Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
A quick rundown of the best officially released CD versions!
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner
frazer
newzealand.gif
Post 2016-10-09 01:40   [Quote] 
Haven't been around all that much of late, but this here thread has certainly grabbed my attention. Thanks Pittylabelle, & JWB!

Have been doing a bit of CB listening lately though, after acquiring one or two new sources from the CBCD catalog, also including a few vinyl transfers [!]

Anyway, I see I'm covered to around 80% or so, corresponding to the above list of the best CD releases, -[though the omissions are covered on vinyl...slightly off topic there (*Edit: & totally out of place actually..LOL!), so pardon me]

Noted the inclusion & discussion of the so-called 'mono' release of Safe As Milk by Sundazed, with interest after following the link provided. Yes, when I bought the CD on its release & listened, red flags did pop up for me & I was a bit disappointed with it overall... Oh well, perhaps one day this important album will be done justice with a proper mastering.

And Pitty.. Did you get a chance to 'go' on the Tanaka/Decals remaster yet? If so, what were/are your thoughts on it, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again for the thread...Very inneresting, & handy too! Must now try to make inroads on a few of the missing CD releases, above-mentioned, in my Beefheart collection here....Particularly the Edsel / Legendary A&M Sessions release!!!!

And to you all, all the best, & HaPpy Listening!

tunes

Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-10-20 21:07   [Quote] 
frazer wrote:
And Pitty.. Did you get a chance to 'go' on the Tanaka/Decals remaster yet? If so, what were/are your thoughts on it, if you don't mind me asking?

No problem, we are here to discuss such things, right? Wink

Yes, received a copy of this japanese CD from TwentySmallCigars.

Compared this copy to other CDs, but I really canít observe an improvement to my Enigma-Retro 7 73394-2 CD copy.
My overall impression is, that this japanese CD sounds a little bit more hissy.

BTW, does anybody know what they've used for this release? The original US master tapes?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
StrokeTheBoots
Busy Poster
Post 2017-10-07 11:59   [Quote] 
Hey folks. I'm a bit irritated and maybe you can help me out.

I bought this version in my local record store, as a NEW sealed copy - declared as new, looks brand new.

https://www.discogs.com/Captain-Beefheart-And-The-Magic-Band-The-Spotlight-Kid-Clear-Spot/release/395039

Release in 1990 and listed as such on page 1 of this thread.

But since it's new...isn't it just from the latest box set. But then there is no indication of that, nowhere.

[Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2017-10-07 13:53   [Quote] 
StrokeTheBoots wrote:
But since it's new...isn't it just from the latest box set. But then there is no indication of that, nowhere.

I don't know if this helps but the two albums were not coupled on the box. I have bought this one recently sealed as well so I presume it's still the same version that it never got out of print.

cheers

StrokeTheBoots
Busy Poster
Post 2017-10-07 14:04   [Quote] 
Galeans wrote:
StrokeTheBoots wrote:

I don't know if this helps but the two albums were not coupled on the box. I have bought this one recently sealed as well so I presume it's still the same version that it never got out of print.

cheers

That info helps a lot! Thanks Smile ...the confusing came from knowing about the boxset and not knowing if this issue makes sense then...but since it is not coupled in the box I am glad having bought it Smile

[Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2017-10-09 05:12   [Quote] 
StrokeTheBoots wrote:
Galeans wrote:
StrokeTheBoots wrote:

cheers

That info helps a lot! Thanks Smile ...the confusing came from knowing about the boxset and not knowing if this issue makes sense then...but since it is not coupled in the box I am glad having bought it Smile

??? first 1990 cd release. the 2fer. Until the box in 2014 that was the only way to get 'em on cd. Probably just old stock. It's superfluous now unless one cares about the packaging. Which is tastefully done, so it is a keeper. Even tho' I have it in the OUT pile I can't part with it for that reason.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: