Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
alex winter on reddit
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
kidkeneally
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-03-12 15:31   [Quote] 
And I get the impression Ahmet and or Dweezil still do not know exactly what all is in the vault by now . WTF . It has been 20 years .
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2016-03-13 09:37   [Quote] 
you know what from my dealings with Gail and the ZFT a few years back I think the problem is that the family are just not BIZNISS people and don't trust BIZNISS people so consequently the thing is run very badly (some might say on CALIFORNIAN AIRHEAD principle)..
from trying to raise funds, to pricing (are ZFT releases the most expensive in the WORLD?) to dealing with the (LOVING) fanbase its a SHITBUCKET.
Here's a few ideas... raise some dough from the catalogue.. do some cheap sets of the classic releases 5 releases for $20 these would sell to new fans rather than milking the hardcore.
Get the ROADTAPES going (use the Grateful DEAD model) have an annual release program 12 shows a year which can be bought upfront in a BOX or individually.
To finance all this either borrow from a bank against future sales (interest rates are at an all time low) or in deed use KICKSTARTER but set it up directly.
if lets say 50,000 fans world wide (I reckon thats a resonable number spend $100 each on product thats a potential revenue of $5,000,000 per annum...
Once this is up and running then ZFT could move onto DELUX releases... half speed masters, single boxsets, IMMERSION releases etc etc.

THOUGHTS?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mr_Green_Genes
Busy Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2016-03-13 10:40   [Quote] 
I don't know, I'm not a bizniss person...

TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2016-03-13 14:14   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
lets say 50,000 fans world wide
                    hmm

It would be interesting to know how many copies the Roxy DVD has sold.
That would give a better indication to the actual number of folk willing to pay for something of quality.

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2016-03-13 19:06   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
                    hmm

That would give a better indication to the actual number of folk willing to pay for something of quality.

my guess would be a couple of thousand... DVDs sell like shit these days...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
poldino
Busy Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-03-13 19:53   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
                    hmm

my guess would be a couple of thousand... DVDs sell like shit these days...

Yeah, it's odd that, having decided that downloads is the way to sell music, video is still "hey, you want to watch this video? then send us some money and we'll mail you a piece of plastic you need to put into a little box and spin it around really fast. but first, you need to tell us which box you're going to stick it in so we can send you the right piece of plastic."

50,000 sounds optimistic. haven't many of the actual albums sold less than that, back when he was alive and actively promoting them via interviews etc?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-03-13 22:30   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
                    hmm

According to Disco Boy over at the Zappa Forum, Roxy has sold somewhere between 28-39K copies worldwide as at beginning of March.

TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2016-03-14 08:18   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:
TPS wrote:
                    hmm

According to Disco Boy over at the Zappa Forum, Roxy has sold somewhere between 28-39K copies worldwide as at beginning of March.

>                     You can add another to that total once Ob has bought his own and given me mine back!

Deepinder suggested on facebook that we could start 'The Church of Zappa' and collect 10% of everyone's income... that could work Idea

Last edited by TPS on 2016-03-14 09:54; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2016-03-14 09:11   [Quote] 
I was just using 50,000 as an illustration of BIZNISS planning... my range is 10,000-50000 which could be improved with the correct reaching out to fans... shit I bet you could find 20000 is Germany and central/eastern Europe alone...t
Here's another idea rather than the low rent ZPZ do it properly starting with a HOT RATS concert using either the best session musicians available or surviving ex Zappa players... For me the next one would be a FREAK OUT/ABSOLUTELY FREE combo... In addition really get the Classical Orchestra concerts going in LA, NY. London Paris, Madrid, Berlin Prague and Rome...
It needs some of the old workaholic Frank energy IMHO and the family seem tired to me, but I guess its their bag man.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2016-03-14 09:54   [Quote] 
The constant problem is reaching these people.
Our recent poll shows that over 70% of zappateers are 45 or older. It is a very hard group of people to know where to advertise or promote.

Banned From Utopia has Robert Martin, Ray White, Albert Wing, Tom Fowler and until recently Chad Wackerman, and their last tour they played audiences of 88 to 250 people. Then, you always get choruses of "Oh, I wish I'd known about that gig" etc. The 88 was Southampton, UK. The promoter had 1000 flyers & posters printed, circulated them at the university, record stores and other likely places. Robert and the rest of the band promoted it on their website and social media. Needless to say, the promoter lost money.

DVD sales increase over time, they are still on the shelf when these people finally hear about it. Getting a promoter to put on a show take a risk will only get harder. And the larger the band, the higher the risk. Some orchestra's can handle Franks work, but you would really need someone exceptional to put the eyebrows on it.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Ob
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2016-03-14 12:15   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:

> You can add another to that total once Ob has bought his own and given me mine back!

I bought my own Blu Ray copy, so the numbers still look good.

PS - Hmmm we need an excuse to meet up and party and so I can return your DVD. Any ideas?

[Profile]  [PM] 
vudicus
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-03-14 12:29   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
The constant problem is reaching these people.
Our recent poll shows that over 70% of zappateers are 45 or older. It is a very hard group of people to know where to advertise or promote.

Banned From Utopia has Robert Martin, Ray White, Albert Wing, Tom Fowler and until recently Chad Wackerman, and their last tour they played audiences of 88 to 250 people. Then, you always get choruses of "Oh, I wish I'd known about that gig" etc. The 88 was Southampton, UK. The promoter had 1000 flyers & posters printed, circulated them at the university, record stores and other likely places. Robert and the rest of the band promoted it on their website and social media. Needless to say, the promoter lost money.

DVD sales increase over time, they are still on the shelf when these people finally hear about it. Getting a promoter to put on a show take a risk will only get harder. And the larger the band, the higher the risk. Some orchestra's can handle Franks work, but you would really need someone exceptional to put the eyebrows on it.

Damn, I guess they won't be coming back to the Brook in Southampton.
Maybe they could come to the Talking Heads in Southampton instead.
From what I gather you have to put money up front to play the Brook but at the Talking Heads, there's just an artist/venue split of the ticket talkings.
That way, there's a lot less to lose.

Ike is at the Talking Heads in a few weeks, cannot wait.

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2016-03-14 13:09   [Quote] 
My guess for CD releases is it takes over a year, maybe two, to move 3 to 5,000 copies at best. And that’s for high(er) profile releases featuring established FZ combos.

Edit: That's for the Barfko boutique sales. Doing it through Universal would bump the numbers but the product would have to sell for less. So it's basically a wash, dollar-wise.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Zappamaniac
Busy Poster
germany.gif
Post 2016-03-14 14:14   [Quote] 
I don't get it why many of you detest the kickstarter project... I think it's great. Some of you read some evil things along the lines. I can understand why some of you may react this way, but...

He 's not taking hostage of the vault. What Alex Winter means is: the tapes are not getting better over the years, that's why he uses the word preserve.
He wants to make a doc. And we all want it to be awesome. So the doc could be more awesome with never-before-seen video and audio. What's bad about that?

And: personally it's the greatest Kickstarter project I have seen, the rewards are really amazing. He knows how to excite people.

He is on our side, so why so hostile?

Don´t let your meat loaf
Heh, heh, heh
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-03-14 14:40   [Quote] 
Zappamaniac wrote:
I don't get it why many of you detest the kickstarter project... I think it's great. Some of you read some evil things along the lines. I can understand why some of you may react this way, but...

He 's not taking hostage of the vault. What Alex Winter means is: the tapes are not getting better over the years, that's why he uses the word preserve.
He wants to make a doc. And we all want it to be awesome. So the doc could be more awesome with never-before-seen video and audio. What's bad about that?

And: personally it's the greatest Kickstarter project I have seen, the rewards are really amazing. He knows how to excite people.

He is on our side, so why so hostile?

You make an excellent point there! To answer your question, IMHO I guess it depends on whether in life one thinks the glass is half empty or half full? Are you a lover or a hater? Haters gonna hate. (Lovers gonna love?) etc. imslow
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 3 of 35 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: