Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Roxy box
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2018-02-12 18:43   [Quote] 
JLP may have been the one who got the boot. Regardless whose version you believe (FZ: he wanted a raise vs JLP: he wanted to go more commercial with his repertoire), it's safe to say the parting of ways was anything but amicable.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-12 19:56   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:
Re: Farther O'Blivion rehearsal, has anyone figured out what the chords for FZ soloing are? It starts with B minor something, then goes to G, then before the fourth chord of D major the third has the root note of E-flat, but it's hard to put my finger on what the exact chord voicing is. A diminished chord of some sort?

I actually think it's just a plain ol' Eb major. It does sound odd because it's foreign to the tonal center. Zappa's note choices are also straight out of Eb major (with no Ab, so almost major pentatonic, except that he does play D).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-12 22:25   [Quote] 
The third chord sounds to me like an Ab with an Eb bass.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-02-13 16:19   [Quote] 
The box just arrived.Exclamation cooler

Purchased from amazon.com (US)
Shipped: Feb.4th
Delivery:Feb.13th
Total costs:51,71
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-13 16:56   [Quote] 
Speaking of the rehearsal version of "Farther O'Blivion," does anyone else think the intro could be some sort of parody of the intro of "Watermelon Man" from Head Hunters?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-13 17:42   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:

Did you listen past the opening guitar-less vamp? That first time, George is certainly playing Ab/Eb, but he's resolving it to Eb later. I can particularly hear this at 3:30. He comes in with Ab/Eb, then resolves to Eb, then does it all again before the next D chord. The next time through, at about 3:56, he comes in with Eb, goes up to Ab/Eb, then back down.

Also, for the whole 4-chord progression, the bass is sticking to roots (and octaves) and fifths. On the third chord, the bass often plays Eb to Bb -- further evidence (to my ears at least), that the chord is Eb.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-13 17:46   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
Speaking of the rehearsal version of "Farther O'Blivion," does anyone else think the intro could be some sort of parody of the intro of "Watermelon Man" from Head Hunters?

Ha! I wouldn't have thought that, but it's certainly not a stretch. The vocalization does sound a lot like it. And Herbie's album had been released just a few weeks prior, so that fits. Then again, FZ often used weird vocalizations from his band members. But I'd like to think you are correct.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-13 17:50   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

Did you listen past the opening guitar-less vamp? That first time, George is certainly playing Ab/Eb, but he's resolving it to Eb later. I can particularly hear this at 3:30. He comes in with Ab/Eb, then resolves to Eb, then does it all again before the next D chord. The next time through, at about 3:56, he comes in with Eb, goes up to Ab/Eb, then back down.

Yes, on the later cycles through the vamp he plays a standard Eb.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2018-02-13 17:53   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
I don't think Ian was sacked. He wanted to go into session work.

I heard from a family member that he was sacked/resigned over a disagreement about royalties and production credits ie he got fuck all and FZ got the lot... he went on to a lucrative career as a session man. Oddest sighting was playing 'coconuts' on the SPIRIT album FARTHER ALONG
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2018-02-13 19:15   [Quote] 
There's always rumours in situations like these. Even FZ' line from that period about Ian "babysitting" seemed like cover-up more than anything else.

Yeah, that chord sounds like E-flat major alright, with the odd bit of augmentation. It was the lead guitar bit under the first appearance of the E-flat root note (no GD keys) that made me think it was "diminished".
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2018-02-14 06:18   [Quote] 
Illuminating! Really bowled over by this offering. Perhaps for the reasons cited above. Frank's guitar being less prominent, blending with the band. Bruce a bit more subdued as well. Funked up jazz band cabaret. And I think Napoleon's strip club sax works great here. Only did one pass thus far. Time to start from the top and focus on the tunes. More serendipity: Bolic sessions, studio chatter: FZ cites Larry Bunker as someone who wouldn't crack under pressure. I've been obsessing over his work w/Paul Horn leading up to the Roxy binge. What is the first name Frank calls out? Not Johnny Griffin, right? Who is it?

A massive release, full of surprises. Untreated Frank! And not just 'cause it's live. Technology upped the amps on everything live post 73-74, I guess. I thought I may have had my fill of this band, but NO NO NO!

A Big WOW.

PS as for the Ian gossip, wasn't he busting up from Ruth around this time? That's as good a reason as any to go to Florida and babysit the relatives kids, re-charge.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
amnesiavivace
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-02-14 19:42   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
... certainly deserved to be called the MOTHERS...

Actually is trilling to have this band introduced as THE MOTHERS.

Can you help me tell what Ruth is playing during the intros of the last show? tunes

Last edited by amnesiavivace on 2018-02-14 19:52; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2018-02-14 19:51   [Quote] 
amnesiavivace wrote:

Can you help me tell what Ruth is playing during the intros of the last show?

"Moon River"
 [Profile]  [PM] 
amnesiavivace
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-02-14 19:53   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
amnesiavivace wrote:

Can you help me tell what Ruth is playing during the intros of the last show?

"Moon River"

I'm an asshole!

Also Bruce is playing something?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
amnesiavivace
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2018-02-14 20:04   [Quote] 
amnesiavivace wrote:
Also Bruce is playing something?

Bolero?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 19 of 25 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: