Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
The Frank Zappa “Best Of” Challenge  
JulesAteJim
Post 2018-01-10 16:46   [Quote] 
This is something I have been thinking over the past few days, and I thought I'd put this challenge to all you Zappateers.

Here is the situation: you have been chosen to create what would be — in your estimation — the "essential" Frank Zappa collection. These are the rules for the set:

- You may pull tracks only from albums officially released during Frank's lifetime, no posthumous releases, with the exception of Civilization Phase III and Läther.
- The set can be as long as a 9CD box, or as short as a single CD (if you think you can distill it all down to just one).
- You are free to utilize guitar solos from live albums to create new "songs" a la SUNPYG (and give them titles, if you can think of one).
- The track sequencing for each disc is completely up to you; they can be done chronologically, at random, alphabetically, or each disc can have its own theme.

How would you do it? What would your essential collection look like?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2018-01-13 00:29   [Quote] 
I did several of those, ranging from 2 CDs to 5 hours.

Not sure I have the nerve to type all that down though.

cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2018-01-13 13:34   [Quote] 
Okay... I have one folder on my harddrives which includes my favorite songs by all rock/pop acts I like. There's currently ~1800 tracks in there, alphabetically ordered by songtitle, normalised, some edited... I've been building that up for 5 years or so. Below in the screenshot you can see the Zappa material among that.
I don't like to have too long tracks in that folder, enjoy the wild quick succession of all the diverse material (remember there's nearly 1700 tracks by other bands between what you see below), so "edit" means for example I faded out a guitar solo. I love those guitar solos, but as I said... no 8-12 min tracks here please.

I'm sorry there are a few posthumous things in there, but I can't identify all of them by title and so left them in. There's also a few unofficial things in there I guess (I think I so far added 78-09-21's Mo's Vacation & Village + Greasey from 80-10-17).
I have another similarly huge FZ-compilation where I actually put some thought into the running order, but this alphabetical one is more up to date. Looks like 5 or 6 CDs.

edit:
Oh - now I see there's also a track by Diva Zappa in there... search engine mismanagement.

edit 2:
I need to add a few tracks. No idea why for example Big Swifty and Sinister Footwear II are missing.
(probably too long and the editing options didn't satisfy me?); and no For Calvin?

ohyeah.jpg
 Description:  
 Filesize:  276.79 KB
 Viewed:  174 Time(s)

ohyeah.jpg

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: