Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
upcoming official blu-ray :Summer '82: When Zappa Came to Sicily  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
rupert pupkin
Poster
france.gif
Post 2017-11-04 03:40   [Quote] 
Hi,

sorry if this has been posted before...

this looks like an official release...
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22359
Embarassed

I need to erase regularly my internet bookmark history.... sorrrry.... Embarassed

here it is :

Summer '82: When Zappa Came to Sicily Blu-ray
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22355

Special Features:
Never-before-seen concert and backstage footage with Frank Zappa
*A limited theatrical run of Summer '82: When Zappa Came to Sicily starts in LA on November 5.

11/5 - Los Angeles - The Regent Theater - Q&A with Dweezil & Moon Zappa + Steve Vai
11/17 - Philadelphia - PhilaMOCA - Q&A with Dweezil Zappa
11/20 - Boston - The Regent Theatre - Q&A with Dweezil Zappa

looks like more like a documentary with some footage snippets (it seems that there's a bit of Baby Snakes movie here...) + some recent interviews of Gail...

There's a trailer - but that's not enough for me to guess how much priceless concert footage (I mean, uncut song - at least one complete song performance) is there...

we all know that the 1982 Summer tour was something special... A special very small guitar for Frank Zappa (means and implies : some unique tone, and nasty guitar solos....), Steve Vai on stunt guitar, etc...

we got a taste of of these concerts on the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore (I don't remember which volume it was...)
although we got some very interesting shows in the zappateers database, we are lacking some superb audience recording and SBD recording contrary to some other much more documented with a superb sound quality era...

well, do you think that we hope have some real footage of the 1982 tour ?
I'm intrigued by this :
Never-before-seen concert and backstage footage with Frank Zappa

I would love to see live on stage The Mummy Anthem in 1982 and some other number...

I've seen there's a theatrical release...

Did someone already see it and can tell us what song are in their entirety and from what era they are ?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TwentySmallCigars
canada.gif
Post 2017-11-07 17:37   [Quote] 
Yes there is a thread on this already:

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=347308#347308
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-01-26 07:58   [Quote] 
TwentySmallCigars wrote:

No there isn't....
What happened to the thread that is supposed to be at the end of the link TwentySmallCigars posted above? Any chance of telling us loyal Zappateers why it has disappeared?

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-01-26 10:17   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:

No there isn't....
What happened to the thread that is supposed to be at the end of the link TwentySmallCigars posted above? Any chance of telling us loyal Zappateers why it has disappeared?

+1

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-01-26 11:20   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:
+1

I believe the 'missing' thread had (amongst other things) a link to a review of the film you did on your website...

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-01-26 11:46   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
Idiot wrote:
+1

I believe the 'missing' thread had (amongst other things) a link to a review of the film you did on your website...

Perhaps that's why the thread has gone AWOL!

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2018-01-26 12:47   [Quote] 
Question

[Profile]  [PM] 
boguspomp
Busy Poster
italy.gif
Post 2018-01-29 13:49   [Quote] 
Here's a review I read a month ago.

Draw your own conclusions...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Summer-82-When-Zappa-Came-to-Sicily-Blu-ray/182207/
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scherbe2003
Post 2018-01-30 12:02   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2018-09-16 22:19   [Quote] 
Just watched this...I thought it was a nice wee film with some very nice moments (DZ playing a blistering solo at the school ceremony for example) and some interesting insights and sentiments.

Is the guitar Vai plays during the 82 footage of the Mammy Anthem FZ's fretless by any chance? It just looks like he's sliding a lot for notes...

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-22 20:05   [Quote] 
Just watched this. If anyone wasn't sure if they should bother with giving this a go, you certainly will not be disappointed.

I didn't delve deep enough when I first heard about it. I thought it was in the vein of "The Freak Out List" -- just an unofficial pseudo-documentary with a hodgepodge of clips and talking heads with little connection to Zappa.

Turns out, it's fully ZFT-approved, with Gail, Moon, Dweezil, Diva, Joe T, Vai, and Massimo involved. Probably the most effective use of Nordegg's footage to date - basically documenting the unfolding disaster of the Palermo show.

Some observations:

- I always thought Massimo came off as annoying as hell in "The Dub Room Special". He's much more likable here. And no nose-picking.
- Great to watch Joe T, Gail, and Moon looking at the Nordegg vault footage of the concert. Makes you realize how much of this there has to be.
- Diva & Dweezil mention how FZ wouldn't go out on any kind of sight-seeing while touring. Just hotel to show to hotel. As they note, this means that when Massimo surprised FZ with a trip to Partinico, it probably meant a lot to him. I love the footage of FZ arriving at soundcheck and talking about his trip earlier that day, sharing it with Vai, Mars, and Ray. He actually seems moved.
- It wasn't just about the soccer victory a few days prior. The concert also occurred on the same day that some saint is to be revered (parades, etc). And the fans weren't allowed to even get close to the stage. The organizers had no idea what they were doing.
- You can really see how honored they (Zappa family) were by the reception given to them. It was clear that the trip to Sicily was special for them.
- I always thought that all of Nordegg's footage had the fish-eye-lens effect, but there are some points where you can actually see him slide it off.

Anyway -- just wanted to suggest it to anyone who hasn't seen it and wasn't sure if it is worth it. Someone in a previous thread somewhere mentioned that it was on Amazon Prime now. That's how I decided to give it a try. Thanks to whoever that was.

This also makes me realize how we really do need more of this tour released.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-01-25 22:18   [Quote] 
hoops wrote:
Just watched this...I thought it was a nice wee film with some very nice moments...

That about sums it up for me. It certainly does have one glaring flaw (a 20 plus minute one!) but I do not want to criticize it here.

One moment actually startled me. Big emotional scene, Diva crying, being made an honorary citizen in Grandpa's locale. Cut to
Frank years earlier dissing the very same town! If I was a Z kid, I wouldn't go back there...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2019-01-26 21:30   [Quote] 
This is an official release sanctioned by the ZFT so of course I had to buy it!

It's not just a straight documentary - it's a film by acclaimed Italian director Salvo Cuccia, and it blends the story of his last journey with his father to Palermo only to arrive too late to see the concert, with Massimo Bassoil's tales of his friendship with Frank, and Frank's visit to the birthplace of his father, and the wider Zappa family's visit to Sicily many years later. The footage is vintage from Thomas Nordegg and Cuccia Snr. and modern, from the filmmaker himself.

The blend is subtle and effective as you would expect from a filmmaker with Cuccia's accreditation - this is no cut and paste hatchet job, the story inevitably builds towards the ill-fated Palermo concert. For the first time, the fans get to tell their side of the story and of their disappointment as Nordegg's footage shows Frank and the band could see absolutely nothing from the stage.

Smothers earns his money - and analyses the situation perfectly in the "bunker" while the band wait for a safe exit from the stadium, and FZ - ever calm - declares coolly after donning a bullet proof vest that he needs his cigarettes.

The film ends with the Zappa families visit to Sicily and to the tiny house Frank Snr. left. Dweezil talks poignantly about the bravery of refugees, and all of the children (except Ahmet who didn't travel to Sicily) are moved almost to tears at points.

I too like oofers thoroughly enjoyed this and would recommend it to all. Remember it is a documentary by a filmmaker and not a cut and paste job by a journalist - and you probably will too.

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: