Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
how many of us ever met Frank?
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
pappazappa
italy.gif
Post 2017-08-12 11:58   [Quote] 
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
^^Nice stories.

Olá Yaz, everything is alright?
I'm going to lunch, let's talk again soon...

SandrOliva
italy.gif
Post 2017-08-12 12:09   [Quote] 
No, The "How Could Imagine" album didn't bug her.
It was having renamed the band "THE GRANDMOTHERS OF INVENTION" (1994 summer tour) and our growing success (we had signed for the biggest booking agency in Europe, our fees skyrocketing, and almost signing for Polygram with a big advance check) which drove her mad.
For the band's name she was damn right, the ex-Mothers had given away the names MOTHERS, MOTHERS OF INVENTION and ANY NAME WHICH MIGHT CONFUSE THE PUBLIC ABOUT BEING ONE OF THOSE BANDS a couple years before Frank's death, as part of a law suit for past royalties.
They had some money from a ill and infuriated Frank, but had to sign a paper in which they gave him the ownership of those names (the first record contract wasn't signed by Frank, but by ALL THE BAND MEMBERS, so THE MOTHERS etc wasn't Frank alone, but also Ray, Roy, Jim and maybe Elliot).
Only THE GRANDMOTHERS name was allowed, as it had nothing to do with Frank.
I was the only one who voted against EXTENDING the name of the band (more of it in the book I am writing about my years with them).
But as for boicotting our work, that was absolutely EVIL. She made our contract with Polygram vanish, and she might have talked to our booking agency too, as they immediatly stopped promoting the band (and didn't renew the contract).
In the end this law suit stopped us touring for THREE YEARS (during which Jimmy appeared with EVERY cover band around for peanuts, destroying the Grandmothers potential when we went back on the road)
In 1994 we had gigs canceled in mass, and when years later we toured the states, the it happened the same.
Strangest of strangest, ALL the club in LA which had booked us (The Roxy, The Wiskey and others) canceled the gig.
In the end it was the owner of the Knitting Factory in NYC who had just opened his LA club who booked the band because he said ("I don't care of who might phone me to cancel the gig, I want the band and they will play here".
We always suspected that there was Gail behind this all, hich is very likely.

pappazappa
italy.gif
Post 2017-08-12 13:56   [Quote] 
Thanks for this detailed information, Sandro.
My collaborative offer is always valid anyway.

bye, PZ

Mr_Green_Genes
Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-08-13 13:10   [Quote] 
Hi Pappa, a shame I can't lunch a good Pasta from Italy with a good Mediterranean tomato sauce with you. One day, maybe but, yes, we can talk here!

So was John Smothers hired right away following the Rainbow attempt? I find funny in the We don't mess around video when he says Frank won't touch politics.

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2017-08-13 14:38   [Quote] 
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

So was John Smothers hired right away following the Rainbow attempt?

FZ said in the long Society Pages interview that he went through two or three bodyguards before he found Smothers.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-08-13 18:02   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
FZ said in the long Society Pages interview that he went through two or three bodyguards before he found Smothers,

including Lorenzo "Bobby" Adams, second tenor of The Calvanes.

Here's Bobby Adams singing lead on Chapel Of Love.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 7 of 7 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: