Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
A glimpse of MOI in a Hendrix video
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
YaKuzna
italy.gif
Post 2015-03-16 21:58   [Quote] 
While watching Hear My Train A Comin, a Hendrix doc/live performance program, I spotted a brief footage on FZ and MOI. Out of curiosity, does anyone know which concert was that?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mycroftxxx
Contributor
nepal.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-03-17 01:25   [Quote] 
smarter people than me will know for sure, but i think it's the may 1968 miami pop festival...

czgibson
uk.gif
Post 2015-03-17 03:57   [Quote] 
Looks like it is. Here's Hendrix at the same event:

[Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-03-17 04:04   [Quote] 
This is the "flatbed diesel" that FZ mentions in the "Uncle Meat" liner notes. Part of "King Kong" comes from this show.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-03-17 05:37   [Quote] 
My understanding is that the event in Hallandale on May 18 (with Hendrix and the MOI) was billed as the 1968 Pop Festival. (No "Miami" in the name.) See the poster at oldrockphoto.com, where they call it the Miami Pop Festival anyway.

The Miami Pop Festival was held in the same location in December 1968. Neither Hendrix nor the MOI performed.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2015-03-17 08:06   [Quote] 
figured I'd drop this here as it fits as a cameo:::

FZ is in the freshly released The Wrecking Crew documentary. For about 7 seconds. Unique interview? Guessing like 1985ish. Neatly ties into the recent Gong Show thread here...as well as perhaps inspiration for the Yo Cats tune?

They also use a still at the very end of FZ & musicians in studio. I've seen it before on one of the ZFT releases or perhaps here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-03-17 09:11   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
This is the "flatbed diesel" that FZ mentions in the "Uncle Meat" liner notes. Part of "King Kong" comes from this show.

Ha! When I first heard that track and saw its title (in about 1975/6) I never dreamt that one day I would actually see a (partial) picture of the actual ''flatbed diesel truck''... zappateers eh!? (PS: drdork, the fact that the word ''Miami'' appears in that title does not help in the ''pop festival of '68'' confusion....)

Thanks for posting the pics YaKuzna and czgibson

FOB. Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-03-17 09:17   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
FZ is in the freshly released The Wrecking Crew documentary. For about 7 seconds. Unique interview? Guessing like 1985ish. .

Any chance of some kind of screenshot Mr pang?

FOB. Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2015-03-17 09:58   [Quote] 
sorry, I would if I could. watched it on streaming cable teevee and cannot manage.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-03-17 10:30   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
My understanding is that the event in Hallandale on May 18 (with Hendrix and the MOI) was billed as the 1968 Pop Festival. (No "Miami" in the name.) See the poster at oldrockphoto.com, where they call it the Miami Pop Festival anyway.

The Miami Pop Festival was held in the same location in December 1968. Neither Hendrix nor the MOI performed.

There is a photo of Frank on this page. http://www.oldrockphoto.com/miamipop.html It is in flash, and I don't know how to link to directly to the photo.

He is crouched down and smoking. Motorhead is to one side and I see Don Preston's back, and Roy Estrada.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-03-17 12:14   [Quote] 
cyranoDB wrote:
drdork wrote:
There is a photo of Frank on this page. http://www.oldrockphoto.com/miamipop.html It is in flash, and I don't know how to link to directly to the photo.
He is crouched down and smoking. Motorhead is to one side and I see Don Preston's back, and Roy Estrada.

Thanks cyrano. I got a capture of it but had to cut it down to post it here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-03-17 21:52   [Quote] 
No problem --- Can anyone else on stage be identified?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-03-17 22:11   [Quote] 
I would guess that they're setting up to play. Maybe the other shirtless guy behind Frank is a guitar tech/roadie and the other guy I suspect is also not in the band because of his trousers..... Also maybe Art Tripp behind Zappa in the green?

FOB. Smile

[Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2015-03-17 22:19   [Quote] 
Whose arm/torso - Behind Motorhead's knee?

If that Herb Cohen on the rafter spotlight? (Just Kidding)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2015-03-17 22:42   [Quote] 
cyranoDB wrote:
Whose arm/torso - Behind Motorhead's knee?)
JCB?

FOB. Smile

[Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: