Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Ads which took 18 months to appear......  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-11-22 10:55   [Quote] 
Yes, it's true.
18 months ago when my last laptop packed up after I tried to clean it..(I sprayed Pledge on the keyboard and it buggered the whole thing up) I got a new one and downloaded uTorrent version 3.4.2. This has all been lovely up until a few weeks ago when I had a ''Virgin Media Hub'' enforced holiday.... after I finally got reconnected I was shocked to suddenly have an ad appear in the top quarter of uTorrent (see pic below)... After a while it went away again, then it came back, then it went away again, then it came back, and so on and so on....... it's totally random and more than just a little annoying... (it's on and off at least 20 times a day). Anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of this crap?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mycroftxxx
Contributor
nepal.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-11-22 11:06   [Quote] 
yes...

switch to version 1.8.1

i use it, it's great...

cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2015-11-22 11:18   [Quote] 
I had this advertisement non-sense too, for a while, and just switched back to 2.2.1.

Not sure anymore, but I think one later u-torrent version I updated to also added some unwanted search engine or some other crappy feature to our browser.

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-11-22 12:24   [Quote] 
Ok, thanks guys. It's a bit of a shame coz this version worked really well the the first year and a half.... I just wondered why it suddenly ''went commercial''...

Also, I've gone back to earlier versions of programs before (not uTorrent) and had problems because the later version had left some registry changes(?) or something when I uninstalled/deleted it and the earlier versions were not happy about it.... has anyone had any problems like that with UT?

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2015-11-22 13:18   [Quote] 
no problems at all here with a "downgrade"

James66175
Power Poster
Location: in my smelly little secret black light bedroom on Long Island
usa.gif
Post 2015-11-22 14:28   [Quote] 
Quote:
Anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of this crap?

Yeah, don't spray Pledge on your keyboard. Did you have some kind of antique wooden keyboard? Wink
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wildfisherman
Vine Coordinator
uk.gif
Post 2015-11-22 15:06   [Quote] 
Have you thought of/tried an ad blocker? If it worked you could keep your nice new UT.

I've had Adblock Plus on this laptop for a while now and it makes a huge difference.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
poldino
Busy Poster
uk.gif
Post 2015-11-22 15:17   [Quote] 
wildfisherman wrote:
Have you thought of/tried an ad blocker? If it worked you could keep your nice new UT.

I've had Adblock Plus on this laptop for a while now and it makes a huge difference.

There's a zillion torrent apps out there; Transmission is pretty good. One thing that's worth considering, even if you're not ready to get rid of windows as your main OS, is to knock up an linux virtual machine and doing any torrenting/file sharing etc from there, to minimize the risk of malware, file lockers etc. The virtual machine can limit access to a subset of your filesystem so there's only so much damage they can do.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-11-22 15:45   [Quote] 
James66175 wrote:
Quote:
Anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of this crap?

Yeah, don't spray Pledge on your keyboard. Did you have some kind of antique wooden keyboard? Wink

No, just the usual antique plastic one..... I'm not very good at cleaning..... I spent years pushing a really heavy hoover round this gaff before the rest of the family finally told me I should plug it in......

wildfisherman wrote:

I hadn't and I haven't, although maybe I should....... I'll give it a go but I'm notoriously bad at making that kind of stuff work.....

Also, thanks for the suggestion poldino but I've got as much chance of ''knocking up a virtual linux machine'' as I have of opening the batting for England.....

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
belew-vibe
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-11-22 16:02   [Quote] 
I stayed with 2.2.1 for this reason... Maybe this link will help(?).

https://torrentfreak.com/remove-utorrent-ads-in-one-click-with-pimp-my-utorrent-150215/
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2015-11-24 10:14   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
Also, thanks for the suggestion poldino but I've got as much chance of ''knocking up a virtual linux machine'' as I have of opening the batting for England.....

roflol

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-11-24 11:02   [Quote] 
Not really the topic, but have you also tried a completely different torrent client?

Some torrents, especially from Dime, won't work with uTorrent on my laptop.

I have good experiences with Vuze, it's as easy and intuitive as uTorrent: www.vuze.com

Just a tip-off.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker All times are GMT

Jump to: