Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Road Tapes, Venue #2
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next  
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2013-11-28 06:18   [Quote] 
I can see why Frank didn't release anything by this band. They're not the most exciting lineup. But there's still some great stuff here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2013-11-28 06:51   [Quote] 
Sure, if by "exciting" one uses the 1984 band as the yardstick. However, as far as pure music goes, the Feb-Sep '73 Mothers was most definitely the best live band since the late period early MOI.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2013-11-28 07:01   [Quote] 
Quite frankly, I think they're one of the sloppiest FZ line-ups. At least on this release they are. And the improvs are boring as hell.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2013-11-28 07:52   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
I can see why Frank didn't release anything by this band. They're not the most exciting lineup. But there's still some great stuff here.

I tend to agree, although I believe that's primarily due to Ponty's presence... and maybe Ian had something to do with it too - just consider how fast the band reached absolute awesomeness after those two guys left Very Happy

Those two are obviously not very strong improvisers (I'm still amazed at how Ponty never seems to get bored from playing the same solo in every performance of Farther Oblivion), and of course Ruth should never have been made to improvise anyway.

Having said that, I did enjoy listening to this, like, twice or so. It does have some very strong moments. And the improvs are great as long as those three don't get too involved.

cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2013-11-28 08:22   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
And the improvs are great as long as those three don't get too involved.
I disagree. The only improv bit that really made me listen up with more interest was actually the first 10 or 15 seconds of Ian Underwood starting "All Skate/Dun-Dun-Dun (The Finnish Hit Single)" on synth. Very Happy

Pepe Nusbaum
Power Poster
EU.gif
Post 2013-11-28 09:23   [Quote] 
The best solution for these road tapes is to have them as samples from a few different shows of a particular band. Unless one show or one city is really hot. I am very glad to have this and there is some great stuff on there. You can only expect so much with all the things they have going on with ZPZ, touring and other projects. We are very fortunate to have received something.

If you just been lowered down here on tv by a wire connected to a brown leather harness, forced by a crazy person to insert a mysterious imported lamp into the reproductive orifice of a lady harpist, and you were a dwarf.....would you do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVafHLqjRmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdx7M5ufDfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ip7U-aAMTc
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2013-11-28 09:23   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
JWB wrote:

I tend to agree, although I believe that's primarily due to Ponty's presence... and maybe Ian had something to do with it too - just consider how fast the band reached absolute awesomeness after those two guys left Very Happy

Those two are obviously not very strong improvisers (I'm still amazed at how Ponty never seems to get bored from playing the same solo in every performance of Farther Oblivion), and of course Ruth should never have been made to improvise anyway.

Having said that, I did enjoy listening to this, like, twice or so. It does have some very strong moments. And the improvs are great as long as those three don't get too involved.

with you on this one Mr Brazil... I really don't think that JLP contributes much which is proably why he was sacked by FRANK... I'm trying to think of any good rock violin... the only one that comes to mind is ITS A BEAUTIFL DAY and Dan Hicks if yo count the HOT LICKS as rock.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2013-11-28 10:03   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
yetanother wrote:
And the improvs are great as long as those three don't get too involved.
I disagree. The only improv bit that really made me listen up with more interest was actually the first 10 or 15 seconds of Ian Underwood starting "All Skate/Dun-Dun-Dun (The Finnish Hit Single)" on synth. Very Happy

OK, I have to agree that is the one exception. I like the whole track to be honest, at least until they start with the "dun-dun-dun" routine. The "boogie" section with FZ changing keys and the band following is hilarious!

wingedeelfingerling wrote:
I'm trying to think of any good rock violin...

That's the big mistake. My personal experience has shown me that the violin can be an amazing instrument AS LONG AS YOU DON'T AMPLIFY IT Very Happy

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2013-11-28 10:15   [Quote] 
I just realized that the 'dun-dun-dun' motif happens to be very characteristic of one passage in part II of the Rite... is it "evocation of the ancestors"?

OK, that makes it a little bit funnier. Ha ha. Very Happy

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2013-11-28 10:27   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
I'm trying to think of any good rock violin...
That's the big mistake. My personal experience has shown me that the violin can be an amazing instrument AS LONG AS YOU DON'T AMPLIFY IT Very Happy

Well I quite enjoy Eddie Jobson's playing on the '76/'77 'Black Napkins' (Paris in particular) as I do Shankar's playing on 'No More Mr Nice Girl'.

FOB. Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2013-11-28 10:40   [Quote] 
Big Swifty is IMO one very high point of this release. The way Duke switches to that 11/8 groove for his solo just after the end of the theme is just beautiful.

Looks like I may be returning to at least some of the tracks a few more times, after all.

Last edited by yetanother on 2013-11-29 04:26; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2013-11-28 10:41   [Quote] 
JLP and Ian not good improvisers? Baloney!

1973 pre-Roxy band too sloppy? Whatever!

Electric violin? I second Eddie Jobson's "Black Napkins" solos. And I dare anyone say "Directly From My Heart To You" is the worst song on Weasels Ripped My Flesh.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2013-11-28 11:29   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:
I dare anyone say "Directly From My Heart To You" is the worst song on Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

Hm, I don't think of these things as "best" or "worst", but at least it's one of the least interesting. And least original, considering it's a cover. (Also, note that Sugarcane Harris didn't play an electric.)

Harris was definitely a far better improviser than Ponty, though presumably not as good a reader.

cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2013-11-28 11:43   [Quote] 
This goes a bit off-topic, but when it comes to Ian Underwood's soloing, I'd like to add that "Ian Underwood Whips It Out" is quite a strong and fiery statement, and blows away at least the weaker avantgarde jazz horn players from that period. But okay, that number stands out for me, seems to me like a big exception.

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2013-11-28 11:50   [Quote] 
After reading some of the above critical comments, I am glad I am just a primitive ape man that listens to music as if it was beamed in from another planet, totally mystified as to how it came into existence.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 16 of 22 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: