Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
The "What was he thinking?!" thread
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
staaan
usa.gif
Post 2018-04-12 22:34   [Quote] 
Galeans wrote:
I actually think "Keep it Greasey" is a very disturbing song in the context of the "Joe's Garage" album. In fact the majority of the second half of Act II and all of Act III are as dark as Zappa ever got

I would say it started to get dark in Act I during "Fembot in a Wet T-Shirt" While Mary is on stage talking with Buddy Jones aka Father Riley she says "I really need the fifty bucks you know, I gotta get home!" to which Buddy Jones aka Father Riley retorts "Yeah, I know, your father is waiting for you in the tool shed..."

I believe that's a reference to molestation or incestuous rape. Initially when I was in high school and first heard that I kinda had a WTF was he thinking moment but as time has gone by I take it to mean that Frank was pointing out an often held theory that girls who get into stripping for money, prostitution or in this case being a "Crew Slut" come from homes where they've been sexually abused.

If you're reading the liner notes for this song in the album I think he's also taking a dig at the clergy too.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Poster
Post 2018-04-13 12:27   [Quote] 
I suppose the incest theme starts in Brown Shoes Don't Make It, later loci classici being Magdalena and Wet T-Shirt Nite. I recall something from the mid-Eighties that he defended Prince dealing with incest. I was always surprised he said he didn't know incest was such a big problem in the US, considering his typically unusual frankness in those songs. I don't think empathy was his strongest trait. Maybe he was too much of a 50's man - potent and intelligent, not a bleeding heart.

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-04-13 14:01   [Quote] 
HughGotIt wrote:
ivester wrote:
Check out "Motherly Love" on the Freak Out album and "Brown Shoes" from Absolutely Free. Frank had that attitude from the beginning, like it or not.
Someone just recently posted a '80s MTV interview with Frank. He was asked which of his own songs did he like the best. He responded, 'Not what you'd think.'
His favorites were, The Dangerous Kitchen, and The Radio is Broken. "... that puerile stuff."

I remember from a few 80's interviews that Dangerous Kitchen and Jazz Discharge Party Hats were two favorites of his out of his own records.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-04-13 14:48   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
HughGotIt wrote:
ivester wrote:
Check out "Motherly Love" on the Freak Out album and "Brown Shoes" from Absolutely Free. Frank had that attitude from the beginning, like it or not.
Someone just recently posted a '80s MTV interview with Frank. He was asked which of his own songs did he like the best. He responded, 'Not what you'd think.'
His favorites were, The Dangerous Kitchen, and The Radio is Broken. "... that puerile stuff."

I remember from a few 80's interviews that Dangerous Kitchen and Jazz Discharge Party Hats were two favorites of his out of his own records.

Hmm.. I wonder if Frank was being 100% serious when he said these things..

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-04-13 15:42   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:

One example of FZ talking about it - to me he seems serious.
Quote:
Some of the things that I've recorded that I happen to like the best are the things that people in the marketplace find the most repulsive about what I do. Songs like "The Dangerous Kitchen" or "The Jazz Discharge Party Hats" are unique in American popular music. There are no two other songs that are in that same style.

http://www.afka.net/Articles/1987_SongTalk.htm
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-04-13 16:53   [Quote] 
Thanks for directing me to that interview, I enjoyed reading it. Interesting that he described the New York school of composers such as Phillip Glass as ''art gallery background music''

I'd agree he was speaking seriously there... I suppose liking songs because they are ''unique and adventurous'' is as good a reason as any..

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-04-13 18:01   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:

One example of FZ talking about it - to me he seems serious.
http://www.afka.net/Articles/1987_SongTalk.htm

Given that both of those song share the same trait, I think he's probably just referring to the Vai-transcribed sprechstimme thing when he says there are no other songs like that in American popular music. Plus, that album was pretty recent for him when this interview occurred. I would think that if he could have been asked later (perhaps when he knew his days were numbered) which of his songs he liked the best, he'd give a more contemplative answer.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-04-13 19:13   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
Thanks for directing me to that interview, I enjoyed reading it. Interesting that he described the New York school of composers such as Phillip Glass as ''art gallery background music''

I remember from a few 80's interviews that he wasn't fond of the Minimalist composers, both because the music wasn't to his taste and that he thought the style was overshadowing other modern classical music he preferred.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mightyslimster
usa.gif
Post 2018-05-22 19:57   [Quote] 
I have gone back and started listening to some FZ albums I haven't heard in over 20 years. I appreciate some tunes more as my ability to follow compositions has improved. That being said I just relistened to Them or Us.
All in all a great record. My "WTF has he thinking" moments happen on Sinister Footwear which I like at the beginning but then goes on way too long specially with the fast notes section that don't seem to have any rhyme or reason. Then there is the guitar solo on Truck Diver Divorce which also seems to go one way to long and gets too noisey to discern what he's trying to say musically other than mangle it strangle it. There are some guitar solos that just seem to go on too long and are just noisey in general that I don't dig. Almost like bad live Hendrix solos. So his playing wasn't brilliant one hundred percent of the time. He definitely had a great batting average in this department though. The over compressed wah wah tone on the Roxy I also feel "WTF was he thinking?".
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Quesons Chicken
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-05-23 00:33   [Quote] 
Thing Fish

/thread.

-FZ Nantes, France 0614, 1980
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-05-23 02:37   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:

I remember from a few 80's interviews that he wasn't fond of the Minimalist composers, both because the music wasn't to his taste and that he thought the style was overshadowing other modern classical music he preferred.

I seem to remember the implication or statement that minimalism was the lowest common denominator when funding and talent was in short supply.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2018-05-29 06:37   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:

Well, they certainly won, if one looks at it as opposing forces. Between Minimalism (which ended very early to the purists) and Ambient...
and Drone...and combinations thereof...we all know what rules these days.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
epistrophy
mongolia.gif
Post 2018-05-29 07:01   [Quote] 
I haven't listened to it in a long time, but one of the Waterbury shows from 29 10 75 has a very cringeworthy audience 'participation' section where a girl volunteers to get up on stage and is then tied up with a mic cable. Frank eventually ends the episode after a minute or two of the audience strongly advising him that the girl is not having a good time. What on earth was he thinking?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-05-29 07:35   [Quote] 
epistrophy wrote:
I haven't listened to it in a long time, but one of the Waterbury shows from 29 10 75 has a very cringeworthy audience 'participation' section where a girl volunteers to get up on stage and is then tied up with a mic cable. Frank eventually ends the episode after a minute or two of the audience strongly advising him that the girl is not having a good time. What on earth was he thinking?

Ahh ahh. This show was part of my original cassette collection of 30 or 40 shows before the CD-r era.

Yeah. Itís been awhile too but I do remember this part being a bit weird as well...was it during Enemma Bandit? Anyway..as I recall to me she came off as being very high on something..acid maybe?...anyway..Iíll have to listen again
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 4 of 4 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: