Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Dance me this = 100th......
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-07-08 02:38   [Quote] 
cyranoDB wrote:
drdork wrote:
Next, what about Rykoniki?

"Darling Nikki" is track #1 on the album Purple Rain.

Matching half of a word seems like grasping at straws.

You might as well say it's a reference to Nick Danger (whom Nancy called Nicky). After all, Catherwood wrote commercials for Hot Rats.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2015-07-08 14:31   [Quote] 
Let's Go Crazy is track #1 on Purple Rain.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2015-07-09 23:33   [Quote] 
czgibson wrote:
Now that Dance Me This is here, of course, what we're all waiting for now is yetanother's review of it. Very Happy

Here it is.

wildfisherman
Vine Coordinator
uk.gif
Post 2015-07-10 11:07   [Quote] 
While on the subject of the sources for track titles, would Buzkashi, the national sport of Afghanistan, be the inspiration for Goat Polo.

It is a game where teams of horsemen compete to score goals using the carcass of a goat, or even a calf. Recently introduded rules have made it less extreme, but in earlier times dozens of riders could have been involved in games that lasted for days.

Perhaps this is so obvious it's all been covered before, or maybe it's just plain wrong.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Zappamaniac
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2015-07-10 17:56   [Quote] 
cekman wrote:
From Todd Yvega's liner notes, we can be pretty certain that Wolf Harbor belonged to the opera Uncle Sam, which reminds me: whatever happened with the Ensemble Ascolta? Back in 2007, with the help of the ZFT, they premiered a couple of Zappa's unheard Synclavier pieces in concert, one of which was the Overture to Uncle Sam. Their web site says they were recorded, but gives no news. Has that just gone by the wayside?

Ensemble Ascolta played their Zappa show last month in Hannover (their only performance this year with Zappa), so I asked them about this: one of the guys said, yes they recorded them 8 years ago and are still waiting for the permission from Gail to release it. I think she simply forgot about this project

Don´t let your meat loaf
Heh, heh, heh
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-07-10 19:39   [Quote] 
wildfisherman wrote:
While on the subject of the sources for track titles, would Buzkashi, the national sport of Afghanistan, be the inspiration for Goat Polo.

It is a game where teams of horsemen compete to score goals using the carcass of a goat

Never having heard of buzkashi, I was picturing players riding goats. But I'm sure you're right.

I haven't yet confirmed that Tuvans play the game.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wildfisherman
Vine Coordinator
uk.gif
Post 2015-07-11 10:49   [Quote] 
Speculation about Rykoniki....................

I think it's too much of a coincidence that the Ryko part is there for it to be anything other than a reference to the record label.

I had a poke around to see if the suffix -niki appears in any language and, since Frank is in full-on Tuvan mode for this album, had a look at Turkic languages. It seems that -niki is used as a Substantival Genitive in this family of languages. I had to look up what that meant and it seems that it's a complicated way of saying 'belonging to'.

So Rykoniki could just mean Ryko's, or 'belonging to Ryko', though it wouldn't get us any closer to why Frank might have wanted to call it this. Maybe he simply liked the sound of it? Maybe -niki came up with the Tuvans talking among themselves and Frank asked its meaning and then thought he could use it?

All very speculative and likely wrong, but there is a tenuous logic to it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
sinisterheadwear
germany.gif
Post 2015-07-29 14:30   [Quote] 
Shurely you can dance to >Wolf Harbour< But - as many years ago - concerning >The Black Page< - you have to learn it by heart to be able to move precisely. This >Dance Me This< is - like >Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison<, >FZMTMOP<, >JFH<, >CPIII & >The Yellow Shark< one of FZ's masterworks. >Rykoniki< is something in a more regular way of >Jazz From Hell< and >Piano< (at least the first half) is a piece that later generations will transcribe for real piano(s) to be played by pianists in concert.
The percussion and drums sounds in this record are very good, those of the piano are not.
Throat singing doesn't impress me as much as it obviously did to FZ. It comes very easily to my vocal ligaments.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle Z
Busy Poster
ukraine.gif
Post 2015-08-18 12:09   [Quote] 
Conceptual Continuity - cover DMT and shadow on the wall inside cover in the far left corner on BTHW Smile

James66175
Power Poster
Location: in my smelly little secret black light bedroom on Long Island
usa.gif
Post 2015-08-19 01:49   [Quote] 
A bit of a stretch since GZ picked the cover 21 years later but ok. It works. Smile

[Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Poster
Post 2015-08-19 12:44   [Quote] 
I seem to remember the shadow of an elephant, which I believe is meant to symbolize... Republicans ...

I don't think that was Gail's intention with the cover for DMT.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2015-08-19 13:16   [Quote] 
The drummer of Warpaint used a Zappa t-shirt to mute her snare drum in some video. Their song "Elephants" sure refers to the cover of "Broadway the Hard Way". The fact they perform "Elephants" in undies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOFxb0F2F2A is a reference to Zappa's business about collecting female underwear on stage.

Hehe, zircon encrusted elephants and poodles.

wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2015-08-19 18:09   [Quote] 
on my 20th listen all the way through I've decided I don't like DMT!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2015-08-19 21:30   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:

When I was young I had a friend who used to eat 5-6 dishes full of soup and often at the 6th would say "Wow, this soup is saltless !!"
But then he would keep on eating ... Wink

wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2015-08-20 08:18   [Quote] 
uncle max wrote:
wingedeelfingerling wrote:

When I was young I had a friend who used to eat 5-6 dishes full of soup and often at the 6th would say "Wow, this soup is saltless !!"
But then he would keep on eating ... Wink

I admit to being a bit of an obsessive but I always try to give Frank's LPs a fair listen and I think the problem with this is that it is a collection of work in progress peices that were nether finished or discarded... back to my current favorite LUMPY GRAVY so dense baby. Blast it out at the traffic lights and see fellow drivers stare
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 21 of 23 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: