Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1980 04 29 (L) Upper Darby PA 106.52 SBD (Greg Z-flambay-STB) LOSSY ZTLS#575
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2013-05-20 03:11   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
The originals were one long file for each show. Converting to WAV allows for track splitting without introducing gaps.

You can track without converting to WAV, using software like MP3DirectCut. What you can't do without converting to WAV is speed correction. So boomba, that's why it's in FLAC.

father-0blivion wrote:
AFAIK the little 'x' (delete) is there in the top right when you first post but as soon as you navigate away from the thread that cross disappears leaving only the 'edit' and 'quote' buttons (even if no-one has posted after you)

Wrong. The X usually remains there as long as your post is the last one on the thread.

It seems to me that for whatever reason beyond the fringe of audience comprehension the admins decided to remove the "delete post" function...

jej
france.gif
Post 2013-05-20 08:46   [Quote] 
thank you very much for this folks, the night is now complete

my never seen (except by me !) FZShow wish : 1982 06 01 Bordeaux, perhaps one time ?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2013-05-20 10:17   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
boomba wrote:
Why distribute this as flac if it came from an mp3 source? I don't understand. It is a waste, and it takes up more space on the hard drive. I can convert it myself, but it seems deceptive. Isn't that what mn was doing? I don't mean to step on any toes here, just wondering.

The originals were one long file for each show. Converting to WAV allows for track splitting without introducing gaps.

You can track without converting to WAV, using software like MP3DirectCut. What you can't do without converting to WAV is speed correction. So boomba, that's why it's in FLAC.

You don't want to create an additional lossy step in your lineage by re-compressing an original MP3 file from WAV (after speed correction and other edits)
back to MP3, and thereby cause more unnecessary destruction to the quality of your original recording.

The quality difference between an original mp3 file re-encoded to FLAC,
and the same original mp3 file re-compressed to mp3/320 kbps (additional lossy step)
is visible in the frequency analysis comparison between the two:
(orange line: mp3/320 > wav > flac
dark line: mp3/320 > wav > mp3/320)

Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2013-05-20 11:26   [Quote] 
Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to explain this flambay, these things aren't always obvious to the less technically minded amongst us.

FOB. Smile

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2013-05-20 11:39   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to explain this flambay, these things aren't always obvious to the less technically minded amongst us.

FOB. Smile

Well done gentlemen! clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap
 [Profile]  [PM] 
taurus
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2013-05-20 15:31   [Quote] 
Not a big fan of mp3 but if we could get all shows in this quality, I'd take mp3 every time. Thanks Greg Z, flambay and STB. Awesome shows.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
damit
france.gif
Post 2013-05-20 20:18   [Quote] 
Thanx Buddies !

I LOVE IT
THE SOUND TOO
on my senior headphones Wink

HUGS
 [Profile]  [PM] 
voodoostrat
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2013-05-22 02:33   [Quote] 
Gracias!

StrokeTheBoots
Power Poster
Post 2013-05-22 19:52   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
From this show I think "I'm A Beautiful Guy" and "Beauty Knows No Pain" were used as basic tracks on YAWYI.

"If Only She Woulda" from the first show is from YAWYI, for example. For the "Beauty"-tracks here I can't tell. -

Maybe it is smarter to seed the changes when we've clarified what pbuzby supposes for the two mentioned tracks, hm? So folks, take a listen and tell what you think.

I think it is very likely that FZ used a few of these tracks on YAWYI. In the first show he mentions after "Chunga" that they're recording the show (which is nothing special in the Zappa-World, I know....but maybe he was talking special equipment here?).

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2013-05-22 20:28   [Quote] 
For this spring 1980 tour these April 29 shows seem to have been the only ones recorded multitrack.

Anyway, in my opinion it would be best to correct the name of Treacherous Cretins and modify the seed. The other details are minor.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
boomba
usa.gif
Post 2013-05-23 00:31   [Quote] 
flambay wrote:
yetanother wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
boomba wrote:
Why distribute this as flac if it came from an mp3 source? I don't understand. It is a waste, and it takes up more space on the hard drive. I can convert it myself, but it seems deceptive. Isn't that what mn was doing? I don't mean to step on any toes here, just wondering.

You don't want to create an additional lossy step in your lineage by re-compressing an original MP3 file from WAV (after speed correction and other edits)
back to MP3, and thereby cause more unnecessary destruction to the quality of your original recording.

The quality difference between an original mp3 file re-encoded to FLAC,
and the same original mp3 file re-compressed to mp3/320 kbps (additional lossy step)
is visible in the frequency analysis comparison between the two:
(orange line: mp3/320 > wav > flac
dark line: mp3/320 > wav > mp3/320)

Thanks for the explanation. So basically this was done for tracking, and speed correction. Appreciate the explanation.

usa.gif
Post 2013-05-23 04:58   [Quote] 
Perspective: At the risk of "overposting"... I had tears in my eyes from the opening moments of "Deathles... er uh.. I mean... Trecherous Cretins...." The drops only got larger... What a fantastic find this is... "Glossy but Lossy" sums it up so well... bottom line- it just sounds basically "clean"... Certainly better than anything I ever heard with my own ears at a Zappa show!
I will never be able to appropriately express my full appreciation for what Zappateers does and "is"- it is all "Wonderment". Or "Vundermint"...
Damn... my quote key locked up... guess I gotta go as I can no longer properly "express myself". Oh... "Wait a minute.."
PS: Thanks for all the technical interpretations... clarification is always so helpful, or , at the very least, entertaining...
PPS: Zappateers has no idea how much the music you present means to a small group of "Gentlemen" originating from Centerville, Ohio ("a great place to raise your kids...") but it's a lot. Really appreciated. Totally...

StrokeTheBoots
Power Poster
Post 2013-05-24 08:41   [Quote] 
UPDATED THE SEED. SEE FIRST POST Smile

ichbinmaroon
Power Poster
EU.gif
Post 2013-05-24 19:27   [Quote] 
bravo Patricia, the loveable dog from The Perfect Stranger (and others!), dancing
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
StrokeTheBoots
Power Poster
Post 2013-05-24 19:33   [Quote] 
StrokeTheBoots wrote:
UPDATED THE SEED. SEE FIRST POST Smile

Folks, does it work? I'm not at home until tomorrow, my computer is running a there over night... when I left, the seed was not uploading...

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 6 of 8 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Shows All times are GMT

Jump to: