Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Civilization Phaze III - 2017 edition ?  
chrisfromparis
france.gif
Post 2017-11-14 22:30   [Quote] 
I was wandering in a FNAC store yesterday and noticed that they had something unusual in their Zappa section... Apparently this is Civilization Phase III, 2017 edition. I wasn't able to buy it but it's not too expensive, it looks nice and I'm curious to know if the book and CDs look similar to the 1994 edition.
Has anybody bought this new version yet ?

Last edited by chrisfromparis on 2017-11-15 08:04; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
chrisfromparis
france.gif
Post 2017-11-14 22:31   [Quote] 
Back
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TwentySmallCigars
canada.gif
Post 2017-11-15 03:32   [Quote] 
This is actually the original Barking Pumpkin version, which initially (always?) came packaged in this outer box, unlike the Zappa Records version, which did not.

The outside cover has more of a matte finish vs a glossier cover on the Zappa Records version. It is slightly smaller & thinner as well.

The Barking Pumpkin discs have a silver Barking Pumpkin logo, while the Zappa Records discs are black text on black discs.

The booklet is slightly different also. The second page of the BP version is the onion skin pic of the 'flying bug' while the second page of the ZR version is the title page backed with the 'General Notes' section. The onion skin paper in the BP version is thinner.

There is a slight difference in the mastering as well, I prefer the BP version personally, but I'd welcome some opinions from others.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
chrisfromparis
france.gif
Post 2017-11-15 08:00   [Quote] 
Very interesting. I didn't know the BPR version had this outer box. I'm only familiar with the Zappa Records "box-less" version. Thank you for the information.

So it may not be new, or a repress, or a new edition ; just the 1994 BPR version that is now more widely available.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Thinman
EU.gif
Post 2017-11-15 14:16   [Quote] 
There is no newly manufactured 2017 edition of CPIII. It is leftover old stock BPR that is now distributed by Universal.

One disc of my Zappa Records edition went defective and I replaced it with the "new" BPR one this year. If there is really a difference in mastering, I don't hear it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TwentySmallCigars
canada.gif
Post 2017-11-15 18:57   [Quote] 
The Barking Pumpkin version is slightly brighter. Notice that I said 'slightly'. You really have to listen both versions side by side.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pepe Nusbaum
Power Poster
EU.gif
Post 2017-11-16 01:52   [Quote] 
Somebody run a spectral

If you just been lowered down here on tv by a wire connected to a brown leather harness, forced by a crazy person to insert a mysterious imported lamp into the reproductive orifice of a lady harpist, and you were a dwarf.....would you do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVafHLqjRmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdx7M5ufDfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ip7U-aAMTc
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
taurus
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2017-11-16 07:34   [Quote] 
When that album was initially released, in Toronto it was not stocked in all record stores and if you did find it, it was expensive. Always going for $60+. I ordered mine from Barfko, can't remember what they were charging.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
orontea
Post 2017-11-17 11:03   [Quote] 
Still one of my favourites.
Even more so the older I get and I am getting old fast.

Have the Euro Version. The packaging is sensitive as fark.
So I bought the BP Version as well and kept it sealed so one day I can hand it over to a person who is interested and say:
"I'm way to old for this sensitiv packaging it is your turn now to play this so often that it will look like a piece of garbage. And you should! It is an amazing piece of work."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: