Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
JABFLA Original Mix vs. Remix  
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-06-24 02:22   [Quote] 
After being informed that the old CD's of JABFLA were in fact a remix different from the original LP, I finally picked up a used copy of the 1995 CD to supplement my copy of the 2012 remaster of the original mix.

It's interesting how very different these two versions are, and how it has eluded us for so long.

The original mix has a wide stereo spread, with a heavy dose of compression. The audience channel is high up in mix and has been processed into fake stereo...clapping and other audience noises can be clearly heard during the songs. Some stereo reverb has been added to the vocal channel which overall gives a very convincing stereo effect for a 4-track recording. The overall sound is rather raw and in-your-face.

The remix reminded me of everything I hate about FZ's digital productions from the 80's. There are channel fluctuations and dropouts all over the place, almost to the point where it sounds like an eaten tape. The stereo spread of the instruments is smeared and has been folded in. The audience channel is in the center and has been mixed way down, and thus various noises on the original mix have been removed. There are also dynamics and ultra-cleanliness which sounds very different from the original mix, but is pretty much negated by the crappy digital processing.

I can see how people would be upset to have the gritty original mix back in circulation, but the Bob Stone remix is so crappy, I simply cannot blame Joe for tossing it. I wish the same could be done for the YCDTOSA series and other releases that are sort of stuck in that state.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2014-06-24 20:03   [Quote] 
i didn't know it was a remix. just when you think you've memorized all the differences.

vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2014-06-24 20:33   [Quote] 
Interesting. For better or worse on the remaster you can hear more clearly some of Franks original edits.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
warewolf95
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2014-07-01 02:21   [Quote] 
Gwonam wrote:
i didn't know it was a remix. just when you think you've memorized all the differences.

The plight of every Zappa fan Very Happy

jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2014-08-12 19:25   [Quote] 
warewolf95 wrote:
Gwonam wrote:

The plight of every Zappa fan Very Happy

This shit is maddening for sure.

bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2014-08-12 20:07   [Quote] 
Love the new version, it just sounds so much better!

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: