often including the complete discography, in chronological order. When I pick out one of those bands/artists, I listen to all of it several times. As soon as I got familiar with the output I start to select the things I like, which usually results in a compilation. That process often takes a few weeks, sometimes months, with prolific bands like Stereolab or God is My Co-Pilot easily a year (I'm still not through with God-Co, and I started that journey in March '17!)... that also depends on how many bands I have "in the works" simultaneously.

Bands I have in rotation these days are U.S. Girls, still The Raincoats, Scissor Girls and Bride of No No, Wetdog, yeah, and God-Co - respectively the complete or almost complete discography.

Of course I still listen to all kinds of stuff inbetween. That "systematical" thing isn't the only way I listen to music. But it's a big part of my habits. And it's more fun than it might seem at first, when reading about it.

suggestion for scoobie: Steve Lacy
I had my Lacy-binge maybe three years ago, and already have the apetite to do it again!
I've been planning a Cecil Taylor binge for a while too (long before he died), I just started to fill some gaps in my collection. CT might be my soundtrack for long walks in the woods during the summer holidays. Smile

scoobie
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-05-07 13:47   [Quote] 
Lacy, yes. I'm more familiar with his work after the 90s so im excited to hear the roots and the connective tissue from the 70s and 80s. I'm limited by what's on Spotify at the moment but working through his early work this morning. So far: Evidence, Reflections, and the Straight Horn of Steve Lacy. I'm interested to know your impressions or conclusions, too.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Dark Clothes
Poster
Post 2018-05-07 18:37   [Quote] 
Can/Holger Czukay

scoobie
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-05-07 20:47   [Quote] 
I would be all over the Can/Czukay/Canaxis except that those albums are my go-to pile. They're not worn out (does a band with a drummer as good as Jaki L. ever wear out?) but Im afraid that I'm so close to that stuff that I'm not sure what I would learn from it.

Regarding Lacy, I got through three more before checking out early today. Live in Paris '81 with Mal Waldron was really refreshing! A great change of pace from the more or less standard early 60s bop of the previous 3 I listened to. Then two from the 2000s I was already familiar with, Best Wishes and New Jazz Meeting. I like his music more as he gets older.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2018-05-08 07:19   [Quote] 
scoobie wrote:
... Steve Lacy. I'm interested to know your impressions or conclusions, too.
First of all, Lacy for me is a singular musician in his own class. Basically he needs to play just one note and I'm musically satisfied.
It's probably no surprise I like his free stuff the most, focus on 1973 to circa 1983, classic quintet/sextet. But it's a complicated thing... sometimes I love Steve Potts' playing and mostly I hate it, I love Irene Aebi's vocal contribution, sometimes they get completely on my nerves. My favorite Lacy-LPs are probably a few late 70s ones with lots of vocal pieces... for example The Owl, The Way, or Troubles. This stuff can have its very own qualities with emotionally moving vocal delivery by Aebi. In the 80s, when Lacy started calling it "lit jazz" (from literature), he lost me. Then again there's brilliant all instrumental LPs like Follies, or the solo stuff, or his collaborations with the european improv people (Derek Bailey! Han Bennink! Globe Unity Orchestra!). Never got into any of the Togashi stuff though. Anyway that's such a massive body of work with so many facets...
As far as I can see Lacy moved to a post-boppish thing in his later years, and that's not so much my cup of tea.

I don't know right now... are you into the post punk thing? Then maybe try the first three P.i.L-LPs? (all with Keith Levene). A bit later, Jah Wobble was in close touch with the Can/Czukay world btw.

ephceetera
Poster
kyrgyzstan.gif
Post 2018-05-08 08:08   [Quote] 
I used to do that. In theory, I'm a binge listener essentially, but I didn't need silence until I started living with my wife-to-be. Neither that nor chores (not as much as now...shit, reality's surreal) and work (with said wife-to-be), and studying. I wonder when will I be able to do so again. Probably in one or two years from now, if I'm lucky and keep focused on, well, making money for a living.

