Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Songs from solos  
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-10-21 08:25   [Quote] 
AFAIK FZ occasionally constructed songs from guitar solos he'd previously played, I believe ''Big Swifty'' was one and I think I remember being told back in the day that ''Debra Kadabra'' was another one..... Does anyone know of any others? or, failing that, has anyone got any ideas of any songs that could have been constructed in this way?
Thanks very much Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2015-10-21 09:02   [Quote] 
Sinister Footwear III on You Are What You Is. Solo is from Halloween 1978 (27.10.?).

Waka/Jawaka? (thinking about it now, I'm not sure about Big Swifty - refers to the unison stuff near the end?)

One on Studio Tan. Maybe that Revised Music thing (with Bruce Fowler doubling the guitar).

I never checked, and technically a little different, but While You Were Art on Jazz from Hell is based on While You Were Out from SUAPYG?

Derek Bailey did that too, and of course was better at it. Very Happy

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-10-21 10:03   [Quote] 
Thanks.
cookie_manager wrote:
I'm not sure about Big Swifty - refers to the unison stuff near the end?)

I always presumed it was more the opening riff (and following melody).... I read about BS on here I think , or maybe the Patio, I'll see if I can find it again.

cookie_manager wrote:
...Derek Bailey did that too, and of course was better at it. Very Happy
Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2015-10-21 11:57   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
Sinister Footwear III on You Are What You Is. Solo is from Halloween 1978 (27.10.?).

Waka/Jawaka? (thinking about it now, I'm not sure about Big Swifty - refers to the unison stuff near the end?)

One on Studio Tan. Maybe that Revised Music thing (with Bruce Fowler doubling the guitar).

I never checked, and technically a little different, but While You Were Art on Jazz from Hell is based on While You Were Out from SUAPYG?

Yes, Big Swifty is just the coda, basically a recap of the entire theme freely variated by FZ on the spot. Same with Waka/Jawaka, it's just the bit at the end of the guitar solo with trumpets overdubbed by Sal Marquez. Dunno about Debra Kadabra, can't remember anything about that song that would strike me as particularly guitaristic.

Other examples that come to mind are Outside Now Again, the 2nd movement from Sad Jane, and the interlude from Strictly Genteel.

chrisfromparis
france.gif
Post 2015-10-21 19:35   [Quote] 
The beginning of Mo 'n Herb's Vacation comes from the Cruising for Burgers solo that was released of the ZINY CD.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-10-21 20:29   [Quote] 
chrisfromparis wrote:
The beginning of Mo 'n Herb's Vacation comes from the Cruising for Burgers solo that was released of the ZINY CD.

Thanks cfp! I had no idea about that. Great info!

yetanother wrote:
...Other examples that come to mind are Outside Now Again, the 2nd movement from Sad Jane, and the interlude from Strictly Genteel.

Thanks also for your input ya. Another quick question if I may. How do I know which bit the interlude is in Strictly Genteel?

[Profile]  [PM] 
flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2015-10-21 21:23   [Quote] 
The You Are What You Is theme has surfaced for the first time
in some of FZ's Yo' Mama solos in 1978,
check 1978 02 15 Berlin DE for instance.

Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2015-10-21 21:38   [Quote] 
He also played part of the melody of "The Grand Wazoo" (aka "Think It Over") in some Pound solos from fall 71.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2015-10-21 22:45   [Quote] 
chrisfromparis wrote:

That is debatable. It's not clear whether that line was improvised live and then transcribed for the "Mo 'n Herb's" intro, or if it was composed first and then quoted during that solo (and during several other solos from the same period). There are far more instances of the latter scenario than of the former in FZ's work.

father-0blivion wrote:
How do I know which bit the interlude is in Strictly Genteel?

Well, it's the entire section that occurs in the middle of the third verse (between "honey, how do it feel?" and "lord have mercy on the hippies and faggots..."), in all versions except the original 200 Motels version (because FZ edited it out). Listen to this entire section and compare to the beginning of the "Holiday in Berlin" solo on BWS - both melody and accompaniment. (By the way, the lick that begins this solo is also the starting point for "Aybe Sea", and recurs, somewhat modified, after the guitar solo in "Inca Roads".)

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-10-21 22:48   [Quote] 
chrisfromparis wrote:

Well, FZ did say that. But Patrick O'Hearn quoted the same line at the end of Purple Lagoon three nights before FZ played that Cruising For Burgers solo.

So FZ was quoting his own composed line, not improvising it from scratch.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: