Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Next Releases: The Crux of the Biscuit and Frank Zappa For President
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next  
Brad Henserling
usa.gif
Post 2016-08-01 17:12   [Quote] 
cyranoDB wrote:
"Frosting a cake with a paper knife", is from a frosting commercial, they don't actually say it rather show a woman doing it.

Pilsbury frosting commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxcQRFBkeRw
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Djangodi
Poster
belgium.gif
Post 2016-08-02 13:11   [Quote] 
Now listed on Zappa.com

-Road Tapes, Venue #3 Reissue #103 (on the sleeves #102) error404
-The Crux Of The Biscuit Reissue #104 (on the sleeves #102) error404
-Frank Zappa For President Reissue #105 (on the sleeves #103) error404

Maybe, I can sell my collection with the wrong numbers as a collectors item when I'm death and gone
I have my doubts about ZFT
stupid
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Stucco Holmes
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-08-02 17:55   [Quote] 
cyranoDB wrote:
This makes me want to veer off into a CC topic I find fascinating.

It takes the form of societal comments; mentioning advertising trends pervading the American Culture at the time, and known brands the FZ is aware of.

I refer to it as -- Product Placement, without compensation.

"Not a spec of cereal" comes from a dog food commercial. (was it Alpo?)

"Frosting a cake with a paper knife", is from a frosting commercial, they don't actually say it rather show a woman doing it.

- Crisco

- Florsheim shoe

- Holiday Inn -- numerous times

- Chicken Delight

I've mentioned before there could be a list delving into these mentions, throughout the catalog.

"Makes its own sauce when you add water" is a Gravy Train dog food commercial I'm pretty sure anyway.

cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-08-02 19:21   [Quote] 
Stucco Holmes wrote:
cyranoDB wrote:
This makes me want to veer off into a CC topic I find fascinating.

It takes the form of societal comments; mentioning advertising trends pervading the American Culture at the time, and known brands the FZ is aware of.

I refer to it as -- Product Placement, without compensation.

"Not a spec of cereal" comes from a dog food commercial. (was it Alpo?)

- Crisco

- Florsheim shoe

- Holiday Inn -- numerous times

- Chicken Delight

I've mentioned before there could be a list delving into these mentions, throughout the catalog.

"Makes its own sauce when you add water" is a Gravy Train dog food commercial I'm pretty sure anyway.

I think you are right - that fits.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cosmikd
Contributor
france.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-08-02 21:25   [Quote] 
Overnitefreak wrote:
Quote:
Unknown Flute? How about: I'd rather not be credited!

Earl Dumler? Tom Malone?

Or Ian Underwood?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2016-08-02 23:39   [Quote] 
cosmikd wrote:

Or Ian Underwood?

So far the idea is that it was probably someone who was in New York with FZ in November 1972 for that session. Ian Underwood wasn't in the band for this FZ tour.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2016-08-03 05:29   [Quote] 
And even if he were he would've only played keyboards in the Petit Wazoo anyway.

Think it's safe to say that someone like Bunk Gardner is even less plausible.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
emmapeelfanclub
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-08-03 10:33   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:
Think it's safe to say that someone like Bunk Gardner is even less plausible.

VERY safe. From all I've read and heard, Bunk was very angry when FZ split the MOI and following the meeting in January 1970 when FZ rounded up the ex Mothers members to sort out a way forward with the Uncle Meat movie, I don't think FZ and Bunk ever spoke again... and if they did, it was certainly not on friendly terms.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cosmikd
Contributor
france.gif
Contributor
Post 2016-08-03 11:21   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
cosmikd wrote:

Or Ian Underwood?

So far the idea is that it was probably someone who was in New York with FZ in November 1972 for that session. Ian Underwood wasn't in the band for this FZ tour.

Yes but a musician can be available in studio and not in concert dates, maybe with Flo & Eddie?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2016-08-03 18:26   [Quote] 
Underwood never played with Flo & Eddie post-Zappa except at the Roxy in 1976, as far as I know.

As far as I know Underwood, Brock, Dumler and Malone are all still alive and well, so maybe someone will have the chance to ask them about this.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2016-08-03 19:08   [Quote] 
Maybe even Dave Parlato could remember the flautist or at least confirm if it was any of the Wazoo guys (apply as it does for this whole Sep-Dec '72 period).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2016-08-03 19:30   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
As far as I know Underwood, Brock, Dumler and Malone are all still alive and well, so maybe someone will have the chance to ask them about this.

Am I the only one who thinks that was the publishers' job in the first place? We are all so critical of music journalists for doing sloppy research, but the ZFT seems to get away with it every time...

Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-08-03 19:55   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:
Maybe even Dave Parlato could remember the flautist or at least confirm if it was any of the Wazoo guys (apply as it does for this whole Sep-Dec '72 period).

I have asked David: he says there was no flautist at session - therefore possibly overdubbed later.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2016-08-03 20:24   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that was the publishers' job in the first place? We are all so critical of music journalists for doing sloppy research, but the ZFT seems to get away with it every time...

It would have been nice, but I don't think I would want them to delay the release for it.

FZ of course also didn't find info about his past concerts that fans later provided.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2016-08-03 21:44   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
yetanother wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

It would have been nice, but I don't think I would want them to delay the release for it.

I don't see why they would have to delay the release for it if they planned their schedule properly. The time and effort it would take them to find that kind of information is less than it takes to master one song - if they just bothered to look.

pbuzby wrote:
FZ of course also didn't find info about his past concerts that fans later provided.

Well, leaving an artist uncredited is a bit more serious than that. I know FZ did it too occasionally, but I have the impression that he tried to avoid it as much as possible.

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 16 of 18 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: