Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Rollo (RSD 2017 Single vs. Little Dots) - The track "Rollo" is a complete different edit ...
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy
Author Message
Pittylabelle
Contributor
Joined: 2006-03-16
Posts: 4691
Location: Elsewhere in the Fatherland
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-04-25 23:01   [Quote] 
Side A "Rollo" is a complete different edit as the version of the album "Little Dots".

Finally, I was able to listen to the single today, without ruffle or excitement:

I think on this single, we have a different, kind of an unprocessed, state of the track - still the same track but different.

The easier audible points are:
1. Single version: At the beginning of the track you can hear Zappa is counting in: "One, two, three, four ..."
2. Album version: On the "ending chord" you can hear an additional guitar.
3. The audience applause is also different.

The more "difficult" points are, that the two versions were processed differently, not only soundwise but it seems
to me that the version on the album has some different instrument edits too.

I think that could be meant with: "Rollo in its complete form ..." The back then single announcement of RSD 2017

Another difference are of course the track details on the cover:
1. Single version: 9:06, 2004/2016
2. Album version: 9:04, 2005/2016
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Joined: 2007-02-01
Posts: 2571
Post 2017-04-26 01:14   [Quote] 
I think there is a sample on Peter Wolf's shitty record. Please get back to me.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
Joined: 2006-03-16
Posts: 4691
Location: Elsewhere in the Fatherland
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-04-26 02:48   [Quote] 
After another re-check and "Zappateers expert discussion", for now we come to the conclusion that it seems that
"Rollo" on "RSD 2017" and on "Little Dots" are indeed different versions, not simply edits of the same version.

"RSD 2017" = Early Kansas City - effectively agreeing RSD 2017 und AUD Early solo passages (5:51-6:27).
"Little Dots" = Late Kansas City - according to IINK it's from the Late Show and from another "unknown venue and date".

The different solo is probably from the "unknown venue and date".

More details follow soon - stay tuned! Wink

Special thanks to flambay!
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
Joined: 2006-03-16
Posts: 4691
Location: Elsewhere in the Fatherland
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-04-26 12:47   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
I think there is a sample on Peter Wolf's shitty record. Please get back to me.


What do you mean exactly? hmm
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Galeans
Contributor
Joined: 2005-11-12
Posts: 3553
Contributor
Post 2017-04-26 15:59   [Quote] 
Nice find, Pitty Smile

Brainpang was probably only kidding.

cheers

_________________
"Grouch!"
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
Joined: 2012-02-07
Posts: 3035
Location: Dwarf Nebula
england.gif
Post 2017-04-26 16:07   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:
brainpang wrote:
I think there is a sample on Peter Wolf's shitty record. Please get back to me.

What do you mean exactly? hmm

I agree with Galeans, I'm guessing it's late-night, 'after a few beers' humour by Mr pang..... but I can't be sure....

_________________
''Just consider this..... You can be scared when it gets too real...''
(FZ: ''It Just Might Be A One-Shot Deal'')

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
Joined: 2006-03-16
Posts: 4691
Location: Elsewhere in the Fatherland
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-04-26 22:23   [Quote] 
Our current findings around the different officially released Rollo versions from 1972 Kansas City & Elsewhere:

RSD 2017: entire track is from 1972 12 02 (Early) Kansas City.

Little Dots: 0:00-3:04 portion is from 1972 12 02 (Early) Kansas City.
Anything from 3:04 onwards (long sustained chord with bass solo, leading into Tony Duran solo)
is from neither of the Kansas City shows, therefore to be labeled "from unknown venue and date".

As far as we can tell, no portion from the 1972 12 02 (Late) Kansas City show
has been included in the RSD or in the Little Dots release.

Any further informations or possible corrections around these findings are more than welcome.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Joined: 2007-02-01
Posts: 2571
Post 2017-04-27 00:16   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
Pittylabelle wrote:
brainpang wrote:
I think there is a sample on Peter Wolf's shitty record. Please get back to me.

What do you mean exactly? hmm

I agree with Galeans, I'm guessing it's late-night, 'after a few beers' humour by Mr pang..... but I can't be sure....


I can live with that.
No offense to Pitty, sorry if I bothered you.
I just get a kick out of that Peter Wolf thread where you stand guard.
It's my shortcoming to define you by it.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Vaultmeister
Joined: 2006-11-23
Posts: 57
Post 2017-04-27 12:09   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:
Our current findings around the different officially released Rollo versions from 1972 Kansas City & Elsewhere:

RSD 2017: entire track is from 1972 12 02 (Early) Kansas City.

Little Dots: 0:00-3:04 portion is from 1972 12 02 (Early) Kansas City.
Anything from 3:04 onwards (long sustained chord with bass solo, leading into Tony Duran solo)
is from neither of the Kansas City shows, therefore to be labeled "from unknown venue and date".

As far as we can tell, no portion from the 1972 12 02 (Late) Kansas City show
has been included in the RSD or in the Little Dots release.

Any further informations or possible corrections around these findings are more than welcome.


The source for both versions are the same. Only the count-off in the beginning of the RSD single is the difference.
Joe
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
Joined: 2006-07-25
Posts: 1693
france.gif
Post 2017-04-27 12:27   [Quote] 
Thx!

_________________
Alialiala...
Alialialalilalialila...

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
Joined: 2006-03-16
Posts: 4691
Location: Elsewhere in the Fatherland
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-04-27 18:20   [Quote] 
Vaultmeister wrote:
The source for both versions are the same. Only the count-off in the beginning of the RSD single is the difference.
Joe


Thank you Joe for the clarification.

In addition to this, can you confirm that on "Little Dots" anything from 3:04 onwards
is "from unknown venue and date"?

This part is different on the RSD single.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
Joined: 2005-04-30
Posts: 8563
usa.gif
Post 2017-04-27 18:31   [Quote] 
I think he's saying it's not different. I haven't heard the RSD version myself yet.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
Joined: 2006-03-16
Posts: 4691
Location: Elsewhere in the Fatherland
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-04-27 19:05   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
I think he's saying it's not different. I haven't heard the RSD version myself yet.


I know, that's why I said "in addition".
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
flambay
Site Admin
Joined: 2004-11-30
Posts: 6902
Location: over there ... and under here also
EU.gif
Post 2017-04-27 22:31   [Quote] 
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=344781#344781
drdork wrote:
NikZah wrote:
Portland Improvisation

Tycho Brahe?

I guess it's more likely to be an edited version of Hope It Turns Out Wonderful.


Portland Improvisation [10:47] is indeed from the 1972 12 09 (Late) Portland OR show.

0:00-8:31 is a fragment from the "Hope It Turns Out Wonderful" Improvisation,
8:31-10:47 is a fragment from "Little Dots" of the same show.

_________________
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
Joined: 2005-04-30
Posts: 8563
usa.gif
Post 2017-04-28 01:59   [Quote] 
Doing a quick comparison of that spot around 3:04, I would also say the short bass solo and the beginning of Duran's solo in "Rollo" are different between the two releases.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic
 
Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group, TorrentPier © Meithar