Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Dance me this = 100th......
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums
Author Message
jaypfunk
Contributor
Joined: 2004-11-27
Posts: 1754
Location: Philly
Contributor
Post 2015-07-02 19:20   [Quote] 
poldino wrote:
drdork wrote:
poldino wrote:
There will be no #101.

www.rollingstone.com

Oh, it's gotta be true!


http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=971_69916&pc=ZPCD170

This is it. #100.
The LAST album by Frank Zappa.
It’s 1993 & YOU ARE HERE!


It means it's the LAST album prepared by Frank Zappa before his death.

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
YaKuzna
Joined: 2014-10-08
Posts: 102
italy.gif
Post 2015-07-02 19:27   [Quote] 
Dance Me This (Id Rather Eat a Doughnut though)

no, I dont like it and Im quite a lot into "weird" soundscape/dance/whatever music. Same day with this one I got Meredith Monk's Piano Songs. I strongly recommend this one.

It's 93, Frank was playing with his toy which, in those days was cool to have in the first place.
In 2015 to listen to this soundtrack doesnt come so easy. (The use of Tuvan voices is brilliant!)
I hope some modern dancers will DO GET Gail's permission to use it as score.

I worked (as film maker) with several prestigious modern dance companies (including LaLa Human Steps) and I "see" the music very well fitting into that.

A guy with cancer cannot even bother about his "last album". He composes what he feels like composing in those moments. There's sufficient music before this (out or to hopefully be released) that will please all guitar suckers (like myself), and other Zappa concert goers. I see Dance Me This just as one brush stroke in the huge painting Frank completed in his life span.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cekman
Poster
Joined: 2005-09-20
Posts: 268
usa.gif
Post 2015-07-02 19:59   [Quote] 
I have to admit, I haven't found a way into Wolf Harbor yet. Which is a problem, since it takes up over half the album. All I could think of to compare to it were two other of Zappa's misasmatic Synclavier pieces, H.R. 2911 and Jonestown, but both of those have a good deal more tone data and/or sense of pulse than Wolf Harbor. It's got to be the most purely abstract thing Frank ever put on an album. (And how on earth would you dance to it?) Maybe I just need to give it time to seep in.

From Todd Yvega's liner notes, we can be pretty certain that Wolf Harbor belonged to the opera Uncle Sam, which reminds me: whatever happened with the Ensemble Ascolta? Back in 2007, with the help of the ZFT, they premiered a couple of Zappa's unheard Synclavier pieces in concert, one of which was the Overture to Uncle Sam. Their web site says they were recorded, but gives no news. Has that just gone by the wayside?

Also, too: does anyone know anything about the actual Wolf Harbor? Gail says in the liner notes that it's a real place, and urges us to go do the research. I did a little bit of Googling, but didn't come up with much that looked at all relevant.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ob
Power Poster
Joined: 2007-01-14
Posts: 2791
Location: Obshire
england.gif
Post 2015-07-02 20:15   [Quote] 
An Obshire Observation:

I was a bit underwhelmed when I first heard it on crappy speakers at low volume - but once it was on headphones at a good volume or even on my killer hifi once Mrs Ob was out then you hear all the subtleties that are intertwingled. It is beautifully arranged, indeed choreographed, and is a mature, evolved sample driven opus. It even has a toilet sample or two to fuck up all the beauty - in true Project Object fashion. 100/100.

Is Dance Me This the new Thing Fish in dividing the fans/audience?

Perfect - now there is even more for us to discuss over some beers.

Thanks Frank, Gail and everyone involved.

_________________
Is that Bob without the "B"?
Nope - It's Ob with everything in it!
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
DoctorNerve
Power Poster
Joined: 2006-04-08
Posts: 1239
Location: Austin
usa.gif
Post 2015-07-02 21:10   [Quote] 
cekman wrote:
I have to admit, I haven't found a way into Wolf Harbor yet. Which is a problem, since it takes up over half the album. All I could think of to compare to it were two other of Zappa's misasmatic Synclavier pieces, H.R. 2911 and Jonestown, but both of those have a good deal more tone data and/or sense of pulse than Wolf Harbor. It's got to be the most purely abstract thing Frank ever put on an album. (And how on earth would you dance to it?) Maybe I just need to give it time to seep in.

From Todd Yvega's liner notes, we can be pretty certain that Wolf Harbor belonged to the opera Uncle Sam, which reminds me: whatever happened with the Ensemble Ascolta? Back in 2007, with the help of the ZFT, they premiered a couple of Zappa's unheard Synclavier pieces in concert, one of which was the Overture to Uncle Sam. Their web site says they were recorded, but gives no news. Has that just gone by the wayside?

Also, too: does anyone know anything about the actual Wolf Harbor? Gail says in the liner notes that it's a real place, and urges us to go do the research. I did a little bit of Googling, but didn't come up with much that looked at all relevant.


Wolf Harbor is the gem on the album for me. I like the other tracks well enough but that chunk of space is right in my wheelhouse. Like someone else said - the sound seems to be more evolved than earlier offerings too. I know nothing about synclavier stuff so I guess I might be crazy?

_________________
Three rights make a left
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [AIM] 
drdork
Contributor
Joined: 2008-04-05
Posts: 3709
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-07-02 21:24   [Quote] 
cekman wrote:
Also, too: does anyone know anything about the actual Wolf Harbor? Gail says in the liner notes that it's a real place, and urges us to go do the research. I did a little bit of Googling, but didn't come up with much that looked at all relevant.

There is a Wolf Harbor Road in Milford, Connecticut. It's now the location of a center for children with autism, but it wasn't there in 1993.

In the 17th and 18th centuries, there was a parcel of land called Woolf Harbour in Maryland. The proximity to FZ's hometown of Baltimore might make this appear relevant. But I can't imagine FZ spending time going through old legal records like the following:

Quote:
The patent for " Wolves Harbour " is granted under the name of "Woolf Harbor" to Samuel Sickelmore on November 10th, 1695, (Land Office Liber C, No. 3, p. 503) and it is described as beginning at a chestnut tree on the west side of the mouth of Forster's Creek and running up the river north north west" to an oak standing at the mouth of Taylor's Creek, then north up this creek, and by different courses (meanwhile making a call for an oak by the side of Forster's Neck road), until it comes back to Forster's Creek, and then down Forster's Creek to the beginning, containing 318 acres.

There being no patent for a tract called Forster's Neck, a search for patents to any one named Forster, led to the discovery of a patent for a tract called " Goldsmith's Neck," issued to Mathew Goldsmith and Edward Forster on February 24th, 1661, for a tract on the Gunpowder, which begins at the easterly side of Taylor's Creek and runs southeasterly down the river to Forster's Creek, and then up this creek, &c., containing two hundred acres.

It is thus seen that Goldsmith's Neck began at Taylor's Creek and ran down the river to Forster's Creek, while Woolf Harbor, under the later patent, began at Forster's Creek and ran up the river to Taylor's Creek; and that Goldsmith's Neck embraced the land on the west side of Forster's Creek, which was afterwards included in the patent for Woolf Harbor. To the extent of two hundred acres, therefore, there was a conflict and the prior title was under the patent for Goldsmith's Neck. This would explain why the rent on Woolf Harbor was " taken away" by another survey. The memorandum mentioned, however, says that it was taken away by a survey of Foster's Neck, but as there "was no survey or patent of any tract called Foster's Neck, the explanation seems to be that this rent was in fact taken away by the prior survey and patent of Goldsmith's Neck, and that this Neck afterward became known to the public as Foster's Neck.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
Joined: 2006-08-29
Posts: 1158
Location: Essex, England
uk.gif
Post 2015-07-02 22:10   [Quote] 
I wonder if it's a reference to the Wolf River Harbor?

Btw, the liner notes confirm that the main vocal on Calculus is by Anatoly/Anatolli (which is correct - it's spelt both ways?) Kuular, which makes a bit of a nonsense of this http://www.zappa.com/whatsnew/ofconsequence/kongar-ol-ondar/index.html

_________________
FRANK TALK: THE INSIDE STORIES OF ZAPPA’S OTHER PEOPLE - new book, available now!
www.idiotbastard.com
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
drdork
Contributor
Joined: 2008-04-05
Posts: 3709
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-07-03 04:13   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:
Anatoly/Anatolli (which is correct - it's spelt both ways?) Kuular

Анатолий Куулар

In the gatefold of Dance Me This, it's spelled not ANATOLLI (with two Ls) but ANATOLII (with two Is). This is a plausible way to transliterate Анатолий—if you don't want anglophones to mispronounce ANATOLIJ as anatolidge and you also want to maintain a distinction between й and ы (both of which might be transliterated as y).

See wikipedia for a table comparing a dozen or so systems for transliterating Russian. (Анатолий is a Russian given name, not a traditional Tuvan given name.)

Note also that the second A in KAIGAL-OOL is omitted in the DMT gatefold.


Last edited by drdork on 2015-07-16 13:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
orontea
Joined: 2010-08-30
Posts: 76
Post 2015-07-03 10:55   [Quote] 
I had my first listen.

This music just fills me with deep joy.
And it even has some new elements (and I am not talking about the most obvious throat singing stuff).

It doesn't sound like the music of a dying person at all. It sounds like music by a guy who is still curious. The synclavier stuff always had a tendency to be dark. It is clearly music by a person who doesn't care about our ears anymore. It really doesn't matter if this divides the Zappa-Crowd. I can perfectly see that to some people this music does nothing.
This music moves on a very thin line.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Studebacher Hoch
Joined: 2015-04-04
Posts: 23
uk.gif
Post 2015-07-03 13:36   [Quote] 
It finally arrived yesterday and only listened to about half of it so far, and in the car at that bad

Really liking Wolf Harbor so far.
It has a very "contemporary music" feel.
The synclavier sounds blow those on previous albums away.

Who know what Frank would be creating now. Chance are he would have followed this up with a rock n roll album, as consecutive albums rarely had any consistent stylistic continuity anyway!
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
poldino
Busy Poster
Joined: 2006-08-10
Posts: 629
uk.gif
Post 2015-07-03 15:20   [Quote] 
Studebacher Hoch wrote:

It has a very "contemporary music" feel.


Some of it (especially Pachuco Gavotte) remind me of Nerve Net by Brian Eno (from 1992).
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
Joined: 2008-04-05
Posts: 3709
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-07-07 20:05   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:
I wonder if it's a reference to the Wolf River Harbor?

That's the best suggestion I've heard so far.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
Because of its foul odor, the Wolf was dammed in 1960 near its mouth and diverted into the Mississippi north of Mud Island. The section of the Wolf downstream of this channel diversion became a slackwater harbor of the Mississippi known today as Wolf River Harbor, which separates Mud Island (actually a peninsula) from the Memphis "mainland." Completion of channelization of the Wolf from the Mississippi upstream to Gray's Creek, east of Germantown, Tennessee, resulted in a lowered riverbed and diminished wetland habitat. In 1970, surface drainage, sewage, and industrial pollution caused a group of scientists and environmentalists to pronounce the river "dead" around Memphis.

That matches Gail's "dark and murky polluted waters of sludgy Wolf Harbor". FZ performed in Memphis in 1973, 1974, 1980, and 1984, so he may have seen and/or smelled the harbor firsthand.

Next, what about Rykoniki? Greek? Lithuanian? Imaginatively-spelled Japanese (like Ryko)?
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
Joined: 2007-02-20
Posts: 808
usa.gif
Post 2015-07-07 22:31   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
Idiot wrote:
I wonder if it's a reference to the Wolf River Harbor?

That's the best suggestion I've heard so far.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
Because of its foul odor, the Wolf was dammed in 1960 near its mouth and diverted into the Mississippi north of Mud Island. The section of the Wolf downstream of this channel diversion became a slackwater harbor of the Mississippi known today as Wolf River Harbor, which separates Mud Island (actually a peninsula) from the Memphis "mainland." Completion of channelization of the Wolf from the Mississippi upstream to Gray's Creek, east of Germantown, Tennessee, resulted in a lowered riverbed and diminished wetland habitat. In 1970, surface drainage, sewage, and industrial pollution caused a group of scientists and environmentalists to pronounce the river "dead" around Memphis.

That matches Gail's "dark and murky polluted waters of sludgy Wolf Harbor". FZ performed in Memphis in 1973, 1974, 1980, and 1984, so he may have seen and/or smelled the harbor firsthand.

Next, what about Rykoniki? Greek? Lithuanian? Imaginatively-spelled Japanese (like Ryko)?


Nikki was the girl... Prince set off -- Tipper Gore -- started the PMRC

---
Darling Nikki - Lyrics

from Purple Rain

"Darling Nikki" is track #1 on the album Purple Rain. It was written by Nelson, Prince Rogers.

I knew a girl named Nikki
I guess you could say she was a sex fiend
I met her in a hotel lobby
Masturbating with a magazine
She said, "How'd you like to waste some time?"
And I could not resist when I saw little Nikki grind

She took me to her castle
And I just couldn't believe my eyes
She had so many devices
Everything that money could buy
She said, "Sign your name on the dotted line"
The lights went out and Nikki started to grind
Nikki

The castle started spinning
Or maybe it was my brain
I can't tell you what she did to me
But me body will never be the same

Her lovin' will kick your behind
Oh, she'll show you no mercy
But she'll sho'nuff, sho'nuff
Show you how to grind
Darling Nikki, oh

Woke up the next morning Nikki wasn't there
I looked all over and all I found
Was a phone number on the stairs
It said, "Thank you for a funky time
Call me up whenever you want to grind"
Oh, Nikki, oh

Oh come back Nikki, come back
Your dirty little Prince wanna grind, grind, grind, grind
Grind, grind, grind, grind, grind!

[Incomprehensible]
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
Joined: 2008-04-05
Posts: 3709
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-07-07 23:59   [Quote] 
cyranoDB wrote:
"Darling Nikki" is track #1 on the album Purple Rain.

But Purple Rain was never released on Rykodisc, was it?
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
Joined: 2007-02-20
Posts: 808
usa.gif
Post 2015-07-08 00:12   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
cyranoDB wrote:
"Darling Nikki" is track #1 on the album Purple Rain.

But Purple Rain was never released on Rykodisc, was it?


No - the song title smells like Randomonium or AAAFNRAA
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic
 
Page 20 of 23 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group, TorrentPier © Meithar