Also, I tend to take things too literally, so I wonder what have I taken literally here from people who weren't REALLY bent on sitting on their ass and procrastinating with music on the background as an excuse for it for ass-long periods of time.

Back on topic, hmm, binge listening to tours - been that, done that, not only with Zappa and Beefheart. A lot of Yes, King Crimson and Rolling Stones.

So, to answer Scoobie, it seems he hovers around something more complex/less commonplace/who knows. I dunno, get the Albert Ayler box, or perhaps something ...ok.

The suggestion will be: Pentangle/Bert Jansch/John Renbourn. Less demanding, so consider that the mellow binge.

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scoobie
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-05-10 13:17   [Quote] 
PiL could be fun. I own two of their albums on CD but hadn't considered running through all of them end to end.

Did *not* know about Jah Wobble working with Czukay!

Agree on Macy's free work compared to the more or less run of the mill hard bop periods that bookend it. Have you listened to the live disc with Mal Waldron, I think it's called Live at Dreher, Paris? There are a number of stretched out takes that are a lot more interesting than I ever thought a piano-alto dup could be.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
tasfa potumba
usa.gif
Post 2018-05-10 21:42   [Quote] 
I understand "binge listening", but to me it takes the dynamic out of the artist's approach. I don't think music's meant to be all one thing for a long period of time. But yrs- there's been times when I'm heavy on an artist or genre.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2018-05-10 22:46   [Quote] 
scoobie wrote:
Have you listened to the live disc with Mal Waldron, I think it's called Live at Dreher, Paris? There are a number of stretched out takes that are a lot more interesting than I ever thought a piano-alto dup could be.
When I keep myself busy with Lacy, I focus on compositions from his catalogue (when we're talking of LPs that also include pieces from others). I have several Lacy/Waldron-duo albums, two LPs, a 4CD-set (probably including said LPs), and maybe two later CDs, but mostly listened to the Lacy pieces on those, left out the tunes by Waldron, Monk, Ellington(?). I remember "Herbe de L"Oublie" was my favorite! That's some rather twisted soprano sax playing there (at least the one version I remember).

I think one Lacy thing is to press the keys for a certain note, and the mouth manipulates the reed in a way so an overtone (+ a special timbre) comes out. The melody comes out correctly while pressing completely different key-combinations (for example everything a compound fifth below). That one version of "Herbe" is full of that, when I remember right. I understand Lacy was a master of mixing "normal" tones, and overtones of various "degrees" in one line, thereby giving the notes different shadings.

Last edited by cookie_manager on 2018-05-11 19:35; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mower B. Yard
Post 2018-05-11 04:30   [Quote] 
The Complete On The Corner Sessions might be an option. It might not qualify as a binge on this thread, but it sure pins my feet to the ground for a solid period of time.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2018-05-12 08:04   [Quote] 
My listening is half an hour there, one hour here, when I spend time in nature maybe a few hours en bloc. I hardly listen to stuff for several hours in one sitting. But my "binge" thing I was talking about above is I keep returning to the same folder/new band until I heard everything chronologically a few times, if in smaller portions.

Or does that, in the end, disqualify me as binge listener? Embarassed

I've put together hour-long mixes of various bands that have a big catalogue, always thinking how nice it will be to play that for a few hours at home on a free day. But that hardly happens.
The Zappa-one actually might have gotten played the most over the years since it kinda energizes me, keeps my spirit up when tidying our place.

stillbob
EU.gif
Post 2018-05-12 13:02   [Quote] 
Anything from Mali! Start with Fatou, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMLgV1LH7tM continue with Ali Farka Touré & Ry Cooder - Talking Timbuktu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0iaTsSHuWY
Youtube is your friend. Very Happy
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2018-05-13 22:01   [Quote] 
Chronological or random? That is the question.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: