Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Fillmore East, June 1971 - Willie The Pimp, Pt 2
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  
ephceetera
Poster
kyrgyzstan.gif
Post 2014-11-12 18:58   [Quote] 
franktomatozappa wrote:
William wrote:
That's actually interesting. I tend not to believe in coincidences anymore, but just due to my own reasoning concerning cause and effect; I grew up reading my mother's medicine and biology tomes and at seven, upon reading the Bible it just didn't make sense to me. That should say everything you need to know.

Having that said, well, I think Frank was letting it loose with this band and that didn't end up well. Attracts the wrong kind of audience, exceptionally when you let it rip on your axe like Frank did in 1971. (less so in 1970, but still) That band relied a lot on his guitar so he sorta start to be noticed as a stereotypical guitar hero. I think it was just the time and circumstance factor. Since he had developed tremendously from say, whenever he needed a guy like Del Kasher to be the actual lead player of the band to Lowell George being second fiddle in less than three years and found himself with a different idea and in my opinion the best drummer he's ever had (come on, I thought Aynsley had one of these huge double kits and was in awe and shock when seeing he did all that with a three piece Hayman set; given his playing and his kit, I think the guy did a great job in sounding like he was super-human on drums plus I had A Hard Road and he kicked ass on it) and thinking of doing something more "mundane", so to speak (and at the same time sabotaging himself, but you know Frank) he had to sharpen up real good, and promptly did so.

So, obscene and vaudeville and Flo & Eddie were just part of the picture; it's nothing different from Motorhead pretending to fuck a doll in Garrick Theater back in '67

Brilliant! You should write a book IMHO. imslow
Hmm. This gave me a good idea for an album to listen to....

Dude, what's your problem man? Send me a PM or whatever but really, here on the forum, just lay off.

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2014-11-12 23:07   [Quote] 
William wrote:
franktomatozappa wrote:
William wrote:
That's actually interesting. I tend not to believe in coincidences anymore, but just due to my own reasoning concerning cause and effect; I grew up reading my mother's medicine and biology tomes and at seven, upon reading the Bible it just didn't make sense to me. That should say everything you need to know.

Having that said, well, I think Frank was letting it loose with this band and that didn't end up well. Attracts the wrong kind of audience, exceptionally when you let it rip on your axe like Frank did in 1971. (less so in 1970, but still) That band relied a lot on his guitar so he sorta start to be noticed as a stereotypical guitar hero. I think it was just the time and circumstance factor. Since he had developed tremendously from say, whenever he needed a guy like Del Kasher to be the actual lead player of the band to Lowell George being second fiddle in less than three years and found himself with a different idea and in my opinion the best drummer he's ever had (come on, I thought Aynsley had one of these huge double kits and was in awe and shock when seeing he did all that with a three piece Hayman set; given his playing and his kit, I think the guy did a great job in sounding like he was super-human on drums plus I had A Hard Road and he kicked ass on it) and thinking of doing something more "mundane", so to speak (and at the same time sabotaging himself, but you know Frank) he had to sharpen up real good, and promptly did so.

So, obscene and vaudeville and Flo & Eddie were just part of the picture; it's nothing different from Motorhead pretending to fuck a doll in Garrick Theater back in '67

Brilliant! You should write a book IMHO. imslow
Hmm. This gave me a good idea for an album to listen to....

Dude, what's your problem man? Send me a PM or whatever but really, here on the forum, just lay off.

Oops maybe I should if its stressing you out Dude. Just saying I am in admiration of the gonzo style of writing. Fear and loathing on Zappateers. That's a compliment by the way. imslow
 [Profile]  [PM] 
ephceetera
Poster
kyrgyzstan.gif
Post 2014-11-13 03:42   [Quote] 
Okay man, sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't think I'd actually be the Hunter Thompson of Zappateers, haha suicide

Yeah, guess I babble too much. But it's actually the first time I return to the FORUM, not just the tracker. Before I only liked to play Mornington Crescent with the fellas at PP

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
warewolf95
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2014-11-13 12:51   [Quote] 
William wrote:
Okay man, sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't think I'd actually be the Hunter Thompson of Zappateers, haha suicide

Yeah, guess I babble too much. But it's actually the first time I return to the FORUM, not just the tracker. Before I only liked to play Mornington Crescent with the fellas at PP

Ah yes, Playground Psychotics....I forgot about that lovely place. Smile

emmapeelfanclub
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2014-11-16 01:39   [Quote] 
alakulju wrote:
Thanks for your comments! When I saw that interview with Mark telling his "heresy theory", I just wanted to ask this famous question: "Mark, are you kidding?"

I think Volman is definitely being revisionist with that theory since he became a Born Again Christian in recent years so his born again attitude will colour such recollections.

As for "Divan" not being performed complete at the Rainbow, and not being wise, I think it was probably down to the German lyrics combined with the fact Frank would had been wanting to keep an eye on the clock given they would had had to finish the show by a certain time to be ready for the second performance which was not to be. From what I remember of listening to the Rainbow tape, there were continual feedback problems until about halfway through the show when it finally kinda levels out and settles down, so performing "Divan" with it's dialogue and lyrics would had been open to being screwed up by the sound problems hence why that show seemed a little more instrumental heavy than usual.

I do envy the earlier poster who was actually there in the third row. If ever time travel was possible and one could choose a Zappa gig to attend, the Rainbow would be the one for me, partly because of what happened but also once the sound problems calmed down, they turned in a great valiant performance battling against the odds.

I still wonder if Frank was really telling the truth or not when he claimed the tape ran out just before the incident.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-11-16 02:43   [Quote] 
emmapeelfanclub wrote:

I still wonder if Frank was really telling the truth or not when he claimed the tape ran out just before the incident.

According to Howard Kaylan, Zappa was pushed off the stage after the show had ended and they were waving goodbye and exiting the stage. Frank was putting his guitar back on the stand when he was attacked. Howard had already exited the stage when the incident occurred and he didn't see it. So my guess is that the tape had stopped rolling by the time it happened.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2014-11-16 18:37   [Quote] 
emmapeelfanclub wrote:
alakulju wrote:
Thanks for your comments! When I saw that interview with Mark telling his "heresy theory", I just wanted to ask this famous question: "Mark, are you kidding?"

I think Volman is definitely being revisionist with that theory since he became a Born Again Christian in recent years so his born again attitude will colour such recollections.

He mentioned the same theory in an interview around 1989 or 90 published in Society Pages. I don't know when he became a Christian (I didn't know he was one until I read this).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
emmapeelfanclub
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2014-11-16 21:14   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
emmapeelfanclub wrote:
alakulju wrote:

He mentioned the same theory in an interview around 1989 or 90 published in Society Pages. I don't know when he became a Christian (I didn't know he was one until I read this).

Thanks for that. Fair enough. I stand corrected.

I remember reading that Mark had become "born again" around 2011 or 2012 and recall an interview from the time where he spoke happily about that and Jesus which I remember had me wondering what FZ would had thought!

That's an interesting recollection from Howard about the climax of the Rainbow show since I'd always been led to believe the incident happened whilst they were performing the encore. I had no idea they actually completed the song. Given that "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was unique to the 1971 European tour, I'd had thought FZ would had ensured that be recorded even though the chances of him being able to release it was probably pretty slim. A shame since it's one of those enjoyable F+E curiosities but at least we do have 2 or 3 versions of it from the tapes we have from the tour.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2014-11-17 09:02   [Quote] 
I was there and I remember Frank standing up after putting his guitar in a case and the the guy running on and pushing him backwards into the pit/...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2014-11-18 12:00   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
I was there and I remember Frank standing up after putting his guitar in a case and the the guy running on and pushing him backwards into the pit/...

damn, must have been terrifying. I think you mentioned elsewhere that fans (?) went after the guy? was he beaten (properly)?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2014-11-18 16:09   [Quote] 
He was jumped on and was dragged away... apparently his girlfriend had expressed her hot s for FRANK and he couldn't take it. I was 15 at the time and thought all rock shows must be this dramatic.... Saw the Captain here the next year on the Clear Spot tour... probably my favourite show of all time... oh and The Rainbow sent me 4 rather than 2 tickets for Frank so I could take my brother Mike and another friend both of whom have been ZAPPFANS ever since. Youknow the Rainbow was a special place I can still smell the old cinema/dope/joss sticks...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2014-11-18 16:36   [Quote] 
I seem to remember reading Herb Cohen punched the attacker.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-11-18 21:31   [Quote] 
Herb Cohen did more than punch him, he personally beat the fuck out of the guy. The British press was told that roadies did it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 3 of 3 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: