Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Stravinsky's "Trois poemes de la lyrique japonaise" vs. "Uncle Meat"  
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2014-10-04 08:22   [Quote] 
I'm currently listening to a load of Strawinsky, and in the last 20 seconds of his "Trois poemes de la lyrique japonaise" we get to hear the opening motiv of "Uncle Meat" including a rhythmic variation which later pops up in the cembalo-rubato-section.

I wasn't aware of that, but maybe this already has been discussed?

What I remember already has been mentioned is how much Zappa liked Schönberg's "Serenade op.24" since he grabbed some material of its 5th movement - the "Dance Scene" - and other parts.

If somebody points to an already existing thread of this nature, I'm happy to transfer this post.

edit:
Since this turns out to revolve only around the Stravinsky-thing I changed the thread's title accordingly.

Last edited by cookie_manager on 2014-10-07 08:37; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2014-10-04 08:48   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
Where is Yetanother when we need him the most?

Travelling. He's in Europe and been uploading some interesting stuff on Dime!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2014-10-04 11:13   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
Where is Yetanother when we need him the most?

I'm currently listening to a load of Strawinsky, and in the last 20 seconds of his "Trois poésies de la lyrique japonaise" we get to hear the opening motiv of "Uncle Meat" including a rhythmic variation which later pops up in the cembalo-rubato-section.

I wasn't aware of that, but maybe this already has been discussed?

great catch! here it hear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfWvz6H2So0
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2014-10-04 17:36   [Quote] 
Indeed in the third song (starting at 2:14 in the video brainpang linked) one theme from the flute parts, and the violin at the end, is the same minor third followed by two descending fourths pattern Zappa used in Uncle Meat (although the repeated note at the end of this theme in Zappa's piece is not in Stravinsky's).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
usa.gif
Post 2014-10-06 18:30   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
Indeed in the third song (starting at 2:14 in the video brainpang linked) one theme from the flute parts, and the violin at the end, is the same minor third followed by two descending fourths pattern Zappa used in Uncle Meat (although the repeated note at the end of this theme in Zappa's piece is not in Stravinsky's).

That is amazing that the OP heard that. It definitely matches.

Still, just to play devil's advocate -- how much intentionality of the part of FZ can we ascribe to this? Four diatonically occurring pitches. Could certainly happen by coincidence, no?

We know Zappa heard a lot of ol' Igor. But just asking -- is it more likely that he hit upon a Stravinksky-like sequence that just happened to match this little bit of this piece?

I'm thinking about how quotes are usually meant to be recognized by the listener. A musical joke from composer to audience. If it matched, say, the opening bassoon of the Rite of Spring, then I'd think it'd be unequivocally intentional.

Stunning catch, either way.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-10-06 20:33   [Quote] 
Very nice catch!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2014-10-07 09:05   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
Still, just to play devil's advocate -- how much intentionality of the part of FZ can we ascribe to this? Four diatonically occurring pitches. Could certainly happen by coincidence, no?
I thought that too, and one can never know for sure.

But the intervallic constellation of those four diatonically occurring pitches is quite special, and Zappa's known to really admire Strawinsky...

Anyway, instead of writing complicated descriptive stuff I decided to pair the Strawinsky-bit with said slow "Uncle Meat"- section:
https://soundcloud.com/user775162301/meat

Dark Clothes
Poster
Post 2014-10-07 15:14   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:

I'm hearing more of a similarity from around 3:29 in that clip.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2014-10-07 15:22   [Quote] 
In my post I meant that the third song starts at 2:14. The theme similar to Uncle Meat is most noticeable around 3:29 but also appears a few times earlier.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2014-10-07 16:04   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
In my post I meant that the third song starts at 2:14. The theme similar to Uncle Meat is most noticeable around 3:29 but also appears a few times earlier.

It got me singing about fuzzy dice and bongos so I'd say there's definitely a similarity..

FOB. Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2014-10-07 18:09   [Quote] 
I'm no expert, but 20th century (and other) composers would often use a 'cell' or nucleus as a sort of motif and then see how much they could milk it using inversions, retrograde etc. Igor was a master at this. While we will never know, it would seem within the relm of possibility that Frank as an excercises decided to play with one of Stravinksy's cells. Frank often used repeating the same note to add weight (as opposed to just increasing the note value/length. That would fit with the extra note duplicated in the Uncle Meat motif. Incedentally there is Mars interview where he states he did not like this in Frank's writing) All complete conjecture of course.

Yes. Cool find!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2016-11-13 04:01   [Quote] 
Looks like I missed this thread the first time around. And I was even mentioned in it, though I'm not sure what I was needed for Smile

Anyway, yes, it's an ascending minor third followed by two descending perfect fourths... not a connection I find particularly remarkable when talking about two composers who clearly shared a particular fondness for perfect fourths/fifths. So I tend to lean more towards oofers's interpretation.

I wouldn't exclude the possibility that it's intentional, of course, but more as a borrowing from Stravinsky than a deliberate intention to quote him.

Now I'm intrigued about what cookie_manager said about Schönberg's Serenade - I'll have to revisit it someday, as I really don't remember hearing any Zappa connection there.

arf
Poster
france.gif
Post 2016-11-23 13:29   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM] 
zeeker
Power Poster
Post 2016-11-24 04:12   [Quote] 
Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal. Igor Stravinsky
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: