Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
200 Years old / The Muffin Man  
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-10-23 01:16   [Quote] 
The spoken word story telling parts (see below) of these two song seem unique to all the Zappa albums. I can't think of story telling style narration along these lines elsewhere in the catalog. A couple things occur to me one being having Tom Waits open for the Mothers in 1974, the second was the Captain Beefheart/Bongo Fury tour. I think both of these facts contribute to Frank experimenting with a style different than he had explored before.

The other thing about these two pieces is; I think they in someway contribute to the 1980 J Geils Band song No Anchovies, Please. Fortunately, for me on the AOR station I grew up with, this song received airtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-SgGHlZXQc

---
I was sitting in a breakfast room in Allentown, Pennsylvania . . .
Six o'clock in the morning . . .
Got up too early . . .
It was a terrible mistake . . .
Sittin' there face-to-face with a
75 glass of orange juice
About as big as my finger
And a bowl of horribly fore-shortened corn flakes
And I said to myself
"This is the life . . . "

----

The Muffin Man is seated at the table
In the laboratory of the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen . . .
Reaching for an oversized chrome spoon
He gathers an intimate quantity of dried muffin remnants
And, brushing his scapular aside,
Proceeds to dump these inside of his shirt . . .
He turns to us and speaks:
"Some people like cupcakes better. I, for one,
Care LESS for them!"
Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged icing-anointment utensil,
He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosetta
Near . . .
(Let's try that again . . . )
He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosetta
Near the summit of a dense-but-radiant muffin of his own design
Later he says:
"Some people . . . some people like cupcakes exclusively,
While I myself say there is naught, nor ought there be,
Nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey earth
As that Prince of Foods . . . The Muffin!"
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2015-10-23 02:01   [Quote] 
"Nanook Rubs It" and "Stinkfoot" had some talking bits similar to "200 Years Old." A bit in "Dinah Moe Humm" too.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-10-23 02:27   [Quote] 
I see what you are saying, yet these two I mentioned are distinctly a bit different in my subjective interpretation.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-10-23 03:21   [Quote] 
cyranoDB wrote:
The spoken word story telling parts (see below) of these two song seem unique to all the Zappa albums. I can't think of story telling style narration along these lines elsewhere in the catalog. A couple things occur to me one being having Tom Waits open for the Mothers in 1974, the second was the Captain Beefheart/Bongo Fury tour. I think both of these facts contribute to Frank experimenting with a style different than he had explored before.

The Muffin Man intro was written long before 1974. It dates from the same era as Grand Wazoo ("Fuck you if you don't like my hat!") and the story on the Capitol Lumpy Gravy ("Bernie bites through the tough plastic baloney wrapper"). On different occasions, FZ estimated the year as 1959 or 1962.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-10-23 11:06   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
cyranoDB wrote:

The Muffin Man intro was written long before 1974. It dates from the same era as Grand Wazoo ("Fuck you if you don't like my hat!") and the story on the Capitol Lumpy Gravy ("Bernie bites through the tough plastic baloney wrapper"). On different occasions, FZ estimated the year as 1959 or 1962.

For those who want to capture the Lumpy Gravy liner story. I had to use the Way Back Machine to find this image.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-10-23 11:46   [Quote] 
cyranoDB wrote:
For those who want to capture the Lumpy Gravy liner story. I had to use the Way Back Machine to find this imag

What, you can't read it in the Lumpy Money booklet?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-10-23 12:36   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
cyranoDB wrote:
For those who want to capture the Lumpy Gravy liner story. I had to use the Way Back Machine to find this image

What, you can't read it in the Lumpy Money booklet?

Not without a magnifying glass. On the computer I can zoom in, Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
alakulju
finland.gif
Post 2015-10-23 14:35   [Quote] 
"Alone in the hissing laboratory of his wishes..."
This spoken section from the Yellow Snow Suite in YCDTOSA#1 has always seemed like out of place for me. I never understood the meaning of that section in the context of the Suite. Maybe this is another example of weird spoken stories by FZ.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2015-10-23 14:43   [Quote] 
alakulju wrote:
"Alone in the hissing laboratory of his wishes..."
This spoken section from the Yellow Snow Suite in YCDTOSA#1 has always seemed like out of place for me. I never understood the meaning of that section in the context of the Suite. Maybe this is another example of weird spoken stories by FZ.

That is from Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
alakulju
finland.gif
Post 2015-10-23 16:27   [Quote] 
Oh, thanks for the info! I didn't know that. I'm still wondering what made FZ recite that text. Well, it has some conceptual continuity with the "mad scientist in his laboratory" theme.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: