Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1978 09 08 - Circus Krone Munich DE 58.01 Pro-Shot MC PAL LPCM (Bernhard-Pittylabelle)
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
rubbershirt
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-24 01:34   [Quote] 
Now that's I'm actually watching, Holy Shit! Awesome! So much better than what I've seen before. This is so cool.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-02-24 02:04   [Quote] 
rubbershirt wrote:
Now that's I'm actually watching, Holy Shit! Awesome! So much better than what I've seen before. This is so cool.

Thank you! I'm really pleased to hear from you after such a short time and, of course, that you like it!

Because, we are one of the few Zappateers that are still ... "on duty, on duty, on duty, on duty, duty, duty ..."

Fun aside - thanks again! Wink
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
robsam
Contributor
thailand.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-02-24 02:27   [Quote] 
rupert pupkin wrote:
Pittylabelle wrote:
robsam wrote:
Thanks for this. The version of Why Does It Hurt When I Pee is great on this. It's all great especially Conehead and the shot of FZ's pedal board right before he starts his solo.

Well observed Rob, because this movie section only takes ~ 2 seconds.

Unfortunately, the basic resolution of the TV broadcast (or movie itself) is not good enough to see what exactly is on the small labels of his effect pedal devices. Laughing

yes I remember well this pedal board too although this shot is very short...
I was impressed...

I like so much the guitar tone and effect of the "Conehead" solo - especially this arrangement (over the 77 shows). That 1978 guitar tone is unique.

Regarding the "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee"... guitar solo- it sounds as if Zappa is playing an epic guitar solo a-la Stairway To Heaven...

Well FZ's pedal board is more impressive than my ability to notice and remember that 2 seconds of it in the video. Frank always got great sound out of all the guitars he played especially in the 70's and 80's. My personal favorite is the sound he got and the solos he did on the mini Les Paul he played around 1980-1981. I wonder how many of the songs on Shut Up & Play Yer Guitar were played on that Les Paul. Frank's guitar sounds and solos on the Buffalo 1980 official release are incredible, brilliant, amazing, etc. I believe that for the 1980 fall tour, the mini Les Paul is only guitar FZ played. For example the solo in City of Tiny Lights starts off with this 'dirty' and distorted sound and then Frank uses his masterful feedback control when he changes the sound to the 'Variations on The Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression' (recorded on my 17th birthday and the day before I saw Frank live for the very first time in the Stony Brook gym!)... only Frank could do that and only a Les Paul cold allow him to do so. The solos in all the songs on that Buffalo album are brilliant... instant improvised compositions!

Anyway, getting back to this new version of We Don't Mess Around...
God Damn it looks good! Thanks again for the work you put into getting it digitized and but also sharing it with us. I hope more of these types of gems keep popping up before we've all departed on our last tour and/or are dust!

Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-02-24 03:58   [Quote] 
robsam wrote:
Well FZ's pedal board is more impressive than my ability to notice and remember that 2 seconds of it in the video. Frank always got great sound out of all the guitars he played especially in the 70's and 80's. My personal favorite is the sound he got and the solos he did on the mini Les Paul he played around 1980-1981. I wonder how many of the songs on Shut Up & Play Yer Guitar were played on that Les Paul. Frank's guitar sounds and solos on the Buffalo 1980 official release are incredible, brilliant, amazing, etc. I believe that for the 1980 fall tour, the mini Les Paul is only guitar FZ played. For example the solo in City of Tiny Lights starts off with this 'dirty' and distorted sound and then Frank uses his masterful feedback control when he changes the sound to the 'Variations on The Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression' (recorded on my 17th birthday and the day before I saw Frank live for the very first time in the Stony Brook gym!)... only Frank could do that and only a Les Paul cold allow him to do so. The solos in all the songs on that Buffalo album are brilliant... instant improvised compositions!

God Damn it looks good! Thanks again for the work you put into getting it digitized and but also sharing it with us. I hope more of these types of gems keep popping up before we've all departed on our last tour and/or are dust!

Thank you for your assessment and that you like this new version!!!

I looked at it again and strictly speaking, there are even two settings in this film that describe your observation:
1. There is another scene in the movie: At minute 38.31 "Watch me now I'm going down",
Frank really goes down very briefly and you can see his effect devices too.
2. The shot you've made, goes from 40:20 to 40:24, right?

Yes - admittedly very pathetic - but dust is the last thing left of it all.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-02-24 04:14   [Quote] 
Looking forward to an upgrade based on what I am reading here. Thanks for putting this one together!

Kind regards,
Overnitefreak
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
thailand.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-02-24 06:00   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:
robsam wrote:

I looked at it again and strictly speaking, there are even two settings in this film that describe your observation:
1. There is another scene in the movie: At minute 38.31 "Watch me now I'm going down",

Yeah the part right before he goes into the solo on Conehead. The 1978 band with Vinnie and Arthur played the funk out of it and it's great that it's on this video. The best version ever of Conehead is on the Mid Hudson Civic Center, Poughkeepsie 1978-09-21 soundboard recording which is on the tracker and came from my collection. I got the tape from a guy who got it from the guy who got it from Frank's recording engineer right after the concert... Frank told him to give them a copy! Frank was so generous to his fans. The Berlin soundboard 1978-02-15 was also leaked by FZ himself. There are quite a few recordings we have due to Frank's generosity... Crush All Boxes, Chalk Pie, etc. Thanks Frank wherever you are!

Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2018-02-24 09:52   [Quote] 
robsam wrote:
Pittylabelle wrote:
robsam wrote:

Yeah the part right before he goes into the solo on Conehead. The 1978 band with Vinnie and Arthur played the funk out of it and it's great that it's on this video. The best version ever of Conehead is on the Mid Hudson Civic Center, Poughkeepsie 1978-09-21 soundboard recording which is on the tracker and came from my collection. I got the tape from a guy who got it from the guy who got it from Frank's recording engineer right after the concert... Frank told him to give them a copy! Frank was so generous to his fans. The Berlin soundboard 1978-02-15 was also leaked by FZ himself. There are quite a few recordings we have due to Frank's generosity... Crush All Boxes, Chalk Pie, etc. Thanks Frank wherever you are!
Huh, never heard of that before. Anyway, thanks guys and of course thanks Frank. That being said, i hope we will see another rebroadcast one day.

Picabo
canada.gif
Post 2018-02-24 15:19   [Quote] 
Thank you!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-25 05:50   [Quote] 
Watched it last night -- the improvement was immediately noticeable. Thanks Pity!

Right at the end of the opening credits, a melody is shown on the staff. Anybody recognize it? The band is playing "Pound", but it's not that.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-02-25 13:14   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
Watched it last night -- the improvement was immediately noticeable. Thanks Pity!

Right at the end of the opening credits, a melody is shown on the staff. Anybody recognize it? The band is playing "Pound", but it's not that.

Do you mean this melody? Screenshot in the attachment.

Maybe someone here, who can read music, can play it?

BTW, thanks for your feedback!
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
rubbershirt
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-25 18:55   [Quote] 
That's the 15th measure of The Black Page #1. You can hear this at minute 2:48 of The Black Page Drum Solo/Black Page #1 on Zappa In New York CD version

Last edited by rubbershirt on 2018-02-25 18:59; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-25 18:57   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:
oofers wrote:

Do you mean this melody? Screenshot in the attachment.

Maybe someone here, who can read music, can play it?

BTW, thanks for your feedback!

Yes, that's the one. I played it myself and although I am certain I botched the rhythms (the whole measure is nested inside a triplet), I didn't recognize the pitches. It is of the same ilk as, but is not, "The Black Page" or "Sinister Footwear". Of that I am sure.

This upload actually subtly introduces another consideration: going forward, should new videos and upgrades to videos be a simple file as this is?

Back in the day, I really related to unicrayon's manifesto of "art lovers, craft knife owners, shelf fillers & printer users". That really fit me to a tee. I had the time to indulge my collecting/hoarding hobby and got a certain satisfaction from seeing all the Zappateers matching spines clustered together on my bookcase. But with getting older and life getting busier, and especially, with technological advancements, this just isn't important to me anymore.

If you have a smart TV connected to your network, it's so effortless now -- as soon as I downloaded Pity's mkv file I was able to watch it on the big screen. Chapters are there, no need wait to burn and print a cover. In fact nowadays when I do download a VIDEO_TS folder, it's actually a nuisance. Because I can just watch the .VOB files wirelessly anyway, I'm not about to burn to media just for the sake of chapters. (But I do miss them when I do this)

Anyway.... not that anyone's asking, but I love the idea of just a single file with chapters.

But I am still asking.... what's the melody in the screen grab?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-25 19:07   [Quote] 
rubbershirt wrote:
That's the 15th measure of The Black Page #1. You can hear this at minute 3:51 of The Black Page Drum Solo/Black Page #1 on Zappa In New York CD version

You are correct sir! I thought I recognized it when I played it, so then I went to check my scores for TBP and just didn't see it, and decided I was wrong. But there it is, measure 15, plain as day.

Something else that threw me off -- seeing the "D2" chord made me think of TBP right away, but in my copy, the D2 is not printed with that phrase as it is the fragment in the video -- although plenty of other "2" chords are in my score.

Anyway, thanks for helping me scratch that itch.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
craigiebaby
Poster
EU.gif
Post 2018-02-25 22:03   [Quote] 
Great stuff, thanks a lot.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-02-27 00:42   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
This upload actually subtly introduces another consideration: going forward, should new videos and upgrades to videos be a simple file as this is?

Back in the day, I really related to unicrayon's manifesto of "art lovers, craft knife owners, shelf fillers & printer users". That really fit me to a tee. I had the time to indulge my collecting/hoarding hobby and got a certain satisfaction from seeing all the Zappateers matching spines clustered together on my bookcase. But with getting older and life getting busier, and especially, with technological advancements, this just isn't important to me anymore.

If you have a smart TV connected to your network, it's so effortless now -- as soon as I downloaded Pity's mkv file I was able to watch it on the big screen. Chapters are there, no need wait to burn and print a cover. In fact nowadays when I do download a VIDEO_TS folder, it's actually a nuisance. Because I can just watch the .VOB files wirelessly anyway, I'm not about to burn to media just for the sake of chapters. (But I do miss them when I do this)

Anyway.... not that anyone's asking, but I love the idea of just a single file with chapters.

Interesting point!

Well, if I download a VIDEO_TS folder today, that's not necessarily a nuisance for me. I usually burn the VIDEO_TS folder of the downloaded torrents directly to DVD. Software player, such as the VLC, don't care about the matter if I give him a burned DVD or "only" the VIDEO_TS folder structure. The great thing: He present me the DVD as it is, including menu, as on a regular burned DVD. But to save space on my hard drives, I burn these things most direkt to a playable DVD.

I also love the idea of ​​having only a single file with chapters. But more for the following reasons: Unfortunately, my current private and professional life situation does not allow it that I can study the materia as intensively as people like unicrayon once did for example: the process of pure digitizing alone, is already extremely time-consuming: you have to maintain the equipment and prepare accordingly. The cassette to be digitized must be completely rewound several times - OK, I have to admid that this added effort is still being the smallest expense. Laughing

To obtain an error-free transfer of the cassette, several complete test runs of the cassette must be recorded - each time in real time. For each of these test runs, the image must be exactly observed. These are then, depending on the sound carrier or video, several hours of pure observation and / or listening time. Each of these test shots has other, random video interference or sound interference. Particularly vulnerable is VHS material. Some of these random interference are then so disturbing that a continuation, maybe in short before the end of the tape, make a further transfer pointless and you have to start all over again.

To create a MKV file with chapters is only a matter of a few minutes - of course if you already have a proper track list with exact edit points in seconds or milliseconds. Of course you can do that very conscientiously - sometimes this can take another and more hours.

To crown a project with a DVD menu and / or a suitably tuned DVD cover is then again a completely different matter. Depending on how elaborate and loving you do that - again another larger period of time is to be invested. Maybe days or even weeks of research and Photoshop work - who knows.

Of course, the whole thing takes place in the your free time mind and it's free for everybody. And of course you always have to be aware that later bootleggers also misunderstand your work for their own purposes.

So, under this requirements, you have to be damn enthusiastic - like only a few Zappateers here.

All in all so no overly motivating prerequisites to do such a good job here.

Therefore, I always bow to people like unicrayon, who were active in this domain here on Zappatters for many years.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 3 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Videos All times are GMT

Jump to: