Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Deon Estus
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2017-01-05 19:17   [Quote] 
I suppose I had previously thought that FZ Shows would be shows where FZ actually performed.... albeit with the '87 clonemeister rehearsal exception.....

I hadn't thought about the distinction of FZ actually attending those shows (as well as giving his approval), and now I know the reason it seems sensible.... Although I would still say that particular show seems to fit less in FZ Shows than some of the stuff in Section 18 of The Catalogue: ''Orchestral concerts organised or conducted by FZ''......

On reflection I think if FZ neither organised, attended or conducted (even if he gave his approval) the San Francisco show(s) they should be in FZ Related, if he did then they should be in Section 18....

Sorry for the hijack.

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2017-01-05 19:36   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
On reflection I think if FZ neither organised, attended or conducted (even if he gave his approval) the San Francisco show(s) they should be in FZ Related, if he did then they should be in Section 18....

FZ did attend the San Francisco concerts, and that was it. But "organized" seems to be the tricky concept here. Technically FZ did not "organize" the "Zappa Affair" concerts either (which were organized by the Berkeley Symphony Orchestra), although he was indeed very involved in the production (much more so than with the SF concerts).

Then you have stuff like the Kronos Quartet and Aspen Wind Quintet performances, premiering pieces especially written by FZ for the occasion BUT probably without any further involvement from him (although these are accordingly in "FZ Related" - and come to think about it, he may have attended some of these concerts, I'm not sure about that).

Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2017-01-05 19:45   [Quote] 
I vote for "leave it where it is"

cheers

Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2017-01-05 20:11   [Quote] 
Who knew the death of George Michael would cause such a kerfuffle over at Zappateers.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2017-01-05 23:25   [Quote] 
Yes, It's probably best to just leave things be...... I have no doubt that a lot of thought already went into where to put all that stuff..... It's just that when it was mentioned it seemed a bit of an anomaly to me that the San Francisco Chamber Symphony show wasn't with the other orchestral stuff....

Idiot wrote:
Who knew the death of George Michael would cause such a kerfuffle over at Zappateers.

Six degrees of separation?

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2017-01-06 00:32   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
Yes, It's probably best to just leave things be...... I have no doubt that a lot of thought already went into where to put all that stuff..... It's just that when it was mentioned it seemed a bit of an anomaly to me that the San Francisco Chamber Symphony show wasn't with the other orchestral stuff....

Yes, I guess it should be in the same section of the catalogue, and it may be best to address any inconsistencies regarding the Kronos and Aspen performances too.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2017-01-06 01:04   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:

This is why we need a like button - just love the word kerfuffle

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
rubbershirt
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2017-01-06 02:48   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
(although he missed most of the Yellow Shark shows)

I'm old and my memory sucks, but I thought FZ only missed one show. Maybe he conducted less on one show because we wasn't feeling well. I'm I making shit up? I was at all of those shows
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2017-01-06 02:53   [Quote] 
rubbershirt wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
(although he missed most of the Yellow Shark shows)

I'm old and my memory sucks, but I thought FZ only missed one show. Maybe he conducted less on one show because we wasn't feeling well. I'm I making shit up? I was at all of those shows

I wasn't at the shows, but as I understand it, FZ was present for the first and third Frankfurt shows, and missed the remaining shows in Berlin and Vienna.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2017-01-06 02:57   [Quote] 
Ah, that's it. By 'All shows' I was just thinking of Frankfurt because that's where I was. D'Oh!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
choppadoo
Post 2017-01-08 07:25   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:
Ah, a bass player? Too bad we still don't know the drummer that appears in the 1981 "Two on the Town" news clip with FZ rehearsing "Alien Orifice" (and possibly playing "Inca Roads" judging by the guitar solo vamp).

At first I thought it was Vinnie, but looking at this thread it looks like a guy named Sinclair Lott:
http://forum.zappa.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7073
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2017-01-08 09:38   [Quote] 
In the video comments somebody wrote it was a certain David Crigger, and the video just happens to show his (failed) audition.

choppadoo
Post 2017-01-08 13:36   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
In the video comments somebody wrote it was a certain David Crigger, and the video just happens to show his (failed) audition.

Hard to tell from the very few photos I could find of him, plus the poor video quality, but yeah, that is probably correct.

http://www.davidcrigger.com/images/jazzyatrapics/JazzYatra_10.jpg
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2017-01-08 20:40   [Quote] 
Sinclair Lott seems to have been around in spring 1980 before David Logeman was picked for that tour.

Never heard of Crigger earlier, good info. I asked Scott Thunes once about the Two on the Town video but he didn't remember who the drummer was.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: