Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Your favorite Zappa Synclavier performance/ composition
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Mr_Green_Genes
Busy Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-01-15 16:48   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
The movements and gestures required to play "G-Spot Tornado" or "Goat Polo" on the Synclavier are exactly the same (i.e. loading the appropriate file and pushing the play button), but the music that comes out of the speakers is completely different.

Here you are apparently missing the point that the actual stuff, or physical stuff made by the synclavier comes from the program, the input. That is completely different for the two aforementioned compositions. You can think of the movements and gestures as the electric patterns firing in the transistors of a microchip in order to translate the synclavier program code (the finished compositions) into 0 and 1s (silence or firing), that ultimately will tell your speakers how to behave. These were input by a series of different muscular movements while typing the source code for the composition or whatever the way the synclavier is fed. Besides, I bet one can introduce random elements to the program (so a composition never performs the same twice) or even elements of evolutionary computing, so to add elements of varied response to inputs (say, mics capturing other musicians co-performance).

BTW, have you people seen this here before?
http://www.thecrowdfundingcenter.com/?page=project&id=F4B884

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-01-15 18:46   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
Funny you use Ligeti as an example... a colleague of mine said exactly that... being familiar with recordings of "Atmospheres" for ages, he was still completely floored when experiencing a live performance.

Same here with all of Ligeti's works I had the oportunity to hear live - Atmosphères, Lontano, Lux Aeterna, etc.

And let's not even get into Scelsi or Grisey...

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Here you are apparently missing the point that the actual stuff, or physical stuff made by the synclavier comes from the program, the input. That is completely different for the two aforementioned compositions. You can think of the movements and gestures as the electric patterns firing in the transistors of a microchip in order to translate the synclavier program code (the finished compositions) into 0 and 1s (silence or firing), that ultimately will tell your speakers how to behave. These were input by a series of different muscular movements while typing the source code for the composition or whatever the way the synclavier is fed. Besides, I bet one can introduce random elements to the program (so a composition never performs the same twice) or even elements of evolutionary computing, so to add elements of varied response to inputs (say, mics capturing other musicians co-performance).

...And how exactly does that differ from writing a score? I'm still working on my "performance" here...

Mr_Green_Genes
Busy Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-01-15 19:07   [Quote] 
The paper isn't able to perform the piece... Very Happy

EddieRUKiddingVarese
australia.gif
Post 2017-01-15 21:28   [Quote] 
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

roflol

[Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-01-16 01:46   [Quote] 
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

It is if you can read it and hear it in your head.

EddieRUKiddingVarese
australia.gif
Post 2017-01-16 01:59   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

And if you have an Apple Mac for a Brain...........

[Profile]  [PM] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2017-01-16 06:26   [Quote] 
The way I see it, is that there is a difference between the live performance of a band and the "performance" of a synclavier after one hits the start button.

Then I accept some people don't mind about this difference.

I think a way to explain how I care about that difference is that often I have found myself spending 3-4 times (or even more) the cost of a CD (which I can keep for a lifetime and listen to it countless times) just to experience a live performance (which, IMV, is unique).

EddieRUKiddingVarese
australia.gif
Post 2017-01-16 08:23   [Quote] 
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
yetanother wrote:
The movements and gestures required to play "G-Spot Tornado" or "Goat Polo" on the Synclavier are exactly the same (i.e. loading the appropriate file and pushing the play button), but the music that comes out of the speakers is completely different.

BTW, have you people seen this here before?
http://www.thecrowdfundingcenter.com/?page=project&id=F4B884

very cool response Smile

[Profile]  [PM] 
Mr_Green_Genes
Busy Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-01-16 11:49   [Quote] 
Thanks, except a transistor based chip is really old stuff.

But, since talking about music is just like dancing about archithecture, shut up and playback yer synclavier:

Samba Funk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDjIGV-RbYA

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-01-16 18:28   [Quote] 
EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:
yetanother wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

And if you have an Apple Mac for a Brain...........

No need for a Mac (I use a PC, by the way) - you just have to be a well-trained composer or conductor. Which you'd probably have to be to operate a Synclavier anyway. If there's anyone "performing" in the actual "performance" of a Synclavier piece, it's the machine - not the composer. Exactly as in the performance of an instrumental piece.

EddieRUKiddingVarese
australia.gif
Post 2017-01-16 20:26   [Quote] 
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Thanks, except a transistor based chip is really old stuff.

But, since talking about music is just like dancing about archithecture, shut up and playback yer synclavier:

Samba Funk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDjIGV-RbYA

I'm an old skool kinda guy - shut up and playback yer synclavier = SUAPYS the next release from the ZFT Laughing

[Profile]  [PM] 
Mr_Green_Genes
Busy Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-01-20 08:53   [Quote] 
at

EddieRUKiddingVarese
australia.gif
Post 2017-01-20 08:57   [Quote] 
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
at

very cool

thanks Mr_Green_Genes

[Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 5 of 5 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: