Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Shepherds Bush 2013  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner -> Zappa Plays Zappa
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2013-11-12 08:56   [Quote] 
Who else went?

What a fantastic gig!! Anyone who doesn't like this band is either tone deaf or an Eric Crapton fan!

I've seen ZPZ quite a few times and I can confidently say this was the best gig by quite a way. I really hope it was captured by someone.
I don't really know where to start with my mini review, it was all so great! Sheila's sax playing has come on a lot and her solo's in Black Page and... err.. can't remember which other one I really liked, but they were all good!
Hearing the entire Roxy album was just so fantastic..... we even had audience participation! (although the amount of volunteers to go on stage was depressingly small.... nothing like the 70's! And I got the feeling ''Gaynor'' was rather dragged up on stage by her more enthusiastic mate ''Laura''). The second set was even better imho. Someone must have adjusted Dweez's effects levels in the break because his guitar sound just blew me away! (just like Frank's used to). We had 'Torture', an unexpected 'I Come From Nowhere', a bonus 'Cosmic Debris' and a few from 'Sheik Yerbouti'. The encore was 'Watermelon' and 'Muffin Man'! How fucking fantastic is that?!

For people who slag off what ZPZ do I'd just say this:
Last night I went to see a gig where a lot of my favourite Zappa songs were played by a bloke with an SG (called Zappa) and his band. It was tight, loud, fun, and very very entertaining and enjoyable. It's certainly the nearest thing to a 'real' FZ gig any of us will get to see.

The only slight downer was (again) the late arrival on stage (over half an hour late). I was standing down in the ''Be-Bop Tango'' area with MOB (Mrs 0Bliv) and it was very hot and crowded..... NOT the sort of place you want to stand around for an extra half hour doing nothing...... In fact, if someone hadn't opened the doors to let a lovely cool breeze in halfway through 'Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?' , ZPZ might have found themselves playing another extremely rare song, an unscheduled 'Medical Emergency' (ala: Salt Lake City late 03/12-80...) as I passed out on the floor!

FOB. Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-11-12 10:38   [Quote] 
Yep, my 10th ZPZ gig and certainly one of the best. Amazing that just DZ and Scheila are now all that remain from the first line-up, but the 'new' band members have slotted in seamlessly and are making it fun.

Catch them if you can.

Thing-Chris
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2013-11-12 14:19   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
Anyone who doesn't like this band is either tone deaf or an Eric Crapton fan!

That's the spirit. You wouldn't want any EC fans around to kill your watermelon buzz. Such clever wordplay too. ;( Did you make that up yourself?

I'm so glad. I'm so glad. I'm glad... you had a good time.

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2013-11-12 14:43   [Quote] 
Thing-Chris wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:

That's the spirit. You wouldn't want any EC fans around to kill your watermelon buzz. Such clever wordplay too. ;( Did you make that up yourself?

I'm so glad. I'm so glad. I'm glad... you had a good time.

Please don't be upset about it, I'm sure Eric isn't.

FOB. Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2013-11-12 15:25   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:

Man, what a way to find out I'm an Eric Clapton fan... I think I'd almost rather be tone deaf...

LudzNL
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2013-11-12 19:20   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:
Yep, my 10th ZPZ gig and certainly one of the best. Amazing that just DZ and Scheila are now all that remain from the first line-up, but the 'new' band members have slotted in seamlessly and are making it fun.

Catch them if you can.

Idiot please explain.........
I've seen ZPZ 8 times, from the very first show in Amsterdam upto the Roundhouse in 2010.
I've walked out before the end 3 times, because they sounded like a copy band or the Dweez was noodling.

Please explain to me what has changed ?

Yuke
Busy Poster
Post 2013-11-12 19:27   [Quote] 
LudzNL wrote:
I've seen ZPZ 8 times, from the very first show in Amsterdam upto the Roundhouse in 2010.
I've walked out before the end 3 times, because they sounded like a copy band or the Dweez was noodling.

Hm. I'd rather see that explained Very Happy

What was different enough to keep you going?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Yuke
Busy Poster
Post 2013-11-12 19:29   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:

Man, what a way to find out I'm an Eric Clapton fan... I think I'd almost rather be tone deaf...

A double hyperbole - rare in the wild.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
LudzNL
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2013-11-12 19:34   [Quote] 
Yuke wrote:

What was different enough to keep you going?

Dweezil is a skilled guitarplayer with very skilled musicians in his band and every time hoping for some excitement (not delivered yet to me)

It aint Frank

mycroftxxx
Contributor
nepal.gif
Contributor
Post 2013-11-12 20:16   [Quote] 
LudzNL wrote:
It aint Frank

even frank ain't frank... he's worm food...

Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-11-12 20:55   [Quote] 
LudzNL wrote:
Idiot wrote:

Catch them if you can.

Idiot please explain.........

Please explain to me what has changed ?

(i) Dweezil has improved tremendously as a guitarist in the last few years - having nailed Frank's sound, he's now creating his own unique 'sculptures';
(ii) Ben Thomas has also improved/grown on me: when he first joined, Scheila and Chris seemed to be singing lead more than they do now. Check out Ben's performance on Lucille from FOH III;
(iii) Scheila keeps getting more impressive every year - amazing sax solo last night during Them Or Us;
(iv) Last night the whole band seemed to be a little looser than hitherto, all having more genuine fun up there. Finally, some real humour!;
(v) I've never felt like walking out on them before, but there used to be an air of superiority /"we're the real deal" about them that is now fading;
(vi) They are the best Zappa 'copy band' I have ever seen, bar (band) none;
(vii) They played Watermelon!

franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-11-12 23:27   [Quote] 
I wish to emphasise a point Idiot is partly making (as I understand it) and that is that DZ/ZPZ aren't so defensive anymore about being the real deal - not in terms of being FZ but in terms of being a band that plays FZ music. And they are enjoying themselves. Howzat? imslow
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner -> Zappa Plays Zappa All times are GMT

Jump to: